Please see the sample Editathon/Training application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Recruit new female editors from Nigerian Tertiary Institutions.
- Add or improve content on Wikimedia projects
- Engage existing Wikimedians
- Increase members of Wikimedia User Group Nigeria
- Create awareness about Wikimedia projects.
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. Are you doing one editathon or training or a series of editathons or trainings?
- We plan to do training and editathons for a period of one month.
2. How will you let your community know about the event? Please paste links below to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions.
3. Do you have experienced Wikimedia editors to lead the event?
- Yes, we have enough experienced Wikimedians
4. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them?
- Yes, the participants have equipment to participate in the project. However, they lack the skills to contribute to Wikipedia, the proposed training and mentor-ship program are meant to cover for the gaps.
5. How will you engage participants after the event(s)?
- There will be mentor-ship program.
6. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- This project was designed as part of "SHE CAN with ICT", organised by W-TECH in conjuction Wiki Loves Women. "SHE CAN with ICT" is a series of Entrepreneurship and ICT workshops for young women who are about starting or already in business and professional careers. The “SHE CAN with ICT” project was launched in 2015 and this is the 3rd edition in the series.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets:
- If 6 training are organized
- If at least 100 people participate
- If at least 20 new editors are recruited
- if at least 100 new articles are created or improved
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- As indicated in our MOU with our local partner(W-Tech),all resources for the project will be provide by W-TECH but WUGN will cover the cost of accommodation, food, local travels and data for her facilitators who are experience Wikimedians.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- Project budget table
|Rubric||Number||Unit price||Total NGN||Total USD||Notes|
|Accomodation||8||40000||320000||1006.23||To accommodate 4 experienced wikipedians at the rate of N10,000 (31.45 USD) per night per Wikipedian for 8 Nights.|
|Transport||3||20000||60000||188.10||Each experienced Wikipedian is expected to embark on 2 trips (to-fro) for the event. Each trip would cost N20000 per person. Therefore, N60,000 will cover the transport for 3 Wikipedians. The fourth wikipedian resides in Lagos.|
|Certificate of participation||30||550||16500||50.88||This will be issued as a certificate of achievement or completion to students that fully participate in the training. Students may want to reference that certificate on their CV. At least 30 students will participate fully.|
- Total cost of project
1862.58 USD / 592300 NGN
Memorandum of UnderstandingEdit
The two parties involved in this relationship have signed a MOU.
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
- I would like to shed some more light on this partnership and grant submitted by the Wikimedia Nigeria user group.
The Women’s Technology Empowerment Centre, W.TEC, is a Nigerian non-governmental organisation working to empower girls and women socially and economically, using information and communication technologies (ICTs).
I met Modupe Darabidan, head of business development, at the Mobile West Africa conference in Lagos back in April 2016. We began talking about finding different ways to collaborate in Nigeria. She went into great detail about the many projects and programs they work on in Lagos and other parts of Nigeria. When I explained to her about our Nigerian community, she immediately showed interest in hearing more about the current Wikimedia related efforts on the ground. We then exchanged contact information and agreed to continue our conversation to dig deeper into potential partnerships between our organisations. About a week later, we had our first Skype call and Modupe share information about the SHE CAN WITH ICT Project they are in charge of and was asking how the Nigerian Wikimedia user group could be included. I had 2 other follow up Skype calls with her and established an ongoing communication to better understand their projects. At that point, I knew that the SHE CAN WITH ICT project is best suited to be led on by the community in Nigeria as they want to focus on editing skills. I introduced Modupe to Shola and the rest of the Nigerian user group via email. They conducted a few calls and met in person in Lagos and began discussing the details of the partnership and the MOU.
The SHE CAN WITH ICT (Sustaining Her Enterprise, Career, and Network with ICT) project is a series of Entrepreneurship and ICT workshops for women currently in or preparing for business and professional careers.
This programme would include the following 4 modules: -Digital Literacy & Advocacy -Entrepreneurship & Job-readiness -Mentorship -Internship
The overall goal of the SHE CAN WITH ICT project is to expose more women to opportunities which are available to them in the technology sphere and how they how best to harness these available resources.
This project is a valuable initiative because it not only creates an opportunity to underprivileged women in Nigeria to contribute to Wikipedia but it also addresses the existing gender gap and the underrepresentation of African female editors in our sites.