Grants:Project/Rapid/Wikilover90/Wikimedian in Residence - Municipal Library, Patiala
Briefly explain what are you trying to accomplish with this project, or what do you expect will change as a result of this grant. Example goals include, "recruit new editors", "add high quality content", or "train existing editors on a specific skill".
Punjabi Wikimedians UG wants to establish a good relationship with Public institutions and to establish a level of credibility of Punjabi Wikipedia and its sister projects among the government institutes and the public. In view of that, we will be collaborating with the Municipal State Library, Patiala as part of a GLAM cum Wikisource Project. This project will be lead by Wikilover90 who will be coordinating the official collaborations and activities between the institution and the community. Along with that, taking and educating the staff about the importance of Wikimedia values, practices and how to contribute to the platform.
The work to be done in this pilot project will be an important milestone for the Punjabi community. The important medieval literature is essential for Punjabi Wikisource and collaborating with the library will allow us access to rare books that are available in this institution. Wikilover90 will make a repository of at least 100 Punjabi books in the library already in the public domain via offline research and online verification among the available information at different internet archives.
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. What will you and other volunteers spend your time doing? We want to have a partnership with the Government library to establish a long term relationship with the Wikimedia community, so we can continue to have access and permission to digitize important Punjabi Literature essential for Wikipedia and Wikisource project(s). This collaboration will set a precedence for other government institutes to partner with the user group. We would use this project as an example to entice other GLAM institutions to form partnerships with us.
The project will hire a Wikipedia in Residence (WIR) for a period of two months. The WIR will be responsible for but not limited to; two meetings, 1 workshop, 4 proofreading Edit-a-thons and scanning events will be organized where the community will join in various capacities, including, proofreading, OCR and Scanning tasks, article creation and another workshop for the integration of acquired content from Wikisource with the relevant Wikipedia articles.
The WIR will be responsible for:
- Liaising between the lawyer (legal practitioner) and the government institution to ensure all legalities (crafting of the agreement) and licensing requirements are clearly understood by the Government Institution to the agreement.
- Organize meetups and workshops with government staff associated with the institution to promote understanding of Wikimedia projects.
- Build credibility with Punjab Government institutes about Wikipedia and Wikisource projects.
- Organize proofreading edit-a-thons and Wikisource Workshop for the Punjabi community.
- Identifying and building a list of books in the library that are already in the Public Domain. In this 19th century library of the 60,000 books with 20,300 books of Punjabi - we need to identify and build a list of authors and their books whose death happened 60 years back. Copyright laws in India are complicated keeping them in mind when they were published along with keeping in mind US Copyright Laws.
- Will need to make a list of directory, starting as pilot list of 50 books after searching and reaching with the online repositories, in the library. The complexity of this task arises due to unavailability of this information online.
- Scan and digitize the identified 50 copyright books of Punjabi, Urdu, Hindi and English books that have importance in literature and culture of Punjab.
- Organize a proofread event to proofread at least 20 books scanned during this project
- We will also try to find books to be scanned as a layer for 111 texts already present on Punjabi Wikisource that don't yet have a scan.
- Ensure Media coverage of the partnership with the government institution and consequent work done by the community to bring more awareness to masses about Wikipedia and its sister projects.
- Coordinate Edit-a-thons, scanning, OCR and proofreading events and bring Wikimedians on-site to work with staff on content creation and improvements.
How will you let your community know about the event? Please paste links below to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions.
Village pump Whatsapp group Facebook group Offline meetup
What will you have done at the end of your project? How will you follow-up with people that are involved with your project?
- By the end of the project, we will have a list of 100 public domain books that will be uploaded on Wikimedia Commons and Wikisource after verifying with online resources.
- 50 books will be digitised and at least 20 of them proofread by the community.
- 4 edit-a-thons and 1 workshops will be organized by the end of the project which will improve community engagement.
- Most importantly, we will have established a trusted relationship with government officers who will assist us in future collaborations as well.
This partnership will set an example that we can use for other GLAM collaborations for various Wikimedia projects in the future.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more specific to your project:
- Number of total participants : 6 participants for each event over 4 workshops
- Number of books digitized: 50
- List of copyright free books: 100
- Books integrated in Wikisource and Wikipedia after proofreading: 20
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- WIR - Coordinate the Workshops, Work on developing the List of Books of Punjabi, Hindi, Urdu and English in Public Domain, scan, upload and OCR of the uploaded content, facilitate the meeting with the lawyer, and Government officials and educate the staff members of library about Wikipedia and its sister projects.
Time Divided in different tasks:
- 10 percent of time liaison between lawyer and community to ensure books selected are free of copyright
- 10 percent reporting
- 20 percent organizing offline and events
- 20 percent Supervision of digitizing process by staff to ensure it is done the right way keeping quality of digization, with right techniques
- 20 percent Finding the texts and Verifying on online archives
- 20 percent formalizing the collaboration and discussions with the partner institution
- Advisor - Satdeep Gill, Founding Member of Punjabi Wikimedians
- Lecturers & Professors - Dr. Rajinder Singh, Dr. Rajinder Pal Singh Brar, and Dr. Surjit Singh, being veteran professors of Punjabi Literature at Punjabi University, Patiala will share their resources and knowledge about important authors.
- Lawyer - Lawyer would advise us with the Copyright Laws associated with India, ensure all legalities (crafting of the agreement) and licensing requirements are clearly understood by both parties as well as help us verify the list of books in the Public Domain.
- Volunteer(s) - Digitization, Proofreading, upload content on all required Wikimedia Projects, and create articles on Wikipedia relevant to the digitized books in this project.
- Equipment - A Fujitsu SV600 Scanner and several experienced Wikipedians who have knowledge on how to use it and are ready to support with the process.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- Monthly expenses and taxes for program manager at WIR 575*2 = 1150 USD
- Workshops and event expense 30*5 = 150 USD
- Miscellaneous (about 7% of total budget) = 100 USD
- Total = 1400 USD
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
- Gurlal Maan (talk) 09:02, 3 September 2018 (UTC)
- Support --J. Ansari Talk 10:51, 3 September 2018 (UTC)
- Support - Satpal Dandiwal (talk) 16:55, 3 September 2018 (UTC)
- Very great initiative and happy for such a relevant partnership Flixtey (talk) 23:27, 4 September 2018 (UTC)
- Support Seeing something related to WiR programs after a long-time. I am sure that this can be a case study for other such partnerships in India in near future. KCVelaga (talk) 14:35, 17 September 2018 (UTC)
- Advisor This is a much needed project for the growth of Punjabi Wikisource. I will be joining this project as an advisor. Satdeep Gill (talk) 12:31, 2 September 2018 (UTC)
- Volunteer I would like to join this project as a volunteer --Dugal harpreet (talk) 12:45, 2 September 2018 (UTC)
- Gurlal Maan (talk) 09:01, 3 September 2018 (UTC)
- Volunteer I join in this project as Volunteer Stalinjeet Brar (talk) 11:39, 3 September 2018 (UTC)
- Volunteer; Excited! I would like to be part of this project. - Satpal Dandiwal (talk) 16:48, 3 September 2018 (UTC)