Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Recruit and increase skills of new editors for the Spanish Wikipedia
- Add or improve content in articles about Peruvian nature and cultures
- Create educational videos about editing Spanish Wikipedia in the Peruvian context
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. Are you doing one editathon or training or a series of editathons or trainings?
- We will organize a series of six online events through this project: 4 Wikipedia training workshops & 2 Editathons.
2. How will you let your community know about the event? Please paste links below to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions.
- We will use communication strategies like social media and partnerships with private and public institutions (University in Huaraz, private museum in Lima, Ministry of Culture and similar).
3. Do you have experienced Wikimedia editors to lead the event?
- Yes, we have organized editathons, photo walks and training events in Huaraz in 2018 & 2019 in alliance with Arte+Feminism Peru. They will assist us in the third edition.
4. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them?
- We hope to attract both editors with and without skills in Peru (and outside). We will organize 4 online training workshops (webinars) in the following topics related to natural and cultural heritage:
- i. Botanical photography (in the context of Wikimedia Commons),
- ii. Creating archaelogical artifacts articles in Spanish Wikipedia,
- iii. Creating articles about persons in Spanish Wikipedia,
- iv. Uploading images in Wikimedia Commons.
- We will also produce organize 4 educational videos with university students. Each of these videos will be presented by volunteers in Huaraz and address internet audiences interested in contributing to the Spanish Wikipedia. In the first two editions we have trained students from the environmental engineering and archaeology schools from the local public university. Volunteers from the , communicational sciences school will participate in video production and promotion. The videos will be focusing in the following topics related to natural and cultural heritage:
- i. Creating botanical species articles in Spanish Wikipedia,
- ii. Creating archaeological sites articles in Spanish Wikipedia,
- iii. Creating mountain articles in Spanish Wikipedia,
- iv. Creating bodies of water articles in Spanish Wikipedia,
- The four webinars and four educational videos will be uploaded to YouTube and promoted before the editathons. The videos will be shared under a Creative Commons license which is compatible with the Wikimedia projects.
5. How will you engage participants after the event(s)?
- Engaging participants after the events is the challenge. We believe that by organizing the webinars and creating the educational videos and uploading them to YouTube we can help editors with and without editing skills. Also, we plan to identify articles about the topics to be created and improved, creating a list of these communicating their relevance and visibilizing the list through social media. We will invite some editors from Peru to participate.
- We will have six live and virtual events: 4 workshops and the 2 editathons. Both online editathons (one about cultural heritage and the other about natural heritage) will take place on a weekend (Saturday and Sunday). These two online will be form part of a larger editathon dedicated to Andean Cultural & Natural Heritage. We will aim to have a banner of this at least one-month event to be included in the Spanish Wikipedia.
6. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- In the first and second editions, we focused five types of articles: plants, mountains, environmental liabilities, archaeological sites and lakes. For the third edition, we will be including also relevant persons and archaeological artifacts in relation to culture and nature in Peru. In the following table, we show some of the articles missing in the Spanish Wikipedia we will probably be tacking:
|Plants||Aurinsho (Muehlenbeckia andina), Manka paki (Diplostephium sagasteguii), Puka maqa (Gentianella weberbaueri), Tsuqirwa (Senecio rufescens)|
|Mountains||Uruashraju, Cashan, Rurec, Maparaju, Shacsha, Carnicero, Cordillera La Raya|
|Bodies of water||Laguna Antacocha, Laguna Contaycocha, Laguna Huallcacocha, Laguna Jancarurish, Lagunas Safuna, Laguna Jatuncocha, Lagunas Artizon, Baños Termales de Chancos|
|Persons||Solón Tello, Grimaldo Rengifo, María Apaza|
|Archaeological artifacts||Estela de Pacopampa, Altar de Choque Chinchay, Monolito Kuntur Wasi, Contorsionista Cupisnique|
|Archaeological sites||Wamanwaka (Prov. Bolognesi), Kanapun (Prov. Huaraz), Pashash (Prov. Pallasca), Chinchawas (Prov. Huaraz), Tumba de Jancu (Prov. Huaraz), Ñawpamarca (Prov. Huari), Ishla Ranra (Prov. Huari), Llamacorral (Prov. Huari), Waman Wain (Prov. Huari)|
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets:
- Number of events: 10
- Number of participants: >25
- Number of new editors: >15
- Number of educational videos created: 4
- Number of virtual conferences (webinar) implemented: 4
- Number of edithatons implemented: 2
- Number of articles created or improved: >30 (created)
- Number of repeat participants (for projects that include a series of events): >5
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- Vasos Comunicantes is the organizer of the project. As Wikimedian-in-Residence, Carlo Brescia, will lead the project and will be in charge of collecting resources, training/engaging new editors and organizing the events. Will also communicate with volunteers in order to plan, organize & implement the activities, create alliances with individual and organizational partners, and coordinate the video production and promotion with volunteers. Allied institutions will be Art+Feminism collective in Lima, the Ministry of Culture, private cultural institutions such as museums and cultural centers. They will bring their know-how and social networks for the marketing of the events.
- Art+Feminism volunteers (2) will lead two training workshops (What is Wikimedia, Editing biographies in Wikipedia in Spanish, Editing in Commons), promote the events, videos and objectives, and participate in the election of the winners of the contests during the editathon
- An university professor volunteer (1) will lead one training worshop (Creating archaeological artifacts articles in Wikipedia in Spanish), promote the events, videos and objectives, and participate in the election of the winners of the contests during the editathon
- A photographer volunteer (1) will lead one training worshop (Botanical photography in the context of Wikimedia Commons), promote the events, videos and objectives, and participate in the election of the winners of the contests during the editathon
- University students in Huaraz (4) will contribute to produce four educational videos (Creating archaeological sites, plants, mountains and lakes in Wikipedia in Spanish) by participating in the preproduction, production and post production activities.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- Graphic design of affiches and certificates = 200 USD
- Prizes for best editors (Peruvian books about Andean cultural and natural heritage, 9 prizes) = 450 USD
- Shipping and handling of prizes = 135 USD
- Volunteers (4) producing videos this Wikimedia project = 320 USD
- Zoom meeting suscription = 60 USD
- Wikimedian-in-Residence = 280 USD
- Books to recognize exceptional volunteer contributions = 80 USD
- Volunteers (3) promoting online this Wikimedia project = 360 USD
- Equipment rental for video production ( laptop, video cameras, microphones, tripod) = 80 USD
- International bank transfer = 35 USD
TOTAL = 2000 USD
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!