Please see the sample Editathon/Training application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Recruit and increase skills of new editors for the Spanish Wikipedia
- Add or improve content in articles about the Andes in the city of Huaraz in Peru for the first edition
- Improve the quality of the content on Wikimedia projects by providing images to the articles
- Recruit new contributors to Wikimedia Commons in the city of Huaraz for the first edition
- Inform nature enthusiast organizations about the possibility to contribute to Wikimedia projects
- Promote the participation of academics into creating and improving articles in Wikimedia projects
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. Are you doing one editathon or training or a series of editathons or trainings?
- We will organize one edithaton and three training activities in the following order:
- i. Two Wikipedia edition trainings,
- ii. Wikimedia commons editing and Plant & natural landscapes photography workshop,
- iii. Photo walk in natural area, and
- iv. Editathon.
2. How will you let your community know about the event? Please paste links below to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions.
- We will use communication strategies like social media and posters in pertinent locations in the city. We will use the media channels of our allies like the Glacier and Mountain Ecosystems Research Institute (INAIGEM), the National University Santiago Antunez de Mayolo (UNASAM) and the Ancash Regional Office of the Ministry of Culture in Peru.
3. Do you have experienced Wikimedia editors to lead the event?
- Yes, we are allied with Arte+Feminismo Peru. They will conduct the first editing training and participate in the editathon.
4. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them?
- We will conduct three training workshops in Spanish Wikipedia and Wikimedia Commons. We will provide materials, links to educational resources and guidance.
5. How will you engage participants after the event(s)?
- We will conduct a simple assessment, provide reports of the activities and create audiovisual material to promote the creation and improvement of articles in Wikipedia about the Andean ecosystems.
6. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
In the following table, we show some of the articles missing in the Spanish and English wikipedia about plants, mountains and lakes. For the first edition, we will be focusing only in the Spanish wikipedia and the ecosystems of the Cordillera Blanca.
|Article (en) *||Article (es) **||Type||Needs Picture?|
|Desmodium molliculum||Desmodium molliculum||Plant||Yes|
|Isoetes andicola||Isoetes andicola||Plant||Yes|
|Plantago linearis||Plantago linearis||Plant||Yes|
|Tagetes elliptica||Tagetes elliptica||Plant||Yes|
|Perezia multiflora||Perezia multiflora||Plant||Yes|
|Lake Churup||Laguna Churup||Lake||Yes|
- Articles in blank in the (en) column are missing in the English Wikipedia.
- Articles in black in the (es) column are missing in the Spanish Wikipedia.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets:
- Number of events: 5
- Number of participants: 40-50
- Number of new editors: 30-40
- Number of of articles created or improved: 20/20
- Number of repeat participants (for projects that include a series of events): 30
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding). Vasos Comunicantes is the organizer of the project. The name 'vasos comunicantes' means 'communicating vessels' and the organization looks for that: to link ideas, persons and organizations in order to contribute to promotion of sustainability cultures in the Andes. Created in 2004 as a non-for-profit association, it has been organizing interdisciplinary events related to Andean cultures and environments. It's project manager, Carlo Brescia, will be in charge of the implementation of the activities with local and regional allies.
- What do we have?
- The locations for the workshops (UNASAM and INAIGEM premises), which have free access to broadband wireless internet.
- Technical support to improve and create articles (UNASAM and INAIGEM gather students, teachers and researchers).
- 20-30 PC computers and other necessary equipment (eg. multimedia projector) in university lab (UNASAM).
- The locations for the photo walk and workshop (Ministry of Culture and Huascaran National Park).
- Social media channels to promote the events and the participation of students and researchers (UNASAM, INAIGEM, Ancash Regional Office of the Ministry of Culture, Programa Puntos de Cultura Perú).
- Editing capabilities of the video and photographic material produced.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- Bus transport from Lima to Huaraz (and return) of Arte+Feminismo partners (2 persons x 2 events) = $ 250
- Accommodation and board for Arte+Feminismo partners (2 persons x 2 days) = $ 120
- Food and drink for 2 workshops and 1 editathon, 50 people per event= $ 400
- Food and drink for 1 photo walk and 1 photo workshops, 30 people per event= $ 200
- Bus rental for photo walk in natural area (30 persons, 1 day) = $ 200
- Development and printing of editing guides = $ 200
- Graphic design of posters and printing = $ 230
- Video recording of the events, including camera, tripod and audio equipment rental = $ 250
- Office supplies = $ 50
- Graphic design of certificates and printing = $ 50
- International bank transfer costs = $ 50
Total = $ 2000
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!