Please see the sample Contest application before drafting your application.
Project Goal Edit
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- To introduce Africa Wiki Challenge with the theme celebrating Landmarks in Africa by uploading media files (photos, audios,videos) about Tanzania’s (and Africa’s) landmarks.
- Recruit new contributors (professional photographers and non professional)to wikipedia projects.
- Engage existing editors to collaborate with the new editors in adding more contents especially in Swahili Wikipedia about Tanzania’s (Africa’s) landmarks.
- Raise some awareness on the importance of documenting Africa’s landmarks on Wikipedia
- Increase capacity building about how to contribute to Wikicommpns through this project
Project Plan Edit
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
- Conducting training sessions and sharing knowldge with photographers on how to upload photos to Wikipedia..
- Setup and run photo competition with a focus on collecting quality freely licensed images of Tanzania’s landmarks to Wiki commons for Wikimedia projects.
- Most Tanzanian photographers and contributors are online, we will use our WLA social media channels for Tanzania, to promote the project
- We will conduct at least 2 main online events, and do 2 photo hunts, to share knowledge on how to collect best and quality images that can be useful for Wikipedia projects, and hold uploading sessions during the event.
1. What content will the contest focus on, and why is it important to your community?
- The conntent will focus on documenting Africa’s and specifically Tanzania’s Landmarks. This is important in both perspectives of closing the content gap when it comes to African languages and as well raising awaresness about the existence of these landmarks to the world through Wikicommons and Wikipedia.
2. How will you let people know about the contest?
- Most Tanzania photographers and contributors are online, we will use WLA social media channels for Tanzania, and promote the project there for both events and guidelines on how to collect and contribute to Wikipedia for those who won’t be able to show on our uploading events and others.
- We will use local partners and databases we have built on other Wikimedia projects, for program awareness.
3. How will you judge the contest and award prizes?
We will have a jury of atleast 3 professional photographers, 2 storytellers and atleast 2 Wikipedia editors for judging the media files uploaded. Prize will be in terms of gift cards worth $200, $100,and $50 (first winner will receive a $200 gift card, second will get a $100 gift card and third one a $50gift card.. Jury will follow the following criteria to determine the winner;
- Technical quality
- Originality and Creativity
- Potential usefulness and overall value of the image (including its licensing) to the Wikimedia projects
4. For photo contests, what is the strategy to get images used on projects?
Volunteers and contributors will add all uploaded images to respective articles in Wikimedia projects during and after the contest. We will also use the ISA tool to increase usability of photos in Wikimedia projects. 5. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- We will look for more partiners to collaboerate with in this project such as government institutions
- We will host an ISA tool local competition to increase the usability of the photos (media files obtained)
6. Are you running any in-person events or activities? If so, you will need to complete the steps outlined on the Risk Assessment protocol related to COVID-19. When you have completed these steps, please provide a link to your completed copy of the risk assessment tool below:
- Yes, we will have at least 2 in person events and here is the Africa Wiki Challenge (AWC) in Tanzania Risk assessment results.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more:
For photo contests:
- Number of participants:20+
- Number of photos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons: 300+
- Number of photos used on Wikimedia projects: 100+
For writing contests:
- Number of participants=5+
- Number of articles created or improved=20+
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
Team Members Edit
- Iddy John - Director of Photography, relation and Mentor
- Alfredina Manila - Events Facilitator
- Paul Mandele - Outreach, Communication and Mentor
- Antoni Mtavangu - Events Organizer and Photo Uploading trainer and project Moderators
- Edwin Bakalemwa - Event Photography
- Pellagia Njau - Events Facilitator
- Clement Makangabila - Social Media coverage
- Will be confimed later
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
WLA in Tanzania 2020 Budget Edit
|Food and drinks||30 people||$16@30=$480 for both 2 events||This is for the launching and closing event|
|Branding & Stationeries (3T-shirts,Wikipedia wristbands and key holders, flyers, mugs, certificates,banner)||1||170||T-shirts and the mentioned souvenirs will be given to contributors who have uploaded a good number and quality photos, as well as to participants who have exceptional contributions during competition as determined by the jury.|
|Logistics, Communications & Outreach||1||147||transport for facilitators, data and calls|
|Photo hunt (Photo Walk)||2@$200||400||Amount will be spent for transport and food for those who will join the photo hunt|
|Social Media (Promotion)||2@$30||60|
|Closing Ceremony Awards||(1st,2nd & 3rd Winners)||($85 gift voucher, $65 gift voucher,$50 gift voucher||The award will be given in terms of gift cards/vouchers and certificates.|
|Equipment rent||3 laptops and 2 cameras||342||Cameras will be used for both taking quality photos for the events and for participants having no cameras to take photos during the photo hunt and laptops will be rented to participants who will need them for uploading the photos to Wikicommons.|
|Bank rates||40||Bank charges|
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!