Grants:Project/Rapid/WikiClub Hamilton/Health and Science Editing Initiative
Please see the sample Editathon/Training application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Recruit new editors
- Add or improve content
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. Are you doing one editathon or training or a series of editathons or trainings?
- We are planning a series of 5 editathons and training sessions over 6 months focused on adding high-quality content to articles within the domain of health and sciences. Each editathon will have an invited guest speaker with expertise in a specific field (e.g. pharmacology) who will provide their expertise during the editathon.
2. How will you let your community know about the event? Please paste links below to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions.
- Flyers (on campus and in community spaces such as coffee shops and public library branches)
- Social media (Facebook group, McMaster Libraries social media, Cochrane Canada social media)
- WikiProject Medicine Announcement
- WikiProject Pharmacology Announcement
3. Do you have experienced Wikimedia editors to lead the event?
4. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them?
- The health sciences library has 24 laptop computers that can be made available to anyone who is using the library classroom. Other events will be BYOD. We will work in small groups so folks without a device can still contribute.
- Mcbrarian is a librarian and can provide support with respect to finding and using high-quality information sources. Further, the McMaster University Health Sciences Library has several database subscriptions that do not require a McMaster affiliation to access, as long as the user is physically on campus. This means all participants will have access to high-quality health and science literature
5. How will you engage participants after the event(s)?
- We will send a follow-up email to all participants with impact metrics from WMFLabs project dashboard
- We will encourage members to join WikiClub Hamilton to receive regularly updates from the group
6. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- WikiClub Hamilton is launching the “Health and Science Editing Initiative” modelled on the successful Wikipedia Collaboration of Dental Schools led by Editing Dentist. This model is proven to be effective for students who edit on a voluntary basis. In 2017-2018 the Wikipedia Collaboration of Dental Schools recruited more than 200 editors and added over 4,000 references and 444,000 words to Wikipedia’s dental content.
- If this proposal is awarded a Rapid Grant, WikiClub Hamilton requests fiscal sponsorship from Wikimedia Canada. Kindly connect with JP Béland (WMCA)
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets:
- Number of events: 5
- Number of participants: 45
- Number of new editors: 20
- Number of of articles created or improved: 10
- Number of repeat participants (for projects that include a series of events):10
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- In-kind donations from McMaster University Libraries including library space to host events
- Mcbrarian has already purchased buttons and stickers from the Wikimedia store and has also designed and printed a set of stickers to distribute at these events
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- Additional Wikimedia store merchandise: $107CAD
- Buttons, 100: $27CAD
- Tshirt (prize): $33CAD
- Globe Stickers, 100: $27CAD
- Shipping of Wikimedia Store merchandise to Canada: $20CAD
- Speaker appreciation gifts ($40CAD x 5 events): $200CAD
- Marketing (printing flyers): ($90CAD x 5 events): $450CAD
- Catering ($130CAD x 5 events): $650CAD
- Speaker travel expenses ($230CAD x 5 events): $1,150CAD
Total: 2,557CAD or ~1,922USD
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!