Grants:Project/Rapid/WM UY/Uruguayan Culture Editathons/Report
Did you meet your goals? Are you happy with how the project went?
The three goals that we set were:
- Recruit new editors and teach them the skills and values of Wikipedians.
- Deepen collaboration with other civil society organizations.
- Add and improve content about two topics that are not well represented in the Spanish Wikipedia: Uruguayan cinema and Afro-Uruguayan culture.
We are happy because the three goals we had set have been met. Throughout the two editathons, 16 new editors have approached. We will keep in touch with them to try to get as many of them as possible to continue editing Wikipedia over time.
We have also confirmed that the editathons serve to strengthen links and collaboration with other organizations. This helps to spread the importance of free culture and of Wikipedia as a fundamental pillar of it. While with Creative Commons Uruguay and with the Centro Cultural de España we had previously worked together, this was the first time we collaborated with ACSUN, and the experience was great, given that they provided the place for the editathon, provided bibliography, contributed old magazines published by them to digitize, and called members of the Afro-Uruguayan community to participate in the editathon.
We consider that the editathons contributed to fill a gap in important issues of Uruguayan culture, such as local cinema and the culture of Afro-descendants. Unfortunately, there is very little information on Wikipedia about Afro-Uruguayan culture, which is due to biases that are largely analogous to those that exist in relation to gender. Access to specialized bibliographic sources helped a lot to create articles about artists, activists, publications and organizations of Afro-descendants. However, there is still much ahead to cover the huge gaps on this issue, which is why we plan to continue working with ACSUN and other Afro-Uruguayan organizations.
Finally, the editathons contributed to strengthen the Wikimedia Uruguay chapter, since they generated opportunities for the members to meet and work together.
Please report on your original project targets.
|Target outcome||Achieved outcome||Explanation|
|2 events||2 events||We have made the two events that we planned: the Uruguayan Cinema Editathon and the Afro-uruguayan Culture Editathon.|
|20 participants in each editathon||18 participants in the Uruguayan Cinema Editathon and 20 participants in the Afro-uruguayan Culture Editathon||The attendance was adjusted to our expectations.|
|10 new editors in each editathon||5 new editors in the Uruguayan Cinema Editathon and 11 new editors in the Afro-uruguayan Culture Editathon||The collaboration with the Afro-uruguayan institution ACSUN in the Afro-uruguayan Culture Editathon helped to attract more new editors.|
|20 articles created in each editathon||22 articles created in the Uruguayan Cinema Editathon and 21 articles created in the Afro-uruguayan Culture Editathon||The creation of articles was in accordance with our expectations.|
|5 repeat participants||8 repeat participants||Most of the repeat participants are Wikimedia Uruguay members.|
Projects do not always go according to plan. Sharing what you learned can help you and others plan similar projects in the future. Help the movement learn from your experience by answering the following questions:
- What worked well?
- Alliances with other organizations worked well. In particular with ACSUN, it was very important to hold weekly meetings with them throughout the month prior to the event, as it strengthened trust and coordination.
- It also worked well to collaborate with the local chapter of Creative Commons, which shares with us the values of free culture.
- Another thing that worked well is to provide food during the editathons. In previous events, it was necessary to interrupt the editathon to go to lunch. In these editathons, people could serve tasty food and drink during the event.
- What did not work so well?
- We expected more coverage in the press on the editathons. We must improve our media communication strategy.
- In the Uruguayan Cinema editathon, we did not manage to get editors who were experts in cinema.
- What would you do differently next time?
- Although for the Uruguayan Cinema editathon we contacted with institutions related to the cinema to reach the specific community, we did not establish a stronger collaboration. In future opportunities, we should, as far as possible, organize the editathons together with expert organizations in the area, in order to gain access to more bibliography and have the participation of experts.
- To cover the wi-fi connectivity of the Afro-Uruguayan culture editathon, we had foreseen the purchase of a wireless modem that was expensive. However, we later discovered that it was much cheaper to buy data credit for cell phones and share wi-fi through access points. Luckily we discovered this more cheaper and successful strategy before the editathon. We will follow this same strategy in upcoming events, which saves costs.
Unused funds available from a previous grantEdit
8419 UYU = 291.51 USD (exchange rate = 28.88)
New grant funds requestedEdit
New grant funds receivedEdit
Funds received by bank transfer: 37,566.46 UYU = 1300,78 USD
Grant funds spentEdit
Please describe how much grant money you spent for approved expenses, and tell us what you spent it on.
|Category||Item description||Total cost (UYU)||Total cost (USD)||Notes|
|Food and drink||Snacks and drinks for the Uruguayan Cinema Editathon||2500 UYU||Afternoon snacks|
|Food and drink||Lunch for the Afro-uruguayan Culture Editathon||5200 UYU|
|Food and drink||Snacks and drinks for the Afro-uruguayan Culture Editathon||1294 UYU||Snacks and drinks to complement the lunch|
|Bibliography||Books to use as sources of information in the editathon of Uruguayan Cinema||5420 UYU||11 books|
|Connectivity||4G mobile data credit||520 UYU||Data credit to 4 mobile phones, to provide connectivity in the editathon of Afro-uruguayan Culture through access points|
|Cheatsheets and Wikimedia Uruguay merchandising||60 editathon cheatsheets, 1000 Wikimedia Uruguay stickers, 200 Wikipedia pins and 30 Wikipedia cups)||15939 UYU|
|Facebook advertising||1) Cinema of Uruguay editathon: promoted event (38.59 USD), 1 promoted post about the editathon (35 USD).
2) Afro-uruguayan culture editathon: 2 promoted posts about the editathon (40 USD), advertising of the Wikimedia Uruguay page (35 USD)
|Unpredicted expenses||Bank transfer fee||1036.35 UYU||Bank fee of the grant transfer|
|Unpredicted expenses||Bank account maintenance fee (September)||110.20 UYU||Maintenance fee of the bank account created exclusively for the Wikimedia grant|
|Unpredicted expenses||Taxi||180 UYU||Taxi to move kitchen utensils to the Afro-uruguayan Culture Editathon|
|Unpredicted expenses||Batteries||50 UYU||Replacement of one keyboard batteries|
|Total||Exchange rate: 28.88||36540.83 UYU = 1265.26 USD|
Do you have any remaining grant funds?
Remaining funds: 9444.63 UYU = 327.03 USD
We would like to use the remaining funds on Wikimedia Uruguay hosting and domain. In the coming months, we will have to face the costs of renewing the domain wikimedia.uy and the hosting of our website.
- Renewal for 3 years of the domain wikimedia.uy = 75 USD
- Renewal for 2 years of the Hostgator "Baby" hosting plan for the Wikimedia Uruguay website = 262.80 USD
- Total = 337.80 USD
We can put the extra money (10.77 USD) from the funds of Wikimedia Uruguay.
Anything else you want to share about your project?
- Presentation of the Wikipedia introductory workshop at the Cinema of Uruguay Editathon
- Presentation of the Wikipedia introductory workshop at the Afro-Uruguayan Culture Editathon
Posts on the Wikimedia Uruguay blogEdit
- Editatón sobre cine de Uruguay
- Una forma de... editar: editatón de cine uruguayo
- Editatón sobre cultura afrouruguaya
- Ampliando el conocimiento sobre cultura afrouruguaya en Wikipedia
- Festival libre (La Diaria)
- Editatón sobre cultura afro (La Diaria)
- Convocan a editar contenido de Wikipedia sobre cultura afrouruguaya (El Observador)