Please see the sample Contest application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Add or improve content
- Spread awareness about Wikimedia projects and Wiki Loves Monuments in Romania
- Raise awareness of cultural heritage through the photographs uploaded during the competition;
- Attract new users and engage existing ones to contribute to Wikimedia projects
- Add freely licensed and quality images of built heritage of Romania to Wikimedia Commons/Wikipedia
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. What content will the contest focus on, and why is it important to your community?
- Each year we have the same purpose: to increase the number of images to monuments that had none. There are still cultural heritage monuments without a photo in Romania and as time goes by, the accessibility and state of the monuments deteriorates. Focusing on non-covered monuments will limit the number of submissions, but will increase the coverage of our list (which is already the best illustrated online list of monuments of Romania). At the same time, due to this year's limitless in travel and visiting, we count on experienced wikipedians to reach out a considerably quantitative and qualitative number of photos uploaded. Still, we hope to see new participants with new images of monuments close to their homes and surroundings. We will also use the contest to attract audience for other potential contests, such as WLE. We will experiment again with video uploads, although we expect a lower turnout due to technical difficulties of uploading videos to Wikimedia Commons and less and less participants (2018 - 14 videos and 2019 - 2 videos)
2. How will you let people know about the contest?
- Mainly through site notice, village pump notice, invitations to former participants' talk pages and through our Facebook accounts WLM, Wikipedia română and Wikipedians of Romania and Moldova User Group and WLM Romania Instagram account. Based on the WLM survey from 2019, we received 4 replies from former participants willing to help in promoting the event on their own social media pages and on other related pages of heritage and architecture. National Heritage Institute in Romania will support us in promoting the event this year too.
3. How will you judge the contest and award prizes?
- The jury will consist of 3 or more people from mixed backgrounds, trying to include photography and heritage experts, as well as at least one wikimedian. For the moment we have the commitment of National Heritage Institute, the winner from 2018 WLM Romania edition (Neighbour's Goat, 1st place winner and also winner of video section) and Gikü, one of the Wikimedians of Romania and Moldova User Group member. We will judge photos in several rounds, using the jury tool "Montage", which we have used in previous years. Depending on the number of uploaded videos, we will consider having a videographer (TBA) in the jury. Prizes will be awarded to all participants as described in the contest organisation below. Each winner will also receive an online participation certificate. The photo criteria will be mostly unchanged and are described on the website.
4. For photo contests, what is the strategy to get images used on projects?
- The images will be added to the list and to Wikidata by a bot, so they will be available to any wikidata-aware infobox. An online writing contest is planned after the competition. We will encourage the editing community to enrich existing articles and create new ones related to the monuments and to add the pictures to related Wikipedia articles.
5. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more:
We consider our project successful if we accomplish the following:
- Receive a decent number of participants and uploads, at least somewhere around last year's numbers.
- Successfully support participants, new and old, in contributing photos.
- Build new relationships with historical/architectural/photography organizations.
To accomplish these goals, we have set the following numbers:
- Number of participants: 80
- Number of photos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons: 3000
- Number of photos used on Wikimedia projects: 300
- Number of movies (at least 30s length, minimum resolution TBD): 10
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- The contest is organized by CEllen with support from Strainu. We have the commitment from Gikü to take part in the jury, to introduce new monuments into the list, statistics, site notice, etc. with help from Strainu where needed; commitment from CEllen for social media sites and contest promotion. The online writing contest will be coordinated by CEllen with help from previous WLM participants.
We plan on receiving promotional support and outreach from various historical societies and related institutions. What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
|Number||Category||Item Description||Unit||Number of units||Cost per unit||Total cost (RON)||Total cost (USD)||Notes|
|1||Contest organization||Prizes||Total||1||4800||4800||1180||Gift cards from f64.ro or an equivalent photo shop. Vouchers will be sent via e-mail.
|2||Contest organization||Domain renewal||Transaction||8||40||320||80||The RoTLD registry introduced new yearly fees since last year. This year we plan to extend the domain for the longest possible period (8 years) so we don't have to handle this every year. The cheapest offer we could find is 7.4€+VAT 19%. To be applied from 15th of August|
|3||Outreach||Online writing contest||Total||1||500||500||122||Gift cards from f64.ro or an equivalent photo shop. Vouchers will be sent via e-mail.
|4||Outreach||Facebook advertising||Post||2||30||60||15||We want to promote 2 of our Facebook posts: one announcing the contest (promoted since Sept 1st) and one before the last week of the contest. We will compare the results of the posts (in visitors to a Wikipedia page) compared to the sitenotice results.|
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!