Please see the sample Contest application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Add or improve content
- Rebuild awareness of Wikipedia photo contests, in preparation for other contests
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. What content will the contest focus on, and why is it important to your community?
- The focus of the content will be on monuments that do not have any image on August 31st. This represents 70% of all monuments and 55% of non-archeological monuments listed. Focusing on non-covered monuments will limit the number of submissions, but will increase the coverage of our list (which is already the best-illustrated online list of monuments of Romania). We will also use the contest to attract audience for other potential contest, such as WLE. As a low-priority objective, we will experiment with video uploads, although we expect a low turnout due to technical difficulties of uploading videos to Wikimedia Commons.
2. How will you let people know about the contest?
3. How will you judge the contest and award prizes?
- The jury will be comprised of 3 people: a photographer (Nicubunu), a wikipedian (Andrei Stroe) and a videographer (TBA). The photo criteria will be mostly unchanged and are described on the website.
4. For photo contests, what is the strategy to get images used on projects?
- The images will be added to the list and to Wikidata by a bot, so they will be available to any wikidata-aware infobox.
5. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more:
For photo contests:
- Number of participants: 100
- Number of photos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons: 5000
- Number of photos used on Wikimedia projects: 250
- Number of movies (at least 30s length, minimum resolution TBD): 10
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- The contest is organized by Strainu and we have the commitment from Nicubunu to participate in the jury. We will also use our contacts to find a location for the edit-a-thon and to offer additional non-monetary prizes.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
|Number||Category||Item Description||Unit||Number of units||Cost per unit||Total cost (RON)||Total cost (USD)||Notes|
|1||Contest organization||Prizes||Total||1||2000||2000||500||Gift cards from f64.ro or an equivalent photo shop. We will award 3 prizes for the hotos, 1 prize for the videos and 2 special prizes (the largest number of covered monuments by a single uploader and the best photo by a newcomer)|
|2||Contest organization||Promotional packages||piece||18||40||720||180||for winners (up to 10 on photo, 3 for video, 2 special) and jury (3); includes diplomas and Wikipedia-branded swag, as well as other non-monetary prizes coming from 3rd party sources|
|3||Contest organization||Domain renewal||transaction||1||42||42||10.5||The RoTLD registry introduced new yearly fees since this year. The cheapest offer we could find is 7.4€+VAT 19%|
|4||Outreach||Edit-a-thon catering||person||20||25||500||125||water, coffee etc.|
|5||Outreach||Facebook advertising||post||2||20||40||10||We want to do a relatively low-cost experiment by promoting 2 of our Facebook posts: one announcing the contest (promoted since Sept 1st) and one before the last week of the contest. We will compare the results of the posts (in visitors to a Wikipedia page) compared to the sitenotice results.|
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!