Please see the sample Photowalk application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed. You can add details to each goal.
- Promote local contest
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. How many walks/tours will you organize and how many people on each walk?
- Two-days tour on two cars, by two teams. Team 1 is Eco FM, they already partnered us in a similar project last year, and have the experience and enthusiasm to participate. I as organizer will be in their car, together with the driver and a reporter from Eco FM. Team 2, SPPN, is a new partner, they will travel in another car, 2 or 3 people.
2. What kind of content will the walks focus on? Why is this topic a priority?
- During the two days, we plan to collectively visit 30 protected areas, with priority on areas not illustrated yet (see also all areas). These may include:
- Team 1 (northern Moldova):
- day 1 (approximate route, ~320 km):
- MD-TL-mn.B-030 springs of Ordășei (no images)
- MD-SR-mn.A-068 "Pragurile Nistrului" (4 images)
- MD-SR-rp-035 Cosăuți landscape reserve (3 images)
- MD-OC-rp-027 Călărășeuca landscape reserve (12 images)
- MD-OC-mn.B-016 spring of Codreni (no images)
- MD-OC-mn.A-052 "Partea Cneazului" valley (no images)
- MD-DN-mn.Cb-049 protected Quercus robur near Dondușeni (no images)
- MD-DN-map-009 park of Rediul Mare (no images)
- MD-ED-map-014 park of Hincăuți (7 images)
- day 2 (approximate route, ~275 km):
- MD-ED-rp-021 Zăbriceni landscape reserve (no images)
- MD-ED-map-013 park of Brînzeni (no images)
- MD-ED-mn.A-031 Brînzeni caves (5 images)
- MD-ED-mn.A-032 Brînzeni reefs (17 images)
- MD-RS-rn.A-038 Stînca nature reserve (no images)
- MD-RS-mn.B-023 "La Moară" lakes (no images)
- MD-RS-amm.C-002 windbreak of Bălți (2 images)
- MD-SG-mn.B-024 body of water on Ciuluc river (no images)
- MD-TL-amm.B-018 meadow near Bănești (no images)
- MD-TL-amm.B-016 meadow on Bălți-Sărătenii Vechi road (no images)
- day 1 (approximate route, ~320 km):
- Team 2 (southern Moldova; approx. 700 km returning to Chișinău for the night):
- MD-CM-rp-016 Cimișlia ravines (no images)
- MD-GE-amm.A-001 steppe vegetation near Bugeac (I) (no images)
- MD-GE-amm.A-002 steppe vegetation near Bugeac (II) (no images)
- MD-GE-rn.B-004 Bugeac nature reserve (no images)
- MD-GE-mn.A-023 geological section in the valley of Ialpug (no images)
- MD-GE-mn.A-020 Baurci outcrop (no images)
- MD-TR-mn.A-081 outcrop near Taraclia (no images)
- MD-GE-mn.B-029 spring of Copceac (no images)
- MD-TR-amm.A-005 steppe vegetation near Ciumai (no images)
- MD-GE-mn.A-084 outcrop of Etulia clay (no images)
- MD-GE-mn.A-086 Cișmichioi ravine (no images)
- MD-TR-mn.A-080 Musaitu ravine (no images)
- MD-TR-mn.A-079 Budăi ravine (1 image)
- MD-CH-mn.A-005 fossil site near Moscovei (no images)
- MD-CT-rn.C-001 Cantemir nature reserve (no images)
- MD-CT-mn.Cb-030 protected Populus alba near Cantemir (no images)
- MD-LV-mn.Cb-067 protected Quercus robur in Leova (no images)
- MD-LV-rn.C-002 "Lebăda albă" nature reserve (no images)
- MD-HN-rn.A-024 Sărata–Răzeși nature reserve (no images)
- MD-HN-rn.A-025 Pogănești nature reserve (no images)
- MD-HN-rn.A-020 Dancu nature reserve (no images)
- MD-NS-rp-025 Nisporeni Villa landscape reserve (no images)
- Team 1 (northern Moldova):
- By taking photos of these areas, it is planned to enrich the gallery of WLE 2018 in Moldova, and to promote the contest by involving the audience in a challenge between two contestants. WLE 2018 in Moldova starts on June 1.
3. What is the plan to ensure images will be used on Wikimedia projects?
- The images will be uploaded by both teams on Wikimedia Commons in May through July
4. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them?
- Both teams are equipped with professional cameras.
- Eco FM already participated in a similar event in 2017: Grants:Project/Rapid/Gikü/Photo expedition before WLE 2017 in Moldova; and they have sufficient expertise in how to navigate to protected areas and what pictures to shoot there. I as the organizer will accompany them.
- SPPN are professional ornithologists and they already spare their weekends in Important Birds Areas (IBAs) of Moldova, the majority of which are also protected areas. They have a very high level of photography skills, acquired by documenting and photographing birds. Worth mentioning, this year the contest will include a special prize for images of birds. SPPN, since they are partners, will not participate for prizes, but their photos will be a good example for participating photographers in said category.
5. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- The format of the expedition is competition / challenge. We plan to involve the official Facebook pages of Wiki Loves Earth Moldova, Romanian Wikipedia, Wikimedians of Romania and Moldova User Group, Eco FM, SPPN, as well as the Instagram page of Wiki Loves Earth Moldova – to share photos on the road as we go. We will award a symbolic award to the winner at the end of the expedition. Wins the team that covered most protected areas.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more:
- Number of participants: not applicable
- Number of photos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons: at least 450 photos of at least 30 protected areas of Moldova +random pictures of settlement and places on the road
- Number of photos used on Wikimedia projects: at least one image per each Wikidata item of a visited protected area +articles on Romanian Wikipedia
- Improvement on the number of participants of WLE 2018 in Moldova: around 40% increase from previous year (up from 62 participants in 2017)
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- Team 1 will spend the night at a relative's house in northern Moldova, for free. Team 2 will return to Chișinău for the night.
- Each team has at least one DSLR camera
- Each team has a fairly good understanding of the locations of the protected areas to be visited, so it's no to little time planned for asking for directions
- SPPN has experience in professional nature photography
- We have the promotion of WLE Moldova, Wikipedia română, Wikimedians of Romania and Moldova User Group, Eco FM, and SPPN, pre- and post-event.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- MDL 600 / USD 36: diesel fuel for Team 1, approx. $.95 per liter, approx 600 km on the road
- MDL 1000 / USD 60: gasoline for Team 2, approx. $1.04 per liter, approx 700 km on the road
- MDL 2000 / USD 120: food for 6 persons, 2 days ($10 per day per person; a budget warm meal nears $5 in Moldova's northern and southern cities)
- 10 USD: prize (external battery with WLE, Wikipedia, and User Group stickers)
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
- Endorse. WLE is one of the most important project conducted by WMROMD this year. Macreanu Iulian (talk) 17:15, 3 April 2018 (UTC)
- WLE Moldova has offered very good coverage of the monument list already and, if successful, this new expedition will provides a very good budget/results ratio.--Strainu (talk) 13:01, 17 April 2018 (UTC)