Grants:Project/Rapid/Ugwulebo/Nigerian Educational and Research Institutes Writing Contest
Please see the sample Contest application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Create more awareness about Wikimedia projects in Rivers State and Nigeria
- Add or improve content on English Wikipedia
- Recruit new editors for the newly built Wikimedia Community in Rivers State
- Engage existing Wikimedia editors
- Increase skills for new and existing Wikimedia editors in Rivers State
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. What content will the contest focus on, and why is it important to your community?
- The contest will focus primarily on creating and improving Wikipedia articles about Nigerian educational and research institutions. These institutions are underrepresented in the English Wikipedia. There is need to create information about these institutions on Wikipedia so as to facilitate the actualization of the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals in Nigeria (SDG)
2. How have you let relevant Wikimedia communities know about this proposal? You are required to provide links to on-wiki pages to inform these communities about your proposed work. Examples of places where this can be done include community discussion pages, affiliate discussion pages, or relevant project talk pages.
You may also provide information about external social media channels you may be using.
- I have notified members of the Wikimedia team at the University of Port Harcourt about this project and they are excited about it.
- I have identified prospective participants for this contest.
- I have informed the Nigerian Wikimedia community about this project via its
3. How will you let participants know about the contest? In what ways will you be communicating with them?
For example, these can include on-wiki spaces, social media channels, mailing lists, messaging apps, or physical/online gatherings.
- We already have an existing active whatsapp group for the newly recruited Wikimedia editors at the University of Port Harcourt. We will disseminate information about the contest using the Whatsapp group.
- Information about the contest will also be disseminated using fliers and other social media channels.
- All participants will be onboarded in a WhatsApp group to ease communication in the community before, during and after the event.
4. How will you judge the contest and award prizes?
Note: Grantees, judges, and other contest leaders are ineligible to receive prizes. Grantees who are serving as judges may not receive gifts through grant funding.
- An unbiased independent jury will be set up to judge all submissions for this contest based on the contest rules. The scoring of participants for this contest will be based on a point system and the editor with the highest point will be declared the winner. The scoring system for this contest is as follows:
- 3point for every new Wikipedia article created on Mainspace
- 1point for every reliable sources used on new or existing Wikipedia articles
- 1point will be awarded for every 1,000 bytes added to existing Wikipedia articles
5. For photo contests, what is the strategy to get images used on projects?
6. Are you running any in-person events or activities? If so, you will need to complete the steps outlined on the Risk Assessment protocol related to COVID-19. When you have completed these steps, please provide a link to your completed copy of the risk assessment tool below:
- No. There will be no in-person event.
7. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- This project will help to improve the skills of Wikimedia editors in Rivers State. It will also help to improve Nigerian local content on Wikipedia. Due to the high number of people expected to participate in this project, we will like to give out prizes to the top 5 participants with the highest scores.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more:
For writing contests:
- Number of participants: 25+
- Number of articles created or improved: 100+
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- Omorodion1 will bring his wealth of experience into this project. He will train and guide the participants before and during the contest. He is an experienced Wikimedian who have facilitated and organized several Wikimedia related events in Nigeria, including the Open Semester Training for staff and students of Samuel Adegboyega University project and Photowalk at Edo State project. He is the co-organizer and facilitator of theWikipedia Training and Edit-a-thon at the University of Port Harcourt.
- Ugwulebo will join this project as the coordinator. He has experience in coordinating Wikimedia event. He coordinated the Wikipedia Training and Edit-a-thon at the University of Port Harcourt.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- Internet and Data Subscription (for organizers, jury and participants) - $500
- Social Media promotion (for wider awareness creation) - $300
- Communication, call card and graphic designs - $200
- Logistics for dispatching of prizes - $250
- Jury Gift - $150
- Zoom Subscription (for training) - $100
- Miscellaneous - $50
- Prizes (For top 5 participants) - $380
- 1st prize: Infinix Hot 10 - $150
- 2nd Prize: Infinix Smart 5 - $130
- 3rd prize: Powerbank with LED display - $45
- 4th prize: Powerbank - 30
- 5th prize: Wireless headphone bluetooth -$25
Total = $1,930 ; NGN 791,416
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!