Grants:Project/Rapid/UG LV/Wiki Loves Monuments Latvia 2022/Report
Did you meet your goals? Are you happy with how the project went?
We manged to successfully run Wiki Loves Monuments 2022 photo competition. However, we could not organize complementary activities due to volunteer shortage and we did not reach our participation goals.
Please report on your original project targets. Please be sure to review and provide metrics required for Rapid Grants.
|Target outcome||Achieved outcome||Explanation|
|25 newly registered participants to upload a photo||7||We did not manage to do the full promotional activities during the month of contest. In some areas we have reached the potential as we did not get any new participants from the communities we reached out to.|
|2 mentions in different noteworthy websites related to the contest||0||Our contest promotions using press releases have been ignored during the last editions despite putting more time into them. We managed to get some publications in 2016 and 2018.|
|50 participants uploading a photo||23||We managed to mobilize part of existing community by posting customized messages in user pages but the lack of new participants also affected this target.|
|3 organizers performing a significant task during the contest||1||Almost the entire contest was done by a single person, only some technical help was provided by others. The financial part was handled by Wikimedia Eesti ask a fiscal sponsor.|
|2000 photos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons during the contest||2647||This was the most important quantitative target and we managed to exceed it thanks to several prolific contributors.|
|10% of photos used in Wikipedia articles||13%||As reported by GLAMorous tool
After running the contest for several years there is already good saturation of images (while in distant areas there are still images missing) so it is a good result to meet the usage goal.
Projects do not always go according to plan. Sharing what you learned can help you and others plan similar projects in the future. Help the movement learn from your experience by answering the following questions:
- What worked well?
- We found that previously used prize amount is still enough to draw attentions of advanced enthusiast photographers which we consider our main audience.
- In preparation for the contest, the Wikidata-based monument lists were updated. Since the last contest there has been an administrative reform in Latvia so information about new administrative divisions was needed. Despite it being an unexpected extra work the result is useful beyond the WLM contest.
- What did not work so well?
- Due to various reasons not all volunteers were able to contribute significantly so we did not organize award ceremony and side-contests. Despite that the most important part of contest was executed, the winners chosen and awarded, results submitted to the international stage.
- Pre-contest press release was not published and no mentions on noteworthy news outlets.
- What would you do differently next time?
- Do a retrospective of previous WLX contests/grants with the group of committed organizers.
- Define roles and alternative plans if a volunteer is not able to participate as planned.
- Implement as plan for recruiting new participants in social media.
- Run ISA challenge during the contest to engage non-photographers.
- Try using advertisements on Facebook (we have never tried that before, but we have seen other groups using this to some success).
- Prepare some promotional materials for social media and printed posters, find a volunteer with skills for visual materials.
Grant funds spent edit
Please describe how much grant money you spent for approved expenses, and tell us what you spent it on.
Funds were spent for prizes of competition and small gifts for jurors. All costs are displayed in EUR.
|Awards for participants||600||560||Gift cards|
|Gifts for jury members||80||63.07||Gift cards|
|Awards for Wikipedia improvements contest||60||0||Was not organized|
|Venue for awards ceremony||25||0||Was not organized|
|Snacks for awards ceremony||50||0||Was not organized|
|Traveling or shipping expenses||50||0||Not needed|
|Taxes (fiscal sponsor)||150||205.77||Taxes|
|Promotional materials||50||0||Not produced|
|Fees, unexpected expenses, ~10%||100||0||Not needed|
Remaining funds edit
Do you have any remaining grant funds?
Anything else edit
Anything else you want to share about your project?