Grants:Project/Rapid/UG GR/Wiki Loves Monuments in Greece/Report
- Report accepted
- To read the approved grant submission describing the plan for this project, please visit Grants:Project/Rapid/UG GR/Wiki Loves Monuments in Greece.
- You may still comment on this report on its discussion page, or visit the discussion page to read the discussion about this report.
- You are welcome to Email rapidgrants at wikimedia dot org at any time if you have questions or concerns about this report.
Did you meet your goals? Are you happy with how the project went?
Yes, as most aspects of the overall project goal were succesfully fullfiled. Wiki Loves Monuments photo contest increased the amount of freely-licensed material related to Greek monuments in Wikimedia Commons, and improved the quality and quantity of Wikipedia articles about them, including the illustration of the articles with the uploaded pictures. Publicity of the event, spread the word about the existence of Wikimedia Commons, and that everyone is free to upload material that can be used in Wikipedia and anywhere else.
We surpassed our target of 1000 images and got 2716 (172% more), 187 participants (211% above the target of 60), with 143 of them newbies (target was 40). 9% of them has contributed more, in the period after the end of the contest. Our target on 90 images used on wiki projects has been overreached with 191 distinced images used, which is 7% of the submitted images or 19,1 of the projected total number of images. It is obvious that more images will be used in the future, since a large number of them was not used only because there was no article about that monument. A rough calculation (based on PetScan) shows that images uploaded as part of the contest raised 10% the number of images about archeological sites in Greece.
Generally we succeeded in increasing the number of freely licensed images of Greek cultural monuments, in raising awareness of cultural heritage through the photographs uploaded during the competition, and improving the quality of the content on Wikimedia projects by providing images to existing articles. We also succeeded in raising awareness of free licences among photographers in Greece (at least for those who participated) and recruited some of them as new contributors to Wikimedia Commons. We also increased local media coverage about Wikimedia projects through national news outlets.
Please report on your original project targets.
|Target outcome||Achieved outcome||Explanation|
|1.000 photos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons||2.716|
|60 participants uploading one or more pictures||187|
|At least 40 new users participating in the contest||143|
|3 months after the event 5% of participants are still editing||9%|
|3 months after the event, 90 (or 9%) of the uploaded photos are used on wiki projects||191 distinct images or 7,03% of the uploaded photos||if the calculation is going to be done to the initial target (1000 images), then the target is overreached (19,1%)|
Projects do not always go according to plan. Sharing what you learned can help you and others plan similar projects in the future. Help the movement learn from your experience by answering the following questions:
- What worked well?
- Publicity was enough to attract people to the contest. Participation was more than expected.
- Infrastructure was good. The list of monuments was created based on official data, although a complete and official list of protected sites and buildings does not exist, thus we created our own list with our own identifiers (as in the https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Wiki_Loves_Monuments_2016/Lists_of_monuments#What_to_keep_in_mind_with_creating_a_list_of_monuments.3F suggestions]) The website was helpful and there we hosted an interactive map of the sites.
- Photo walks organised in three cities were helpful, many photos came from these activities.
- The jury tool we used was enough to do the work.
- What did not work so well?
- We started late. The grant request opened August 28th. So, we put the start date of the contest on September 8th, while we kept the ending date on September 30th, to comply with the timeline of the international contest. Thus, our own WLM run only for 3 weeks while everywhere else run for a month.
- An android app with the interactive map was created, but we did not promote it because it lacked some features like an upload link for each site.
- What would you do differently next time?
- Start early! We can have even better results and more easy work with less stress if we start earlier. This time we took the risk of starting a contest without even having secured the prizes (the grant was approved Sept. 22nd). This was stressful.
Grant funds spentEdit
Please describe how much grant money you spent for approved expenses, and tell us what you spent it on.
|Number||Category||Item description||Unit||Number of units||Actual cost per unit||Actual total||Budgeted total||Currency||Notes|
|1||Travelling expenses||Train ticket||ticket||1.00||46.80||46.80||180.00||EUR||Train return ticket for Geraki for award ceremony|
|2||Fees, commissions etc||Bank commission for Grant's incoming trasfer wire||bank commission||1.00||3.00||3.00||30.00||EUR||Net incoming transfer was 1.254,12 after subtracting the commission|
|3||Travelling expenses||Air ticket||ticket||1.00||174.67||174.67||180.00||EUR||Air ticket Corfu - Athens with return for Magioladitis for award ceremony|
|4||Travelling expenses||Urban transportation||ticket||6.00||4.73||28.38||180.00||EUR||2 metro tickets & 4 taxi receipts for Magioladitis|
|5||Fees, commissions etc||Bank commission for bank transfer for 1st award||bank commission||1.00||1.15||1.15||30.00||EUR||Commission paid for 1st award|
|6||Certificates||Quality paper||package||1.00||10.95||10.95||11.00||EUR||Quality paper for certificates.|
|9||Awards||1st award||item||1.00||400.00||400.00||900.00||EUR||via bank transfer for 1st award winner|
|10||Awards||2d award||item||1.00||300.00||300.00||900.00||EUR||via bank transfer for 2nd award winner|
|11||Fees, commissions etc||Bank transfer fee||bank commission||1.00||1.15||1.15||30.00||EUR||Bank transfer fees for 2d award|
|12||Awards||3d award||item||1.00||200.00||200.00||900.00||EUR||via bank transfer for 3nd award winner|
|13||Prizes for online edit-a-thon||Book||item||1.00||27.86||27.86||75.00||EUR||Books bought as prize for the winner of the online edit-a-thon|
|14||Soft drinks and water||soft drinks and water served during the Award ceremony||person||30.00||0.413333333||12.40||69.00||EUR|
|15||Posters||posters with the logo and the awarded photographs||unit||20.00||8.4745||169.49||210.00||EUR||the printing press issued 2 receipts (99.49 + 70.00 = 169.49 EUR).|
|16||Incidentals||printing of certificates||item||10||0.12||1.20||100.00||EUR||printing of 10 certificates for the winners, expense that was not projected in the initial budget|
|17||Fees, commissions etc||Posters (6) send via postal service||package||6.00||2.65||15.90||30.00||EUR||Posters send via postal service to 6 winners - Post expenses|
|18||Incidentals||Cylinder packages for posters||item||5.00||1.19||5.95||100.00||EUR||Paper cylinders (5) for postal packages|
|19||Fees, commissions etc||Bank transfer fee||bank commission||1.00||2.15||2.15||30.00||EUR||Bank transfer fees for sending money payed for the posters, certificates etc|
|20||Fees, commissions etc||Bank transfer fee||bank commission||1.00||2.15||2.15||30.00||EUR||Bank transfer fees for sending money to Marios payed for tranportation|
|21||Fees, commissions etc||Bank transfer fee||bank commission||1.00||1.15||1.15||30.00||EUR||Bank transfer fees for sending money payed for the venue|
|22||Venue||Venue for the Award ceremony||item||1.00||186.00||186.00||186.00||EUR||Bank transfer for venue|
|23||Incidentals||Cylinder package||item||1.00||8.99||8.99||100.00||EUR||Plastic cylinder for archiving posters|
- Total project budget (from your approved grant submission)
- 1.761,00 EURO
- Total amount requested from WMF (from your approved grant submission, this total will be the same as the total project budget if PEG is your only funding source)
- 1.761,00 EURO
- Total amount spent on this project
- 1.599,34 EURO
- Are there additional sources that funded any part of this project? List them here.
- 50,00 EURO (donation coming from PostScriptum agency to cover a part of our expenses for venue)
Do you have any remaining grant funds?
- 211,66 EURO
- We would like to use the remaining funds on our new project Corfupedia.
Anything else you want to share about your project?