The overall purpose of this Wiki Loves Monuments photo contest is to increase the amount of freely-licensed material related to Greek monuments in Wikimedia Commons, and improve the quality and quantity of Wikipedia articles about them, including the illustration of the articles with the uploaded pictures. If the project is going to be successful, more people will know not only about Wikipedia, but also about Wikimedia Commons and new users will be engaged in the projects also. Additionally, the Wikimedia movement and the local user groups will gain visibility within the involved communities. We have to mention also here that this is the first Wiki Loves Monuments photo contest in Greece. Within this scope, we are asking funding to finance the cost of the prizes for the contest winners, and the cost of promotion for the contest.
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. What content will the contest focus on, and why is it important to your community?
Photos of monuments in Greece. We have already standardized the list of the monuments that are going to be photographed, based on lists of monuments in our disposal and the copyright status of each monument. This is very important as there is no Freedom of Panorama (FOP) in our country. Need also to mention here that WLE is organized for the first time in Greece.
2. How will you let people know about the contest?
- Launching a website
- Community notification in Agora (el.wp village pump, wikiel mailing list, other relevant mailing lists, etc.)
- Promoting the competition through the Athens-Macedonia News Agency, the use of social networks and photo-oriented web sites. National documentation center, website of public television, etc.
- Radio interviews such as Athens 9.84
- Via our collaboration with Postscriptum that specializes in promoting cultural events
- Trying to engage other scientific communities in the country, like architects, that have a strong interest about monuments
- Press releases announcing the competition just some days before the starting date (we will also try to have press coverage during the contest)
3. How will you judge the contest and award prizes?
- Our team has already organized two Wikimedia Photo Contests in Greece. First we need to make the selection of the members of the jury committee on time. The jury will be composed both by experienced Wikimedians and photography enthusiasts. Prizes will be awarded to the three best photographs. Photographers in 4th to 10th place will get a poster of their photo and a participation certificate. Selection of winners, (this date also needs to be fixed) 2016 involves usually work of organisers and active Wikimedians who will check which images are eligible on the first round. The selection of the winners will take place by the jury afterwards (second round).
4. For photo contests, what is the strategy to get images used on projects?
- An edit-a-thon is planned after the competition and in combination to the awards ceremony. We are also going to encourage the Greek editing community to enrich existing articles related to the mounuments, to add pictures to related Wikipedia or Wikivoyage articles.
5. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- Other activities that haven't been mentioned so far are:
- Photo walk in Corfu is scheduled for September 23
- Photo walk in Athens is scheduled for September 25
- Photo walk in Thessaloniki is scheduled for September 25
- This day access to archeological places will be free of charge
- Android app with map of monuments and WLM id
- Preparation for the contest
- Drafting of the set of rules for participation to the contest
- Create and edit commons pages with the necessary information about the project
- Contest itself, September 8th - December 31st
- Submitting the best photographs to participate in the global competition
- Evaluating the project and compiling the report
- Write a brief blog post about the competition
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more:
For photo contests:
- Numbers of photos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons: 1.000
- 60 participants uploading one or more pictures
- At least 40 new users participating in the contest
- 3 months after the event 5% of participants are still editing
- 3 months after the event, 90 (or 9%) of the uploaded photos are used on wiki projects
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
Our team has organized a multitude of events like educational programms, edit-a-thons, workshops, conferences or a daily mediawiki event. Our most recent was Science Photo Competition and we are still running Wiki Loves Earth. Most of our projects were self-funded so far (when needed we got sponsorship by other organizations [private, public or non-profit] that the UG GR has cooperated with). During previous photo contests we definitely learned and still learning a lot.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
Project budget tableEdit
|Number||Category||Item description||Unit||Number of units||Cost per unit||Total cost||Currency||Notes|
|1||Prizes||prizes for the best photographs and best contributors||n/a||3||n/a||900.00||EUR||Prizes will be awarded to the three best photographs (1st prize: €400.00, 2nd prize: €300.00, 3rd prize: €200.00, 4-10th will get a poster of their photo.|
|2||Posters||posters with the logo and the awarded photographs||unit||10||21.00||210.00||EUR||The posters with the official logo of the competition for the first 10 (or as many the budget can cover) awarded photographs|
|3||Certificates||certificates for the awarded photographs and jury members||pack of 25||pack||11.00||11.00||EUR||Certificates with the names of the awarded photographs and prizes will be delivered during the Award ceremony. Similarly, certificates will be given to the jury members and other volunteers for their participation.|
|4||Travelling expenses||travelling expenses for possible photo expeditions||person||n/d yet||n/a||180.00||EUR||for getting the organisers to some of the areas in case of an organised Wikiexpedition. Currently not planned, but in any case unused funds will be reimbursed to WMF|
|5||Soft drinks and water||catering served during the edit-a-thon and Award ceremony||n/a||n/a||n/a||80.00||EUR||Soft drinks and water that will be served during the editathon and award ceremony.|
|6||Venue||Venue for the editathon and Award ceremony||n/a||n/d yet||n/a||250.00||EUR||Most probably we will arrange for an appropriate venue for free, as in the last competition. Nevertheless we need to be safe on this. This price was negotiated with an institution during ESPC, before we get the NCSR Demokritos for free.|
|7||Fees, commissions, etc||Banking fees||transaction||n/a||n/a||30.00||EUR||transactions for receiving money, banking fees for payments (prizes and other).|
|8||Incidentals||expenses that are not projected in the budget but may still occur||n/a||n/a||n/a||100.00||EUR||This item will be generally used to adjust the changes in prices if they occur or to cover some of the incidental expenses that are not anticipated but may later occur as necessary.|
Total cost of projectEdit
Total amount requestedEdit
Unknown so far as the expenses from the previous grant has not been finalized
€1,257,12 + €503,88 = €1761
Additional sources of revenueEdit
- The event is supported by postscriptum but they will mainly help in the promotional part.
Communities and lists notifiedEdit
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
strong Oppose The Greek law is here, the Greek community is in danger. The photos can't be used in Greece without a formal written license for use of the photo under cc-by-sa, something that is not clearly said or asked to the users of this competition. The organizers of the competition have a great responsibility for this. law and Presidential edict (for more see the talk page)--Ανώνυμος Βικιπαιδιστής (talk) 17:53, 7 September 2016 (UTC)