“Wiki Loves E.U.” is a Wikipedia Edit-a-thon that aims to help citizens familiarise themselves with the history and the institutions of the European Union. The Edit-a-thon is being organised in the context of the Europe Day.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- To motivate exhibiting editors and to recruit new ones.
- To help existing and new editors familiarise themselves with Wikipedia and Wikipedia’s sister projects.
- To help editors familiarise themselves with open digital content and open licenses.
- To motivate new and existing editors to research the history and the institutions of the E.U.
- To edit and enrich Wikipedia articles regarding the European Union in Greek.
- To enrich and reuse open digital content.
- To help citizens familiarise themselves with the history and the institutions of the E.U.
- To promote active participation in the commons.
- To promote citizenship and cultivate a sense of a common and shared European identity.
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. Are you doing one editathon or training or a series of editathons or trainings?
We will organise and implement one editathon with the aim/aspiration to organise it annually.
2. How will you let your community know about the event? Please paste links below to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions.
- Inter Alia (Civil Society NGO), GLAM Hack (an initiative/series of events on the creative reuses of digital cultural heritage) & Wikimedia Community User Group Greece will:
- Collaborate in order to organise and supervise the project,
- Support and encourage participants during the project,
- Actively participate in the dissemination of the project.
- In the context of this editathon, the following promotional materials will be created:
- Logo of the “Wiki Loves EU” editathon (logo already created by Boroka Balint),
- Wikipedia article of the "Wiki Loves EU" editathon,
- Facebook page of the “Wiki Loves EU” editathon,
- Poster of the “Wiki Loves EU” editathon,
- Certificates of Participation of the “Wiki Loves EU” editathon,
- Awards for the winners of the "Wiki Loves EU" editathon. The editathon will also be promoted via:
- Inter Alia website & social media pages,
- GLAM Hack website & social media pages,
- Wikimedia Community User Group Greece blog & social media pages,
- European Youth Week 2019 website.
3. Do you have experienced Wikimedia editors to lead the event?
- The editathon will be organised and implemented in collaboration with Wikimedia Community User Group Greece.
4. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them?
- The editathon will be held online, so the participants will use their own laptops.
- In any case, we will provide:
- all the relevant information regarding the Wikipedia article writing guidelines,
- suggested wikipedia articles to be improved or created, and
- suggested references to read in order to learn about the E.U., its institutions and its history.
5. How will you engage participants after the event(s)?
- On May 8th, 2019, Wikimedia Community User Group Greece will participate in Youth Fair 2019, that is being organised by Inter Alia in the context of Europe Day (May 9th) and will take place in Athens, Greece. Wikimedia Community User Group Greece will be informing the visitors of the Fair about its educational activities and about the editathon.
- In addition, on May 22nd, 2019, we will organise an award ceremony for the winners of the “Wiki Loves E.U.” editathon in collaboration with Goethe Institut Athen.
- And finally, we will ask the participants to evaluate the editathon by filling in a follow-up form.
6. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets:
- Number of participants (20-30 participants)
- Number of new editors (10 new editors)
- Number of of articles created or improved (20 articles)
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- As mentioned above, Inter Alia, GLAM Hack & Wikimedia Community User Group Greece will collaborate in order to organise, implement and promote the editathon. All the promotional materials will be created by the organisers (including both staff members and volunteers).
- In addition, Inter Alia will offer -as a 1st winning award- a trip to Bucharest, Romania in October 2019, where the1st winner of the editathon will have the opportunity to participate in the final event of the project "A new narrative for Europe: Bringing more union into the European Union", that is financed by the European Commission, EUROPE FOR CITIZENS Programme, Strand2: Democratic engagement and civic participation.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
|Catering||200 euros||For award ceremony.|
|Travel & Accommodation Costs||500 euros||For 3 members of the Wikimedia Community User Group Greece|
|Printing Materials (certificates & posters)||150 euros|
|Youth Fair 2019 Participation Fee||50 euros|
|Venue for the award ceremony||The venue will be offered for free by Goethe Institut Athen.|
|Total Budget||1250 euros|
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!