Project Goal Edit
Briefly explain what are you trying to accomplish with this project, or what do you expect will change as a result of this grant. Example goals include, "recruit new editors", "add high quality content", or "train existing editors on a specific skill".
- Recruit readers from quilombos in Maranhão to Wikipedia
- Add high quality photographic content about quilombos in Maranhão in Commons and Portuguese Wikipedia
Quilombo lands, or quilombola communities, are communities formed from descendants of African slaves with collective occupation based on their own cultural, religious, and subsistence traditions. These communities established themselves from the 16th to the 19th century with runaway and freed slaves. The need for isolation led to self sufficiency, condition still present. Infrastructure is very poor in these areas, with a lack of running water, sanitation, trash collection, and other state services, such as education and health.
Project Plan Edit
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. What will you and other organizers spend your time doing?
- Travelling onsite to the communities with the team of researchers from the state's university and a hired photographer help members of the quilombolas communities to document their ways of living, customs and scenery and give a presentation on Wikipedia use and editing.
- This activity is planned as the first activity in trying to reach out to the Quilombolas communities around Icatu. There are around 20 Quilombola communities in the area, either formally recognized or seeking recognition from the federal government.
How will you let others in your community know about your project (please provide links to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions)? Why are you targeting a specific audience?
will behas been announced on Portuguese Wikipedia village pump before being brought out of draft status.
What will you have done at the end of your project? How will you follow-up with people that are involved with your project?
- I will use Outreach Dashboard to track the contributions made through this project. The research project with the community is ongoing and there will be further opportunities to follow up.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more specific to your project:
- Number of total participants 20
- Number of articles created or improved (if applicable) 5
- Number of photos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons (if applicable) 50
- Number of photos used on Wikimedia projects (if applicable) 20
What resources do you have? Include information on who is the organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- Organizing Team
- a group of four undergraduate students from the School of Architecture and Urbanism of Maranhão's State University
- This work will be developed in partnership with:
- Labex - Laboratory of Research and Extension Actions of the Agrarian Science of Maranhão's State University
- Department of Racial Integration - State of Maranhão
- Department of Culture and Tourism - State of Maranhão
- We are still discussing what resources can be provided for us by these partners, we will certainly have:
- A projector and white sheets (makeshift projection screen) for the talk
- The support of the professors and students (still to be determined the number of each)
- It is important to note the ongoing efforts by the State government to bring basic infrastructure to these communities. These efforts will include free WiFi access, construction work with schools, roads and wells, and the development of sustainable economical projects in the quilombola communities. This is thought out as a touristic route with historical and natural sites as attractions.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense:
- Hiring a vehicle for the travel in rough terrain with a driver USD$350 (22 passengers)
- Food for participants (lunch and two coffee breaks, morning and afternoon) USD$400 (20$ per person for 20 people)
- Hiring a professional photographer used to the specifics of this kind of research and communities to help quilombolas to photograph their own communities (budgeted at USD$150)
- Printed material on how to edit and use Wikipedia (USD$50)
- This initiative is relevant in at least three dimensions. Firstly, it is an opportunity to improve content on former slave communities, that is of low quality in the project. Secondly, this could be a means of sharing the use of Wikimedia projects in community-driven content production. In this specific dimension, I appreciate the reference to preparing talks on the projects in the communities; eventually it would be nice to involve "quilombolas" in photography production. (Let me also stress this initiative appears to have an affinity with "Whose Knowledge," a recent project to improve how marginalized groups can engage actively the projects --and I believe Chico would benefit from knowing this project.) Lastly, this initiative is related to a Brazilian university, and this could be a good occasion for strengthening bonds, so to even develop an education program associated to this initiative. Good luck! --Joalpe (talk) 23:53, 14 April 2017 (UTC)
- Vitor Mazuco Msg 11:38, 23 April 2017 (UTC)
- "Governo anuncia investimentos e lança o Programa Maranhão Quilombola em Serrano | Governo do Estado do Maranhão". www.ma.gov.br (in pt-BR). Retrieved 2017-05-28.