Project Goal edit
Briefly explain what are you trying to accomplish with this project, or what do you expect will change as a result of this grant. Example goals include, "recruit new editors", "add high quality content", or "train existing editors on a specific skill".
I am an active Wikipedian that have contributed to Commons and the Norwegian projects for several years. Since I've started contributing I've donated 1.500 photographs to Commons.
Recently my main area for contributions have been quality portraits of notable people and artists for Commons. I have covered events, festivals and concerts in Oslo through cooperation with institutions, venues, festivals, artists and artist management. Many of the artists are of international interest and the project have reach outside the Norwegian wikiprojects. This was also a subject of a recent GLAM Newsletter.
The goal of the project is to:
- add high quality content to Commons
- reduce the gender gap by increasing the number of photographs of female artists
- recruit new photographers to commons (a long term goal)
- networking with management and communication directors of festivals for future projects
Project Plan edit
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. What will you and other organizers spend your time doing?
- Identify potential music festivals and concerts
- Apply for photo accreditation to the festivals and concert organisers
- Attend the music festivals and photograph artists. Network with other photographers and artists and festival management
- Post-process, add metadata and upload photographs to Commons
- Increase quality of metadata through help from Wiki-community (contributors) and embed photographs in Wikipedia articles
- Write a report and present the result to the festivals and artists
How will you let others in your community know about your project (please provide links to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions)? Why are you targeting a specific audience?
- Announcement at Wikipedia Norway, calling for contributors to identify musicians and use the photographs in articles and Wikidata.
What will you have done at the end of your project? How will you follow-up with people that are involved with your project?
As a result of me travelling to the festival, Wikipedia Commons will see:
- an increase of donated, free images of musical artists
- more Wikipedia articles will be illustrated by high quality portraits
- more articles of female subjects will be illustrated
The photographs are of artists that have relevance for Wiki-projects outside Norway.
It's an opportunity to present Commons to other concert photographers and solicit photographers to contribute to Wikipedia and donate photographs to Commons.
Through networking with the festival management and press coordinators we'll expand Wikimedia Norway's network on the culture scene and making it possible to repeat this project for future concerts and next years festival season.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more specific to your project:
- Number of total participants: 1 + community participation
- Number of articles created or improved (if applicable): Not directly applicable
- Number of photos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons (if applicable): 200-500 high quality photographs
- Number of photos used on Wikimedia projects (if applicable): 30-100 photographs
What resources do you have? Include information on who is the organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
Wikimedia Norge has contributed with administrative support and access to culture institutions and contacts in Norway. I'm not receiving monetary compensation from any other organizations and the project is based on my voluntary contribution.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense:
For Stavernfestivalen: Three daily return trips from Oslo to Stavern (approximently 310 kilometers each day, total 930 km)
- Car rental: NOK 2000 (including insurance, mileage etc)
- Petrol: NOK 600
- Toll: NOK 450
- Travel (round trip train fare from Oslo to Kristiansand): NOK 850
- Accommodation: NOK 850 per night x 3 nights = NOK 2550
This application was originally filed as a TPS Grant applications. Since then, I've become aware of Rapid grant and have choosen to apply for this instead. The two original TPS applications are withdrawn and can be seen here (for Q25) and here (for Stavernfestivalen). The former applications contains endorsement from Astrid Carlsen, Executive Director of Wikimedia Norway and Hogne Neteland, Chairman of Wikimedia Norway.