Grants:Project/Rapid/Toluwalase Johnson/Wiki4All Campaign: Hearing Impaired Edit-A-Thon
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. Are you doing one editathon or training or a series of editathons or trainings?
There would be two (2) physical training event. This will occur in a hall where we'll have different representatives of Hearing-impaired students from different special needs schools in Ilorin for two days.
2. How have you let relevant Wikimedia communities know about this proposal? You are required to provide links to on-wiki pages to inform these communities about your proposed work. Examples of places where this can be done include community discussion pages, affiliate discussion pages, or relevant project talk pages.
You may also provide information about external social media channels you may be using.
We would be posting the event on the talk page of the Nigerian Wikimedia user group and also share with other respective target groups like Wikiproject Nigeria and the Ilorin Wikimedia community talk pages.
3. How will you let participants know about the edit-a-thon? In what ways will you be communicating with them?
For example, these can include on-wiki spaces, social media channels, mailing lists, messaging apps, or physical/online gatherings.
1. Through social media channels, adverts and promotions would be out to create awareness on what we want to do and achieve.
2. Also, we'll have wikimedians from the Nigeria National Association Of The Deaf (University of Ilorin Chapter), post on their group to help create awareness about the event.
4. Do you have experienced Wikimedia editors to lead the event? Please provide links to the usernames of these individuals.
For example: User:I JethroBT
- User:Toluwalase Johnson (event organizer and bringing on board of other facilators)
- User:Timmylegend will be discussing on the Wikimedia projects and How to contribute to it.
- Haylad will be facilitating training on English Wikipedia
- User: Bilijin will be facilitating training on Wikidata.
- Godstime Elijah
- Precious Obiorah
5. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them?
Laptops and internet access would be made available with participants alongside sign language interpreters. 6. How will you engage participants after the event(s)?
We'll keep in touch through Whatsapp and Telegram groups where we would inform them about upcoming wikimedia events and edit-a-thons.
7. Are you running any in-person events or activities? If so, you will need to complete the steps outlined on the Risk Assessment protocol related to COVID-19. When you have completed these steps, please provide a link to your completed copy of the risk assessment tool below:
8. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
1. At the end of this project we'll have introduced Wikipedia and its sister projects to hearing-impaired students from the special needs secondary schools.
2. We'll have trained young hearing-impaired students on how to edit Wikipedia articles and encourage them to create articles.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets:
- Number of events - 2
- Number of participants at the physical event - 30
- Number of of articles created or improved - 30
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- Hall for in-person training = $230
- Sign Language interpreters= $100
- Food and Drinks during training = $7x30=$210
- Roll up banner = $75
- Branded T-Shirts = $7x10=$70
- Internet (during and after the Project for report writing) = $200
- Local travel for the team member that will be involved in the training = $80
- Air travel = $300
- Hotel lodging of facilitators = $80
- Souvenirs (Jotters, pens, stickers and pamphlet) = $8 x 30=$240
- Nose Masks- $50
- Hand Sanitizers = $10
- Airtime for Communication = $22
- Rental (Projector and Camera) =$85
- Certificate of Participation for 30 people $5 x 30= $150
- Contingency = $50
Total = $1952
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
Strong support This project would strengthen the diversity and inclusion efforts of the Wikimedia movement in Nigeria and would provide opportunities for more involvement and contributions. Timmylegend (talk) 14:07, 9 October 2021 (UTC)
Strong support Having a project that's aimed at improving the inclusion and involvement of hearing impaired people in the Wikimedia movement would be excellent Bilijin (talk) 16:17, 9 October 2021 (UTC)
Strong support This project will help recruit younger Nigerian Wikimedians, it is also a better idea as it is involving the hearing impaired community in Ilorin. A good way to promote diversity and inclusion in the Ilorin Wikimedia community.Haylad (talk) 13:25, 15 October 2021 (UTC)