Grants:Project/Rapid/Swwiki workshop astronomia/Report
- Report accepted
- To read the approved grant submission describing the plan for this project, please visit Grants:Project/Rapid/Swwiki workshop astronomia.
- You may still comment on this report on its discussion page, or visit the discussion page to read the discussion about this report.
- You are welcome to Email rapidgrants at wikimedia dot org at any time if you have questions or concerns about this report.
We consider the project a success. We met our goals as far as the workshop could go. Before the workshop we had a period of intense cooperation with volunteer readers-correctors from the Astronomy and Space Science Association of Tanzania ASSAT. We had high ranking specialists from the Institute of Swahili Research who participated in a number of workings sessions.
The feedback was throughout positive.
For the ASSAT teachers and lecturers (we had 5 lecturers and one senior professor as participants) involved it was the first time to see how wikipedia works. For the wikipedians involved - mostly young students- it was an encounter with professionals most had not yet experienced. The editing was done in pairs of one ASSAT member and one wikipedian and it went well.
|Target outcome||Achieved outcome||Explanation|
|Add or improve content||over 290 articles were revised and corrected by ASSAT members||the revisions were assembled into a manuscript which was the basis for the work at the workshop together with the collected remarks and proposals, then entered online|
|discuss proposed revisions of the texts from swwiki prepared by members of Astronomy and Space Science Associaton of Tanzania (ASSAT)||done||The working sessions on Saturday morning and afternoon centered on the proposals and assembled criticism, were discussed with input from specialists of the Institute of Swahili Research|
|enter these revisions into the online articles of swwiki||done||we worked in partner teams of one ASSAT member and one experienced wikipedian|
|Hand over manuscript to Institute of Swahili Research||still open.||We remain with selection of proposed images for the articles (selection from commons); I propose to use remaining funds for 2 workshop sessions with local wikimedians in Dar es Salaam|
|enhance standing and image of wikipedia by getting a book of content taken from wikipedia||a) working in wikipedia and with young wikipedians definitely left a positive impression on involved professional; b) the printing is of course not yet done||This is up to Institute of Swahili Research|
Projects do not always go according to plan. Sharing what you learned can help you and others plan similar projects in the future. Help the movement learn from your experience by answering the following questions:
- What worked well? the cooperation between older ASSAT members and younger wikimedians during the workshop went exceedingly well. And I did not expect several specialists from TATAKI (Uni of Dar Institute of Swahili Research) to spend so much time with us.
- What did not work so well? the process of coreading by ASSAT members took more time than expeted because a number of volunteers dropped out or could finish their assigned prortions so that we had to look for replacements which we finally got. So it was helpful that WMF was late in responding to our application; if WMF had answered in time we would have gotten into a squeeze.
- What would you do differently next time? not agree again to invite journalists to cover the opening. Because in Tanzania they expect to be paid by the organizer. Did not know this before. And what came out as report was not worth it.
Grant funds spentEdit
As I received Euro I give amounts in Euro at exchange rate of 2577 : Hotel accomodation 322.08, food and catering 272.41, travel cost bus & taxi 299.23, air travel 371.06, support staff OUT overtime 42.69, contingencies 94.41.
TOTAL EXPENDITURE 1,401.88 Euro
I received 1654 Euro and remain with 254 Euro
I propose to use this on 2-3 sessions with local wikimedians and available local ASSAT members to go for selection of images from commons for incorporation into the manuscript plus some quality control (doublechecking on corrections that are supposed to have been done). I would use the money for catering plus in-city-travel expenses.
I will keep WMF updated about the further progress of the lexikon project. If the Dar visit by Woubzena and Asaf materializes it will be an opportunty for more detailed information as needed.