Grants:Project/Rapid/Semester Funding for Meetups in Rain Semester 2017/2018 Session, Wikimedia Fan Club, University of Ilorin
Please see the sample Meeting application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed. With our weekly meet-ups, we shall:
- Engage and keep undergraduate
members involved with the club.
- Take advantage of the diversity of academic disciplines to create and improve contents across a wide array of topics
- Increase skills for existing editors
- Educate students and faculty on how to utilize and edit Wikipedia.
- Motivate and train existing editors/members on editing
- Recruit new members for the club who will be editors for Wikipedia.
- Collaboratively improve the quality of Wikimedia project content through edit-a-thons, workshops, educational programs, and more.
- Support and engage in any Wikimedia-oriented online event/challenge.
- Outreaching to more women to join Wikimedia
- Fill the African content gap on Wikimedia projects
- Create a physical community of student editors.
- What is the purpose of the meeting and why is it important to your community?
- As highlighted in the project goals above, the meetings are to engage and train new and existing editors. It will also help us bridge content gaps and improve articles relating to our geographic location on academic disciplines.
At each meeting, we will focus on an area of topics which would have been decided on the WhatsApp group. This physical meeting gives room for editors to collaborate, encounter challenges together and fix them. It gives room to discuss, strategize and brainstorm around other issues relating to the Wikimedia projects. The gathering will also attract students passing by to enquire about the club.
- If applicable, what benefits have you seen from doing this kind of meeting in the past?
- The founding members have only been meeting online since December 2018. On the Whatsapp group, we engage in discussions, tasks, challenges and activities around Wikimedia projects and this have yielded positive results. Out of about 30 that created a Wikimedia account from that Whatsapp group, more than 5 now have more than 100 edits each (3 on this list have 200+ with and they represent creators of 7 out of more than 15 articles created by members of the group).
- User:Rocky Bash
- User:MaryamOke (F)
- User:Bilijin (F)
- User:Teemah 24 (F)
These editors are new and their activity is steady. We can do more in our university's youthful society.
- How will you let participants know about the meeting?
- From our launching, we will use the attendance register to reach out to participants. We will also be pasting notices around campus. We will also be posting digital flyers on the school's various WhatsApp groups.
- How will you keep participants engaged after the meeting is over?
- After each meeting, participants will be added to the club's WhatsApp group. Should there be any challenges faced by anyone while editing, the WhatsApp group can support. The General Secretary, who keeps records which includes contacts from meet-ups would regularly give a call when subsequent meetings are to be held.
- Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- The club recently got Project/Rapid/Launching of Wikimedia Fan Club. This grant is to fund the meetings that are expected by students and faculty to follow immediately after the launching.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more specific to your project:
- Number of estimated participants at meetings: 25
- Number of meetings: 12
- Number of total new members/editors: 30 participants who have never contributed to Wikipedia before.
- Number of articles created or improved (if applicable): 80 new articles and more than 1000 edits(primarily through edit-a-thons)
- Number of photos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons: More than 130 images.
- Number of photos used on Wikimedia projects: 10
- Food & drinks =N1000 | 3.28 USD/meeting x 25 people x 12 meetups = N300000 | $983.60
- Data 3GB= N3000/meeting x 12 meetups= N36,000 | $118.03
To be shared amongst members periodically to identify with the Wikimedia project, publicise the club and attract others.
- Wikipedia branded shirts for new consistent editors who would not have received shirts at the launching= N3000 x 30 pieces= N90,000 | $295.08
- Wikipedia branded Lapel pins= N1000 x 50= N50000 |$163.93
- Wikipedia branded notebooks= N500 x 50 = N25000 | $81.96
Certificate of participationEdit
A certificate of participation to committed undergraduate members at the end of the semester appreciates them and endorses them as volunteer editors on Wikipedia which they may add to their resume
- Certificates: N500 x 50 = N25000 | $81.96
- Fliers (Wiki Needs You)= N35000 |$114.75
- Contingency funds (stationeries, printouts, calls, SMS units etc. ) = N25000 | $81.96
Total: N586000 | $1921.31Edit
Forex rate used is $1 = 305, provided by the Central Bank of Nigeria and used by banks
The events/meetings will definitely deepen the interest of Undergraduate and Postgraduate students in Wikimedia and all its tools. The 'swags' will serve as a reward/souvenir for attendance and this will also spur users to actively volunteer in the use of Wikimedia and all its tools, thereby improving the contents. Haylad (talk) 13:03, 12 May 2018 (UTC)
The subsequent meet-ups after the launch will sustain the club and allow it to keep functioning optimally, by allowing regular interaction among members, and training new and old members which would allow for growth of Wikipedia and it's sister projects.Timmylegend (talk) 03:05, 19 May 2018 (UTC)
To keep the club going, the meet-ups are very important, been a mostly students club, programs outlined above will increase the interest of the members and other people around to join and contribute to Wikipedia. Biggiepopa (talk) 06:15, 19 May 2018 (UTC)
Wikimedia Unilorin hub serves to reach out to the grassroots. This can be made possible with subsequent meet-ups,thereby bringing about more volunteers and also encouraging the members of the hub. MaryamOke (talk) 08:33, 19 May 2018 (UTC)MaryamOke
The Meetups are important to help keep watch on the growth of individuals and to learn new things about Wikipedia. It is also an avenue to get new contributors to join the Wikimedia Fanclub Unilorin. [[User:Teemah 24 |Teemah 24] (talk) 5:43,19 May 2018 (UTC)Teemah 24