Please see the sample Editathon/Training application before drafting your application.
Project Goal Edit
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Recruit new editors: this will be achieved by organising a training webinar and in-person edit-a-thon for 25 new women-Wikipedia editors
- Increase skills for existing editors: this will be achieved by including 5 editors who are already involved in Wikipedia editing but lack experience will be involved in our webinar and edit-a-thon and will be writing new articles
- Add or improve content: this will be achieved by writing at least 50 new articles at the edit-a-thon, and as practice we will edit at least 20 existing articles on women's health and rights. By the end of 2022, the new editors will write at least 100 new articles.
Project Plan Edit
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. Are you doing one editathon or training or a series of editathons or trainings?
- We are organising a two-day Edit-A-Thon (September 24-25 2021). Before and after the edit-a-thon we will oragnise webinars for the participants, providing training including an overview of Wikipedia in Croatian, how to choose topics and how to edit existing articles. Follow-up meetings will be held to maintain motivation after the event and to encourage participants to continue writing and editing for Wikipedia and Wikidata in Croatian, individually as DIY and DIWO activity after the initial event is over.
2. How have you let relevant Wikimedia communities know about this proposal? You are required to provide links to on-wiki pages to inform these communities about your proposed work. Examples of places where this can be done include community discussion pages, affiliate discussion pages, or relevant project talk pages.
You may also provide information about external social media channels you may be using.
- We are in contact with the HrW initiative (https://hr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedija:HrW_inicijativa), which will be supporting us to train new editors and to learn about the process and rules for editing Wikipedia. Currently, we have not done any public communications about this project, but we will use social media to report on the event (Facebook and Twitter: @UdrugaRoda, Instagram: @roditelji.u.akciji), and on media that cover the NGO sector in Croatia (e.g. www.civilnodrustvo.hr)
3. How will you let participants know about the edit-a-thon? In what ways will you be communicating with them?
For example, these can include on-wiki spaces, social media channels, mailing lists, messaging apps, or physical/online gatherings.
- We’ve made a list of potential editors (edit-a-thon participants) who we will reach out to directly at the end of July, inviting them to participate. We choose the editors from our own networks of female advocates and journalists in Croatia. There are 40 people on the list, and we will ask them to forward the invitation to other women in their networks who may be interested, and who would be good Wikipedia editors.
4. Do you have experienced Wikimedia editors to lead the event? Please provide links to the usernames of these individuals.
For example: User:I JethroBT
5. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them?
- Yes. With regard to equipment, the majority of Edit-a-thon participants have their own personal laptops, and for those who do not have a laptop they can bring to the edit-a-thon (e.g. they are travelling to Zagreb or do not have one), the organizer (Roda) will secure 4-5 additional laptops. Edit-a-thon participants are chosen using a number of criteria: they have knowledge about women’s reproductive health and rights, they are objective and are good writers. Edit-a-thon participants do not have any technical experience editing Wikipedia and they do not know anything about the rules of editing. For this reason we will organise a webinar at the beginning of September to give them basic information. They will also get a document with instructions and links to existing resources on editing Wikipedia. Roda will ensure that we have a volunteer-proofreader available. She will not be writing articles, but will be available for editors during the writing process, especially those who need help with proofreading grammar.
6. How will you engage participants after the event(s)?
- It is important that our participants remain active and included in the Wikipedia community after this event, since we plan on writing at least another 100 new articles on topics related to women, women’s rights and reproductive health by the end of 2022. For this reason we have chosen an in-person event where the participants can meet and get to know each other, through creating a vibrant community of women Wikipedia editors. Edit-a-thon participants will gain useful knowledge and skills through side-event workshops that we will organise for them during the edit-a-thon as thanks for volunteering. Since all the participants are also activists associated with NGOs, media outlets or advoacacy and feminist initiatives, we will keep them informed about Roda’s further activities relating to women’s health (world cafes, workshops and trainings, including preparing an action plan for women’s health in Croatia). We will create a communications channel for information exchange where the community of participants can suggest and comment on topics for articles or necessary updates of existing articles. In this way we will ensure that they will remain part of the Wikipedia community after the initial edit-a-thon is over. We will also network with other Wiki communities in Croatia, and encourage the editors from our edit-a-thon to also join them by sharing information about future Wiki actions in Croatia.
7. Are you running any in-person events or activities? If so, you will need to complete the steps outlined on the Risk Assessment protocol related to COVID-19. When you have completed these steps, please provide a link to your completed copy of the risk assessment tool below:
- Yes, the central event will be held in Zagreb on September 24-25 2021. The event will include a total of 30 authors and participants, but not at the same time (some will participate on Friday, others on Saturday). We have rented a large space for this event (160m2) with a large lobby, that meets the requirements for social distancing and has all the equipment commercial spaces need to hold events during the COVID-19 epidemic (thermometers, dry hand washing stations, good air conditioning and sound systems). The space is a large co-working space which will be reserved exclusively for our edit-a-thon during the two days. Those participants who are arriving from other cities in Croatia will be provided with single hotel accommodations to minimise the risk of spreading COVID. Before the event, the organizer will obtain permission from the public health authority to hold the event. Participants will be required to provide documentation decreed by the public health authority (COVID passports, temperature measurement, contact tracing if needed, etc). If the public health authority does not approve the event in the planned format, and if the pandemic situation is not favourable (as it is currently), we will hold the event online. Assessment: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1HZk-It7AIKy8NfO_CY7dAXMD1mESJxn7gHvWjpKew2E/edit#gid=83886443
8. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- This will be the first women’s edit-a-thon in Croatia. We were inspired to organise it because of the small number of articles on Croatian Wikipedia about women’s health and rights – the articles that exist lack details, are outdated and were mostly written by men. Often, the articles are biased. This is a problem because a very large number of pupils and students use Croatian Wikipedia as their only source of information for projects and essays. Although Roda has written a large number of materials, brochures, research articles and books we have not yet been active in editing Wikipedia topics in our area of work. When we asked other, very qualified women why they don’t edit Croatian Wikipedia, the majority answered that they don’t know how to and that they are scared to begin, echoing our own sentiments. We believe that we will diffuse this fear of editing Wikipedia best through this (ideally in-person) group, all-women edit-a-thon, motivating and encouraging women to continue editing once the initial event is over.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets:
- Number of events - 1 main (2 supporting events)
- Number of participants - 30
- Number of new editors - 25
- Number of of articles created or improved - 50
- Number of repeat participants (for projects that include a series of events) - n/a
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- The main resource is Roda’s organisational capacity. Event organisation will be run by Roda’s executive team of 8 employees who have the knowledge and experience in event organisation. Roda is very well networked in Croatia, and we will motivate other women’s organisations to work on women’s issues in the form of Wikipedia articles. Roda has pulled together varied stakeholders in events like this very successfully in the past, and we have the institutional and infrastructure capacity to do it again. Funding from an EEA Grant (https://eeagrants.org/) will cover some of the technical requirements for the organisation of this event: a large space with excellent wifi, enough power outlets, tables and ergonomic chairs. We also have streaming equipment available, so that we can live stream parts of the event on Facebook and YouTube. This funding also covers the travel and accomodations costs for women who are coming to Zagreb from other parts of Croatia to participate in the event. It also includes the cost of lunch and dinner for participants during the two days of the event. During the two days participants will also be able to attend other workshops (like self-defence KravMaga workshops, workshops on women’s archetypes, assertive communication and more), which will be conducted by volunteers. Roda will use its own funding to prepare promotional materials, gifts for all participants (t-shirts or thermos bottles for coffee/tea with an event logo). The event will not have for-profit sponsors because Roda has a strong code of ethics that regulates collaboration with the for-profit sector.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- We need to have Wikimedians in Residence as experienced Wikimedia editors who will design a training webinar for all participants and provide support throughout the organisation of the event. For at least 4 such persons who are members of HrW Inicijativa, we require 10,500 HRK (approx 1600 USD) (gross amounts, paid by contract). Also, we would like to create a logo for the event that we will be able to use for event communications (social media, media, memes, promotional materials given to participants), for which we need an additional 2000 HRK (approx 300 USD) (costs of design). The exact total is 1,967.51 US$.
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
- I am looking forward to an opportunity to help support advance content growth and participation diversification on Wikipedia in Croatian language --Zblace (talk) 06:36, 16 July 2021 (UTC)
- Information about women's health and rights in Croatian needs to be upgraded, and this is a great opportunity! 184.108.40.206 06:27, 16 July 2021 (UTC)
- Information about women's reproduction rights and women's health is scarce even though it's an extremely important topic so I will gladly contribute as much as I can to fix that. Lor H (talk) 16:57, 8 August 2021 (UTC)
- I like the idea, and I would like to help this project by writing pages in Croatian and other languages. Druidpepo (talk) 09:42, 10 August 2021 (UTC)
- It targets real needs and it can create a community for editing and contributing to diversity on Wikipedia 220.127.116.11 09:06, 18 August 2021 (UTC)
- The event will help to create a local team that will write about topics that are underrepresented and will contribute to diverse articles and topics on Wikipedia. Drugarica1 (talk) 13:37, 20 August 2021 (UTC)
- Because I think it is important Mtrcol (talk) 11:50, 27 August 2021 (UTC)
- Volunteer I'd like to be a volunteer. MadameSiegemund (talk) 07:53, 16 July 2021 (UTC)
- Volunteer Editing texts on wikipedia concidering feminist/queer subjects, theology, cultural studies ect. 18.104.22.168 11:37, 27 August 2021 (UTC)
- Volunteer I would like to help with organization of the main event. Mtrcol (talk) 11:50, 27 August 2021 (UTC)