Wikimedians of Romania and Moldova User Group (WMROMD) has in its plan for 2018 a commemorative project - „Romania 100”, dedicated to 100 years anniversary of the Romanian state. After a series of preliminary discussions we have identified the University of Cluj as a possible partner for developing a common project. (Coordinator from the university professor Vlad Popovici - vlad.popovici[at]ubbcluj.ro).
This project is the follow-on of a previously approved project.
The project supports achievement of one of the main strategic objectives of the WMROMD-UG, namely to structural geographical gap, by attracting contributors from those region of our countries (Romania and Moldova) that are underrepresented in Romanian Wikipedia today. In this respect, we will follow the next operational goals:
- Raising awareness about Wikimedia projects and WMROMD projects
- Encouraging potential contributors to participate and recruiting new editors
- Developing skills for existing editors
- Creating or improving a significant numbers of articles related to this very important event in the history of Romania
- Demonstrating and learning how collective editing works
- Providing quality training and support for the new editors
- Developing a friendly and collaborative work environment
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. Are you doing one editathon or training or a series of editathons or trainings?
- The projects inlcudes a series of 4 (four) related activities, as follow:
- 1 online writing contest - 15 October-30 November 2018
- 1 online training course - October
- 2 offline meetings:
- 1 Editahon (Cluj, October)
- 1 Editahon (Cluj, November)
2. How will you let your community know about the event? Please paste links below to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions.
- Facebook page of Romanian Wikipedia
- Facebook page of Wikimedians of Romania and Moldova User Group
- direct contact and notices to potential comunities
3. Do you have experienced Wikimedia editors to lead the event?
- Yes. The project will be coordinated and supported by the members of Wikimedians of Romania and Moldova User Group.
4. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them?
- From our previous experience and having in mind the specificity of the project, we expect that some people will require a specific training, on such issues as writing texts and creating the basic structure of Wikipedia articles. For this reason, we planned a brief training session at the beginning of the editathons, as well as a dedicated training workshop within the project.
- We try to ensure that the majority of participants have their personal equipment to edit. In case this does not happen, we are able to make available some tablets. In addition to this, we have free access to internet.
5. How will you engage participants after the event(s)?
Our intention is to follow a series of activities, such as:
- sending a welcome message to new editors after the event
- monitoring the work done by new editors between the edtitahons so they can answer questions and offer feedback; most probably using hashtags in edit descriptions
- disseminating the results of the contest through articles in Wikipedia, photographs and media release
- implement a mailing list for sending informative and motivating emails to the subscribers.
6. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- The project is part of the first Annual Plan of the new-constituted Wikimedians of Romania and Moldova User Group.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets:
- Number of events - 4
- Number of participants - 30/editathon
- Number of new editors - 30/project
- Number of of articles created or improved - 400
- Number of repeat participants (for projects that include a series of events)
- 20 at all 2 offline activities
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- free of charge venue - provided by the University from Cluj
- free of charge accommodation in Cluj for the WMROMD representative
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- Food and drink for 2 editathons x 30 people each = $ 100
- For online contest (1 x $ 40, 1 x $ 30, 1 x $ 20) = $ 90
- For editathons:
- First Place (2 x $ 25) = $ 50
- Second Place (2 x $ 15) = $ 30
- Reference materials on the subject of editathons - $ 50
- Promotional materials (posters, banner, t-shirts, brochure, pins, stickers, certificates etc.) = $ 100
- Office supplies = $ 40
- Participation of the WMROMD representative
- Travel - round trip airfare from Bucharest to Cluj 2 x $ 100 = $ 200
- Meals and incidentals: 2 days x $ 30 = $ 60
Total = $ 620
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!