Briefly explain what are you trying to accomplish with this project, or what do you expect will change as a result of this grant. Example goals include, "recruit new editors", "add high quality content", or "train existing editors on a specific skill".
- This is for finalizing and follow-up on an already implemented extension mw:Extension:LangCodeOverride. The extension is primarily a means to reduce friction between projects, as some projects (notably nowiki) use a language code that is a macrocode for a larger language group, while some projects use a language code that are more specific.
- The extension is not a final solution to the language code problem, it is more like a band-aid until all the necessary scripts are made for moving the projects to correct language codes.
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. What will you and other organizers spend your time doing?
- This is to cover development time for the final finish. A deployment will although only happen after a go at several levels, but note that this is about the preparations for such a deployment.
How will you let others in your community know about your project (please provide links to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions)? Why are you targeting a specific audience?
- There is a note at w:no:Wikipedia:Tinget#LangCodeOverride(permlink) An alternate proposal is to reinsert a previously removed bug.
What will you have done at the end of your project? How will you follow-up with people that are involved with your project?
- The extension will be ready for deployment.
Note; it could be some activity in the coming weeks, mostly on polishing rough edges, but also on fixing special site matrix so it could override the troublesome language codes.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more specific to your project:
- The project will be successful if the extension is deployed and users find the solution sufficient.
What resources do you have? Include information on who is the organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- The core resource is the extension, which is already made.
- As far as I know no one else is working actively on this project, or has expressed interest in supporting the project.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense:
- Usual follow-up from the technical community and WMF staff to make the final polish
- Security review
- Product review
- Design review
- I'm not quite sure the two last points are necessary in this case.
The estimated workload is about 2 full-time person-weeks for an experienced developer; or about one person-month at 50 %. This workload estimation is based on the main developer's previous experience with similar projects. (A progression at 50 % is more likely, as some of the work needs coordination.)
|Main developer||Final polish of proposed code||Part time (50 %)||4||USD 2025|
|There is no co-funding|
|Total||rapid grant, total amount is limited||USD 2000|
The item cost for development time are computed as follows: The main developer's gross salaries (including 35 % Norwegian income tax) are estimated upon pay given to similar projects using Norwegian standard salaries, giving NOK 8642 per week, given the current exchange rate of 1 NOK = 0.11718 USD, and two weeks of full-time work. It only includes the final polish to make it production ready, and does not include ordinary development which is done. (Refactoring is in progress, but that is outside this proposal.)