Grants:Project/Rapid/Planning Wikimedia Tanzania Group/Creating Wikipedia awareness to Tanzanian community
Please see the sample Editathon/Training application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Create awareness of Wikipedia and sister projects
- Recruit a minimum of 6 new editors
- Improve skills of at least 10 existing editors
- Add or improve at least 10 contents
- Discuss the future of the Tanzanian group (forming Wikimedia Community User Group Tanzania)
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. Are you doing one editathon or training or a series of editathons or trainings?
- We are planning to do one editathon.
2. How will you let your community know about the event? Please paste links below to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions.
- We will use Buni innovation hub media, our facebook pages (Planning Wikimedia Tanzania User Group, Wikipedia Ya Kiswahili) and other media such as WhatsApp groups to inform the community about the editathon event.
3. Do you have experienced Wikimedia editors to lead the event?
- Our team has 5 experienced editors to help lead the editathon and to support participants during the training and one Wikipedian who is good at event planning and will be responsible for the Planning and Logistics of the event.
4. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them?
- We will host our event at Buni innovation hub where we will have access to some few computers for those who don't have and we will encourage our participants to come with their own computers. We will have experienced editors from our group available to share their skills amongst the participants.
5. How will you engage participants after the event(s)?
- We will encourage our participants to like our facebook pages, join our WhatsApp group or follow us up on our mata page so that they can stay updated and be able to get further assistance.
6. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- This project is expected to recruit mostly university students from different nearby universities who can contribute different articles and edit existing articles on Wikipedia. This is because we have noticed such category of people have the time and energy to contribute.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets:
- Number of participants: 20
- Number of new editors: 5
- Number of of articles created or improved: 10
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- Felix Nartey- Advisor
- Antoni Mtavangu-I have been coordinating and training Wikipedians community in Tanzania for the past one year and organizing events including the first Wikipedia editathon for our group.
- Paul Mandele-I have been supporting Wikipedia movements in Tanzania through provision of meeting space (Buni innovation hub) and Planning of Wikipedia events for the past one year.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- Tea/Coffee Break = $2 * 20 = $40
- Lunch & Drinks = $7 * 20 = $140
- Water = $0.50 * 20 = $10
- Internet = $70 * 1 = $70
- T-shirts = $10 * 20 = $200
- Generator backup = $111
- Transportation = $45 * 1 = $45
- Total Budget = $616
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!