Please see the related sample proposal for equipment projects.
Did you meet your goals? Are you happy with how the project went?
Overall, we are happy with the project. The user group organized 5 photo walks (one month we were not able to organize a walk due to conflicting schedules and holidays) and a writing competition. We were able to document 50 historic sites that were not yet documented on Commons or Wikipedia. We trained 5 active members of the user group to use the new camera and they have been actively documenting local heritage sites in their free time. The tracking log has been very useful in sharing the equipment.
Please report on your original project targets.
|Target outcome||Achieved outcome||Explanation|
|600 photos uploaded||458 photos uploaded||We uploaded approximately 10 photos per site, which was more than enough to illustrate each site.|
|150 photos used on Wikimedia projects||206 photos used on Wikimedia projects||The writing contest definitely helped get more photos used on the projects!|
|50 articles created/improved||56 articles created/improved||Each site that we documented has a corresponding article that was either created or improved. Volunteers also improved a few sites that had already been covered.|
What worked well? What didn't work so well? What would you do differently next time?
- It's great to have a high-quality camera for the user group and it has definitely impacted the quality of photos.
- While the tracking logbook is helpful in knowing who has the camera at what time, it is still a lot of work coordinating handing-off the camera.
- The writing contest was helpful for integrating photos on Wikipedia. It would be good to also offer a prize for the person who documents the most number of sites in a certain time period. The list of sites can be daunting so it would help with motivation!
- It would be a good idea to partner with local history experts and we will research the best places to connect with them -- schools, clubs, architecture associations, etc.
Please describe how much grant money you spent for approved expenses, and tell us what you spent it on. Please email receipts to rapidgrants AT wikimedia DOT org
- Camera, warranty, tax = $475
If there are remaining funds, please list the amount here. Remaining funds must be returned to WMF, reallocated to similar activities or applied to another approved grant. Let us know what you'd like to do.
No remaining funds.