Grants:Project/Rapid/OtuNwachinemere/Photowalk of Minna, Niger State Nigeria
Please see the sample Photowalk application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed. You can add details to each goal.
- Add or improve content on Wikimedia Commons
- Recruit new editors
- Engage existing editors
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. How many walks/tours will you organize and how many people on each walk?
- There will one photography training and 3 Photowalks with 3 photographers
2. What kind of content will the walks focus on? Why is this topic a priority?
- The tours will focus on documenting the Architecture, monuments and city gates of Minna, the traditional ruler palaces as well as places of worship and commerce. They include: The 2 city gates, Emir palace, Dagacin Bosso palace,COE Minna, UK Bello, Kure market, Kasuwan Gwari, School of health technology, Murtala park, Democracy park, Magartakada garden, School of nursing and Midwifery, Legbo Kutigi conference centre, Niger state government house, Niger state house of assembly, State secretariat,Obasanjo shopping complex, State high court, Federal reserve centre,etc.
These subjects are an important representation of the city's cultural diversity and historical and national relevance. Currently only 2 photos return from search of Minna on Commons.
3. How have you let relevant Wikimedia communities know about this proposal? You are required to provide links to on-wiki pages to inform these communities about your proposed work. Examples of places where this can be done include community discussion pages, affiliate discussion pages, or relevant project talk pages.
You may also provide information about external social media channels you may be using.
- I have announced the project here.
4. How will you let participants know about the photowalk? In what ways will you be communicating with them?
For example, these can include on-wiki spaces, social media channels, mailing lists, messaging apps, or physical/online gatherings.
- Messaging apps: WhatsApp and Zoom
5. What is the plan to ensure images will be used on Wikimedia projects?
- There will be an edit-a-thon right after each photowalk to link photos to existing articles
6. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them?
- Required skills, Yes. However, only 1 participant currently has a Camera, We will rent 2 Cameras and 1 Drone for Aerial shots of the city. There will be a brief training on good photography and how to navigate Commons.
7. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- While this project will provide quality images of the city of Minna, It also aims to engage new contributors on the movement and stimulate fresh textual content on Wikipedia.
8. Are you running any in-person events or activities? If so, you will need to complete the steps outlined on the Risk Assessment protocol related to COVID-19. When you have completed these steps, please provide a link to your completed copy of the risk assessment tool below:
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more:
- Number of participants - 3
- Number of photos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons - 90
- Number of photos used on Wikimedia projects - 20
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- In addition to Laptops, 1 Camera, accommodation and security, We have:
- OtuNwachinemere - Project lead and experienced Wikimedian
- Baleegraphy - Experienced photographer and Instructor
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- Rent of 2 DSLR cameras 100 X 2 = 200
- Rent of 1 DJI Mavic Air drone = 150
- Local transport for participants = 640
- Food and Drink during each of the Photowalk 25 X 3 X 3 = 225
- Internet access for upload sessions = 70
- Branded Shirts & ID 20 X 3 = 60
- Miscellaneous = 30
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!