Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Add or improve content and increase the awareness towards human rights, especially concerning indigenous peoples.
- Recruit new editors and volunteers: we expect to attract at least 20 new Wikipedia editors and engage at least 5 new volunteers for our organization.
- Increase skills for existing editors: we open the invitation for participants of the previous workshops.
- Improve a total of 10 different articles during the editathon.
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. Are you doing one editathon or training or a series of editathons or trainings?
- We are hosting a series of editathons in a two days event in Maracaibo.
2. How will you let your community know about the event? Please paste links below to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions.
- This event has been in the oven for sometime. After the first event of this kind held in Caracas in 2018 with the support of Wikimedia Argentina, we wanted to replicate that experience in others cities, but with the turmoil of last year we chose to postpone it. It wasn't till the 2nd wayuu editathon of December of 2019 that we started to pave the way for this years event.
3. Do you have experienced Wikimedia editors to lead the event?
- Yes, two experienced editors will be leading the edit-a-thon, with remote support from many others.
4. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them?
- As previous events, we are planning to send a guide tutorial of Wikipedia. Also, during the first day of the event will be held a basic workshop to plain the field for the edit-a-thon.
5. How will you engage participants after the event(s)?
- We are planning to continue the communication post-event through email, and now we are enabling the possibility of the participants to join our Telegram and WhatsApp public groups after the event, to futher their welcoming into the local movement.
6. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- We are talking additional measures to have a safe place open for discussion regarding human rights in the context of the indigenous people, that is why we will be starting our event talking about online security, anonymity in the web and how to work freely in the wiki without repercussions with resources of organizations like Access Now and the Electronic Frontier Foundation.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets:
- Number of events: 2
- Number of participants: 20
- Number of new editors: 10
- Number of of articles created or improved: 10
- Number of repeat participants (for projects that include a series of events):5
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- We count we the human resources in the ground to arrange the event, Wikimedia Venezuela is helping with the logistic organization (surveys, list of articles), and this time around we are counting to have a venue for free.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- The event is scheduled to all day, we need refreshments (small lunch, drinks, water and coffee) for 25 persons (20 participants, 5 Wikipedians and staff). Public transport is a huge problem at the moment in Maracaibo, that is why are going to offer to carpool taxi for the participants that require them during the days of the events.
- 1 Food and drink (at $30 per person)= $ 750
- 2 Transport = $ 390
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!