Please see the sample Meeting application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Socialize with community members, these include Wikimedians and other open access advocates.
- Recruit new editors by educating them through a workshop on how to use the Wikimedia tools for advancing the web data and contributing to wikimedia projects.
- Engage faculty members and draw their interest towards the advantages of an open access policy. We hope to have a minimum of five top faculty officers and other lecturers present in the meeting.
- Participants would build a local community where we would work on open science projects, discuss and share ideas
- Encourage open practices in regards to knowledge sharing amongst students, researchers and early career professionals.
- What is the purpose of the meeting and why is it important to your community?
- On the 26th of December, 2016, we held an OpenCon Satellite event, which was a huge success, as we had a population of over 300 students, early career professionals and researchers in attendance. Building on the success of the event, we hope to host a bigger and more action based Open data conference which would involve a large population of faculty members in the University of Lagos. Despite the fact that students are driving the change on campus, it is important for the faculty to be involved in the open movement as they are capable of implementing policies on campus that would advance open access in knowledge sharing. We therefore wish to bring together stakeholders and students to discuss challenges facing the adoption of open access policies and plan towards future projects. Participants would also learn (through workshops), methods of making research and statistical data open and reusable.
- If applicable, what benefits have you seen from doing this kind of meeting in the past?
- In the past we have hosted series of impact based events which includes the OpenCon 2016 Lagos conference in University of Lagos and Open Data Day event in Lagos State University where we were able to educate a large number of students on importance of open access and we build a local community of volunteers and advocates at each host university.
- How will you let participants know about the meeting?
- Through online and campus wide campaigns we can spread awareness to all students and open advocates. Also, I have spoken to a number of Professors and Deans within and outside the University of Lagos who are excited to be a part of this event.
- How will you keep participants engaged after the meeting is over?
- We would build a local community where we would collaborate and work on open projects, discuss and share ideas all year round. Also, we hope to make the event a yearly gathering where we would review our progress and measure our impact with respect to our collective goals.
- Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- It is an OpenCon Satellite event. OpenCon is a platform for the next generation to learn about Open Access, Open Education, and Open Data, develop critical skills, and catalyze action toward a more open system for sharing the world’s information—from scholarly and scientific research, to educational materials, to digital research data. We are also going to have a video coverage of the full event, and we will be publishing the workshop report openly in the Rio journal and on Wikimedia platforms.
Note: In addition to your project-specific measures of success, you will also be asked to report on some Global Metrics at the end of your final report. Please keep this in mind as you plan, and we'll support you as you begin your project.
- Number of total participants would be at least 300
- Number of people who will help organize the event: We already have 30 student volunteers from the University of Lagos who would take on various roles in making the event a success.
- Logistics (Including transport expenses of Speakers, trainers, organising team & decorations) N150,000
- Event Hall Fee N190,000
- Meal Expenses (over 400 attendees) N170,000
- Audio and Audio visuals N60,000
- Printing and Media N40,000