Grants:Project/Rapid/Obihoja/Nigerian Creative Women on Wikipedia Edit a thon
Please see the sample Editathon/Training application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Recruit new editors: This project is targeted at recruiting more female editors from different age and social background to work together.
- Increase skills for existing editors: The newly recruited editors will be mentored and work with experienced editors in the edit a thon. This will obviously enhance the still of all the participants.
- Add or improve content: The project's most important objective is to add new content and improve existing information on Nigerian female creators in English Wikipedia. These creators include fine artists, sculptors, writers, dancers etc.
- We will also create fora for sustained interaction amongst all the editors that participated in the project. This is to sustain the zeal of each participant to continue looking out for ways to improve information on our female creative geniuses in wikipedia. The fora will include the social media and physical neighbourhood interactions.
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. Are you doing one editathon or training or a series of editathons or trainings?
- We will carry out 5 Edit a thon
2. How will you let your community know about the event? Please paste links below to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions.
- I will contact editors and recruit new ones through personal contacts, phone calls, social media chats etc. I have already mentioned it to some people in and around my working place, my church and my social circle and many has indicated interest in participating.
3. Do you have experienced Wikimedia editors to lead the event?
- Yes I have. They include:
4. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them?
- Participants have laptops that is needed for this Edit a thon. They are also skilled in editing and have the necessary IT knowledge. The place to be rented for the edit a thon also has internet facility and a projector which will be used to teach new editors during the project.
5. How will you engage participants after the event(s)?
- We will create a whatsapp group so that we will continue to interact and encourage each other. Interaction through other social media platforms may also be agreed upon during the project. We have also planned neighbourhood meetings and social interactions to sustain the zeal of participants. We also intend to continue expanding the number of people within the network. I will further be meeting some of the participants in the Federal Secretariat where we work, as our offices are close to each other, while some of us will be meeting in churches and other social programmes.
6. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets:
- Number of events: 5
- Number of participants: 35
- Number of new editors: 12
- Number of of articles created or improved: 80
- Number of repeat participants (for projects that include a series of events): 20
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- The participants will come with their laptops. We also have experiences wikimedians including myself who will help in the organisation, planning and execution of the project.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- Hire of laptop = 4 X 5 X $20 events = $400
- Payment for data 15 X $26 = 390
- Entertainment = $167 x 5 events = $835
- Miscellaneous = $ 80
Total = 1,705 USD
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
- This project is a further travel down the line of what we wish to achieve with the people who visit the Wikipedia pages seeking the likes of the data we wish to work on during this project. The advantages of having this content in their skillfully edited can never be overemphasized. Ceslause (talk) 09:40, 10 January 2020 (UTC)
- i strongly endorse this proposal Kid Keen 47 (talk) 20:03, 10 January 2020 (UTC)
- i support this project as it will enable our Nigerian women to be more visible in wikipedia and help to reduce the genda imbalance that we are already facing Chuks Zilo (talk) 20:31, 10 January 2020 (UTC)
- Good initiative. I strongly endorse this proposal and support its cause. Ptinphusmia (talk) 10:04, 11 January 2020 (UTC)
- Strong support with clarification about "Entertainment." What is this funding? Typically, these grants fund, food & drinks, childcare, and travel for speakers, swag, internet, etc? Otherwise, I endorse on behalf of Art+Feminism --Siankevans (talk) 22:20, 14 January 2020 (UTC)