Grants:Project/Rapid/Nour Geres/ WikiProject Dentistry/Wikipedia Collaboration of Dental Schools
Please see the sample Travel application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Increase awareness of Wikimedia projects, in particular translation of dental pages as well as the dental Wikimedia Commons competition that will be launched in September with the support of Wikimedia UK
- Recruit new editors to Wikimedia Commons and new editors who will translate dental articles to Arabic and French
- Provide training to two editors from a Egypt to equip them with the knowledge and skills that will enable them to effectively lead a dental editing group in their own country
- Have the two editors share their expertise in translation and clinical image taking at our event in Dundee
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
Firstly, I would like to provide a background on our project to aid the reader in understanding our future plans and goals. In 2015, with the support of Cochrane, a dental editing group was formed by students at Dundee Dental School in Scotland, UK. The formation of the group was motivated by a desire to improve the very deficient dental articles on Wiki. After having established ourselves, we decided to expand the project to include other dental schools. In 2017 Glasgow, Aberdeen, Manchester dental schools (UK) as well as New York University (USA) and University of Dundee Cairo branch (Egypt) joined the initiative. We train committees (groups of students) at individual dental schools on use of evidence and editing Wikipedia. These committees then run the editing groups at their schools and feedback information to Dundee. In turn, I report on our progress to Wikimedia UK. It may interest you to view our Dashboard and a few articles on our work:    
In September 2018 several new dental schools will be joining the Collaboration including Barts and the London School of Dentistry, Sheffield, Queens University Belfast (UK), and International Medical University (Malaysia). The Dental School at the University of Toronto (Canada) may potentially be incorporating Wiki into their curriculum through the WikiEducation Foundation but a final decision has not been reached regarding their participation.
Since early 2017, I have been training Egyptian User:Shaimaa Abellatif to use high quality evidence to edit English Wikipedia and then to translate articles into Arabic and French. As you may be aware, clinical dental images are also lacking on Wikimedia Commons. For the past few months I have been working with User:AmirAttallah and training him to upload his valuable high quality images.
So over the past years, we have been effectively expanding our project throughout the world to further our goal of making evidence based dental information available on Wikipedia in as many languages as possible. We hope to also improve dental image content on Wikimedia Commons over the coming year. I am applying for funding to further expand our efforts by training our Egyptian editors to start a group in Egypt to translate articles from English to Arabic and French and to also contribute clinical images. While in the UK attending the Colloquium, it will be an excellent opportunity for them to contribute to our annual Dundee Wikipedia event.
1. What is the purpose of the event you're attending and why is it important that you attend?
- It is important for our two editors to attend the Cochrane Colloquium in order for them to gain a broader understanding of research evidence and its utilization in providing optimal patient care. This understanding is vital to the leadership roles they will undertake in forming a dental editing group upon their return to Egypt.
Furthermore, it is important that they attend our third annual Dundee Wikipedia event in order for User:AmitAttallah to launch our Wikimedia Commons clinical image initiative and for User:Shaimaa Abdellatif to raise awareness of the translation aspect of our project.
2. Will you be presenting at the event? They may be presenting during the special session at the Colloquium alongside Dr. Jennifer Dawson, however this has not been confirmed yet.
At the Dundee event, User:Shaimaa Abedellatif will present about her experience translating. User:AmirAttallah will run a workshop on dental image taking/editing. He will also be responsible for announcing the launch of the dental image competition on Wikimedia Commons (supported by Wikimedia UK).
3. What kind of outreach activity do you plan to do?
Upon their return to Egypt our two editors will lead a group of bi/tri-lingual dental editors. With my support, they will train the group in utilization of research publications, editing Wikipedia in English and then creating Arabic and French versions of those articles. The group will also be receiving training on clinical image taking and the upload of these images onto Wikimedia Commons and their application onto articles.
4. How will you let other participants know about your outreach activity?
- We intend on circulating an information poster through our Wiki Collaboration Facebook page as well as through dentists we are in contact with in Egypt. We will spread the word about the dental Wiki Commons competition through e-mail to the Collaboration schools (who will advertise it through posters at their dentals schools and hospitals) and through our Facebook group. Wikimedia UK will also assist in advertising the competition.
5. Do you have a specific networking plan? (e.g. specific people, organizations, groups you would like to develop partnerships with)
- We aim to use this opportunity to consolidate the various aspects of our project. This will take place especially in Dundee, the center of organization for our initiative. In addition to this, many Wikipedians from all across the world will be present at the Cochrane Colloquium which will provide an excellent opportunity for networking.
6. What is your plan to follow-up with new contacts?
- As I mentioned briefly above, as a Collaboration we have a system for communication set in place. Depending on who the new contact is, we ensure follow-up with anyone who expresses an interest in our work. Our correspondences usually take place over e-mails and video conference calls.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets as applicable:
- Number of presentation attendees:The Cochrane Colloquium will be attended by up to 1200 people. The Dundee event has historically been attended by 50 people.
- Number of new potential partners: 1 and potentially more
- Number of outreach activity participants: For the first few months we intend on training approximately 25 participants in Egypt. For the image competition we hope at least one third of our Collaboration editors will participate. Last year we had 127 editors. We expect to have a minimum of 200 editors this coming year.
- Number of new editors: As mentioned above, we aim to recruit at least one third of our Collaboration members to start uploading images onto Commons. We will train approximately 25 participants in Egypt.
- Number of of articles created or improved: Numerous images will be uploaded onto Commons which can be applied onto Wikipedia articles. As we start up the group in Egypt, each editor will contribute to a minimum of one article per month by translating to French and Arabic. As the editors become more proficient, the pace at which they edit usually increases.
What resources do you have? Include in-kind donations or additional funding.
- Wikimedia UK is contributing a total of 500 GBP (250 GBP per person) towards the cost of this trip and they have asked us to seek further funding elsewhere as covering the entire trip would exceed their budget. Agnes Bruszik (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Daria Cybulska (email@example.com) are overlooking this.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- Cost per person:
Plane ticket- 420 GBP Registration for Cochrane Colloquium- 450 GBP Accomodation for 3-4 nights- approximately 350 pounds
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
- Sphenoid15 (talk) 11:37, 8 July 2018 (UTC)
- Daria Cybulska (WMUK) (talk) 09:24, 9 July 2018 (UTC)
- Agnes Bruszik (WMUK) (talk) 08:12, 11 July 2018 (UTC)
- it would be greatly helpful in expanding such wonderful project and making wikipedia a much more reliable source of information for the knowledge seekers Gingerprince95 (talk) 18:34, 9 July 2018 (UTC)
- These two guests will be able to give input and suggestions on how to improve our events and society as a whole. It's always refreshing hearing suggestions with like-minded people about improving the dentistry based research on mediums such as Wikipedia. Laurieeepop (talk) 03:22, 10 July 2018 (UTC)
- Let's work together to use everyone's knowledge and skills to develop and update Wikipedia articles Little penguin meow (talk) 23:04, 10 July 2018 (UTC)