I apply for a grant to participate the Sharing is caring -conference 19.-21.11.2017 in Aarhus. My taking part in the Sharing is caring conference aims to learn how to bring Akseli Gallen-Kallela's catalogue raisonné succesfully with GLAMs in Wikidata, Wikimedia Commons and Wikipedia. My aim is to learn in order to create a larger Wikimedia project. My activity improves Wikidata and Wikimedia Commons, together with Wikipedia. In the conference I learn how to make a successful plan involving many GLAMs in the same project by sharing experiences with Wikimedia and GLAm people. After the conference I make a sample of Gallen-Kallela's catalogue raisonné in Wikidata and create a plan for whole his art to become Wikidata objects. This would involve and encourage many Finnish GLAMs to upload their images and artwork information into Wikimedia Commons and Wikidata. I help organize volunteer workshops where the register is created and updated, and articles about the artworks written in Wikipedia. I have been working with numerous Wikimedia projects both in my work as the collections manager in the Gallen-Kallela Museum and as the GLAM responsible of Wikimedia Finland board. This project, however, is not a project created by either the museum or organized by Wikimedia Finland, thus it is not included in their budgets. Both the institutions are willing to help, when this project is realized. We have a nice group of volunteers to complete the activities. This project will also engage people outside the Wikimedia community to become active community members.
I will travel and take part in the Sharing is caring conference, discuss possibilities of Wikimedia products in OpenGLAM and create a project plan for the artist Akseli Gallen-Kallela's catalogue raisonne in Wikimedia.
The results of the workshops in Sharing is caring -conference, the experiments on cataloguing after the conference and the plan for catalogue raisonné will be realized together with the Gallen-Kallela Museum and Wikimedia Suomi. The future project will involve many communities and GLAMs.
In the end of the 2 month period I have taken part in the conference, made a sample cataloguing in the Wikidata and created a plan for the whole catalogue raisonné project.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more specific to your project:
- Number of total participants 10
- Number of articles created or improved (if applicable)
- Number of photos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons (if applicable)
- Number of photos used on Wikimedia projects (if applicable)
What resources do you have? Include information on who is the organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding). http://sharecare.nu/aarhus-2017/programme/
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense:
- Conference fee 270€
- Flight tickets Helsinki – København 98,30€
- Bus tickets København – Aarhus 44,00€
- Hotel stay 4 nights / Cabinn Aarhus 403,00€
- I think Minna would be important participant in this event. It would help her in the implementation of Akseli Gallen-Kallela project later in Finland. Teromakotero (talk) 21:32, 7 November 2017 (UTC)
- Akseli Gallen-Kallela is sometimes called Finland´s national artist. His oeuvre includes paintings, graphics, heraldry, arts and crafts etc. Idea of creating catalogue raisonné, which has not been done, a comprehensive list of his works using Wikidata as basis is recommendable, because it provides a basis that can be shared by anyone. Minna is expert in Gallen-Kallela oeuvre and this project would be congenial with Finnish Wikimedia programs. --Kulttuurinavigaattori (talk) 09:41, 8 November 2017 (UTC)
- Minna Turtiainen's participation would enable the Gallen-Kallela Museum to proceed with this pioneering project and help sharing important and highly interesting information world wide. Minna Turtiainen is highly skilled museum professional and capable in developing digital catalogue raisonné.