Please see the sample Editathon/Training application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Recruit new editors
- Increase skills for existing editors
- Add or improve citation content in Wikipedia articles
- Promote the use of Wikipedia as a tool for librarians.
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. Are you doing one editathon or training or a series of editathons or trainings?
- We will be having two separate editathons in Federal University of Agriculture Abeokuta (FUNAAB), Ogun state and also at the University of Lagos (UNILAG), Lagos state. For FUNAAB the location will be the Nimbe Adedipe Library which will be held on January 22 and UNILAG session will be held at University of Lagos Library on January 29.
2. How will you let your community know about the event? Please paste links below to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions.
- The project will be announced to Wikimedia User Group Nigeria mailing list, social media and each library will also post about the events in their social media handles.
3. Do you have experienced Wikimedia editors to lead the event?
- Yes, i personally have the required experience as i have led various editathons around Nigeria and also a member of the steering committee for the Wikimedia and Libraries User Group. Also will be assisted by other Nigerian experienced editors which include Olaniyan olushola, Mahveotm.
4. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them?
- The event will be held at the school library which has rows of computer stations, electricity and internet. Many of the participants will be librarians but though computer handling skills might vary, but we expect all participants to have at least basic computer knowledge. We will be using the Citation Hunt tool to make it easier to find citations and we will also provide a cheatsheet they can use when unsure.
5. How will you engage participants after the event(s)?
- We will create a whatsapp group after the event where we keep up with updates and followup. Also we will send a post event questionnaire to get their needs.
6. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets:
- Number of events: 2
- Number of participants: 100 (50 per event)
- Number of new editors: 60 (60%)
- Number of of articles created or improved: 200 (two per participant)
- Number of repeat participants (for projects that include a series of events): 10
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- Kaizenify; Project lead and experienced editor.
- Olaniyan Olushola, Project facilitator and President of Wikimedia User Group Nigeria
- Mahveotm, facilitator and experienced Wikimedian
- Two libranians as organizaing host from each school
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
This is the budget breakdown for the Project
|Sl.No||Item||Quantity||Rate (NGN)||Total (NGN)||Rate (USD)||Total (USD)||Notes|
|Total Cost of campaign|
(Sumtotal :NGN523523.75 (USD 1719.75 ))
|1||Roll-up or retractable banners||1||30000||30000||98.36||98.36||This would cover the cost of Roll-up or retractable banners at the venue of the session and can be also be use for every other 1lib1ref programs in Nigeria.|
|2||Participant packs (folder, Wrist bands, pen, wiki cheatsheet, stickers)||100||900||90000||2.95||295.08||This is the cost of the folder packs which will serve as a guide for participants and also as an aid to participation.|
|3||Customized shirts||5||3000||15000||9.83||49.18||This is a high quality material and would be strictly for facilitators and the a leader of each library.|
|4||Local transport for facilitators travelling||2||20000||40000||65.57||131.14||This would cover the cost or transportation of the campaign coordinators|
|5||Foods and drinks||105||2500||2625000||8.19||860.65||This is the cost of food for participants and coordinators|
|6||Online digital banner and media coverage||1||50000||50000||136.98||136.98||This budget is design to take care of expenses on the designing online banners and photography coverage.|
|7||Customized ilibiref Pillow as gift||2||15000||30000||49.18||98.36||This would be the price for the best partpants at each library using the citation hunts ladder.|
|8||Contingency||1||15250||15250||50||50||This is for unforeseen expenses|
|Grand Total: Sumtotal :NGN523523.75 (USD 1719.75)|
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
- I strongly support this grant proposal. FUNAAB, the library mentioned in this proposal, is our "sister library". Last year, after Kaizenify and others on his team learned that we were hosting an editathon at our library in the US, and that we have a "sister library" in FUNAAB, they quickly coordinated a two day workshop for librarians at FUNAAB. I was so impressed! And the library director reached out to tell us that it was a wonderful success and she hoped to work with Wikimedia and her staff in the future. I have no doubt these events will continue to cultivate long-term and prosperous relationships between librarians and Wikimedia in Nigeria. Bridges2Information (talk) 00:53, 3 December 2019 (UTC)