Grants:Project/Rapid/Gilbert Ndihokubwayo/Africa Wiki Challenge 2022 in Burundi
Please see the sample Contest application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Add or improve content for Burundi culture through the AWC contest
- Recruit new editors
- Engage existing editors
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. What content will the contest focus on, and why is it important to your community?
- Africa Wiki Challenge contest will focus on generating African-related content on Wikipedia (fr.wikipedia.org and rn.wikipedia.org). The contest is important to the community of Burundi, because it will help to engage and recruite editors to contribute to Wikipedia, as Burundi is lack of editors.
2. How have you let relevant Wikimedia communities know about this proposal? You are required to provide links to on-wiki pages to inform these communities about your proposed work. Examples of places where this can be done include community discussion pages, affiliate discussion pages, or relevant project talk pages.
You may also provide information about external social media channels you may be using.
- In order to let relevant Wikimedia communities know about this proposal, we use the channels https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Planning_Wikimedia_Community_User_Group_Burundi and https://lists.wikimedia.org/postorius/lists/african-wikimedians.lists.wikimedia.org/
3. How will you let participants know about the contest? In what ways will you be communicating with them?
For example, these can include on-wiki spaces, social media channels, mailing lists, messaging apps, or physical/online gatherings.
- We will let participants know about this contest by reaching them through the internal mailing list, our Whatsapp group and Telegram, and also our metapage to communicate and let people know about the contest.
4. How will you judge the contest and award prizes?
Note: Grantees, judges, and other contest leaders are ineligible to receive prizes. Grantees who are serving as judges may not receive gifts through grant funding.
- We will set up a team of jury to judge the contest and award prizes.
5. For photo contests, what is the strategy to get images used on projects?
- We will hold sessions of "Editathons" where we will train participants on how to add photos on Wikimedia Commons, how to re-use uploaded photos to illustrate and improve existing articles on Wikipedia or to create new articles. We will also organize a photowalk to shoot pictures and upload them on Wikimedia Commons.
6. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- The contest Africa Wiki Challenge 2022 in Burundi will be beneficial for our Community to engage members in editing and article creation.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more:
For photo contests:
- Number of participants
- Number of photos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons: 15
- Number of photos used on Wikimedia projects
For writing contests:
- Number of participants: 15 - 20
- Number of articles created or improved: 30 - 35
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- Project Team members:
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
|Communication & Promotion||1 x $150 = $150||We will use of social media platforms (WhatsApp, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter) for advertising the contest with the purpose of reaching out many people.|
|Venue||3 x $100 = $300||This will carter for venue to the participants for three sessions days of the event.|
|Breakfast & Lunch||3 sessions||20 x $12(3) = $720||This will carter for Breakfast and lunch for 20 participants for the 3 days.|
|T-shirts||20 x $12 = $240||This will carter for AWC t-shirts to the participants.|
|Facemasks and hand sanitizer||1||$40||This will carter for facemasks and hand sanitizer to the participants.|
|Internet costs||3 sessions||3 x $100 = $300||This will cover the editing sessions.|
|Transport costs||20 participants||20 x $15 = $300||This will cover transport fares to the participants from different parts to the event venue.|
|Equipment rent||6 laptops||$290||Laptops will be rented for 3 days for participants who are not in possession of computers.|
|Unforeseen cost||$50||Unforeseen expenses.|
|Bank charges||$52||Bank charges|
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!