Please see the sample Contest application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Increase the number of freely licensed photographs of protected cultural monuments in Kosovo;
- Create new articles about protected cultural monuments of Kosovo;
- Improve the quality of content on Wikimedia projects by securing topical images;
- Illustrate already exiting articles about protected cultural monuments in Albanian language Wikipedia;
- Encourage active participation of photographers in Wikimedia projects;
- Promote the donated content through social media and other channels;
- Raise the awareness of the cultural monuments of Kosovo through the photographs uploaded during the competition;
- Promote Wikimedia projects to the photographesr and monuments protection community;
- Engage publicly funded institutions related to cultural monuments in Kosovo with Wikimedia projects.
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. What content will the contest focus on, and why is it important to your community? The contest will focus on pictures with the subject of protected cultural monuments. Institute for the Protection of Monuments of Kosovo has made available a list of protected monuments. The list includes some 1,400 different protected items/sites. Since this is the third time the competition is being held, some of the photos considered well covered will be removed from eligible list for prizes.
2. How will you let people know about the contest? Several promotion channels will be used. We will engage the press and electronic media 2. Promote in the Albanian language community's Facebook (sq.wikipedia.org, Twitter (sqwikipedia) and Flickr communities. We also have a mailing list of some 100 people who have shown interest in photography events before.
3. How will you judge the contest and award prizes? Jury will consist of a mixed team of Wikipedians, monuments specialists and photographers and photos will be judged on technical accomplishment, educational value and originality.
4. For photo contests, what is the strategy to get images used on projects? An editathon weekend will be organized in November for this task in Prishtina. The goal of this editathon is twofold, to create articles and use the photos gathered in this and previous rounds of WLM and coalesce the community of Wikipedians by gathering them from Albanian speaking populations in South East Europe. The articles will be made available to Ministry of Education and textbook authors to highlight cultural heritage with the aim of preservation.
5. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project? We have already run a small experiment with the Writing Week\Cultural Monuments creating 31 articles on the way. This can be expanded further and the Institute for the Protection of Monuments of Kosovo will support us in this task by making available source materials.
Timeline of activities:
- Update all pages with the necessary information about the project;
- Promote competitions through the use of social networks, blogs, mailing lists of related communities and local and national media;
- Competition phase;
- Constitute competition jury;
- Evaluate photographs uploaded by the selected jury and determine winners;
- Submit best local photographs for participation in the global WLM competition;
- Organize award ceremonies for the winners of the competition;
- Articles editathon and photo placement;
- Project evaluation and project report.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more:
- At least 50 participants upload one photograph or more;
- At least 600 photographs uploaded and kept after review;
- At least 20 new articles about cultural monuments in Albanian Wikipedia and other Wikipedia languages, and in other Wikimedia projects (Commons, Wikivoyage);
- At least 70 already existing articles illustrated with the collected photos.
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
FLOSSK is a community organization promoting free/libre open source software in Kosovo since 2009. It and its members have co-organized two large Wikipedia editathons in Kosovo and two editions of Wiki Loves Monuments.
This event will be organized as part of a series of activities for the protection of monuments and hence will benefit from the sharing of some costs, such as the prizes ceremony. The editathon will be organized at FLOSSK's Prishtina Hackerspace hence saving on venue costs.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
The following budget is planned to carry out the activity.
|Prizes for best photographs and contributors||300|
|Certificates for the awarded photographers and jury members||30|
|3 photo tours (transport, food)||300|
|Monuments articles editathon weekend (travel, hostel, food)||300|
|Printing 10 best pictures in large format and framing, small format for winners||150|
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!