Please see the sample Contest application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Increase the number of freely licensed photographs of natural heritage sites in Kosovo;
- Create new articles about natural heritage sites of Kosovo;
- Improve the quality of content on Wikimedia projects by securing topical images;
- Illustrate already exiting articles about natural heritage sites in Albanian language Wikipedia;
- Encourage active participation of photographers in the competition;
- Promote the donated content through social media and other channels;
- Raise the awareness of the natural heritage of Kosovo through the photographs uploaded during the competition;
- Promote Wikimedia projects to the photographer and nature preservation community;
- Engage publicly funded institutions related to natural heritage sites in Kosovo with Wikimedia projects.
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. What content will the contest focus on, and why is it important to your community?
The contest will focus on pictures with the subject natural heritage (protected areas). Institute for the Protection of Monuments of Kosovo has made available a list of protected natural monuments online. The list includes some 100 different protected items/sites, including two national parks. Since this is the first time that Kosovo is participating, photos covering the whole list will be eligible for prizes.
2. How will you let people know about the contest?
Several promotion channels are being used. We have already sent press releases to media getting published in some of them such as Telegrafi.com, Koha.net and Koha Ditore daily and TV21 portal (also 1, 2, 3). We have also made a showing in TV RTK1 morning show and Radio Kosova 2. Furthermore, we will be promoting in Facebook (sq.wikipedia.org, Twitter (sqwikipedia) and Flickr communities. We also have a mailing list of some 100 people who have shown interest in photography events before.
3. How will you judge the contest and award prizes?
Jury will consist of a mixed team of Wikipedians, naturalists and photographers and photos will be judged on technical accomplishment, educational value and originality.
4. For photo contests, what is the strategy to get images used on projects?
Wikipedians of Albanian Language User Group will be working on this task. Our goal is to create articles on all the natural monuments we have information. We are still working in securing as many sources as possible. For most of the natural protected areas of Kosovo there is no article in any language of Wikipedia, and we have already started to write articles for those areas in which we will also put contest photos.
5. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
Timeline of activities:
- Update all pages with the necessary information about the project;
- Promote competitions through the use of social networks, blogs, mailing lists of related communities and local and national media;
- Competition phase;
- Constitute competition jury;
- Evaluate photographs uploaded by the selected jury and determine winners;
- Submit best local photographs for participation in the global WLE competition;
- Organize award ceremonies for the winners of the competition;
- Editathon for content use;
- Project evaluation and project report.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more:
- At least 30 participants upload one photograph or more;
- At least 500 photographs uploaded and kept after review;
- At least 20 new articles about natural heritage sites in Albanian Wikipedia and other Wikipedia languages, and in other Wikimedia projects (Commons, Wikivoyage);
- At least 70 already existing articles illustrated with the collected photos.
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
FLOSSK is a community organization promoting free/libre open source software in Kosovo since 2009. It and its members have co-organized two large Wikipedia editathons in Kosovo and two editions of Wiki Loves Monuments.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
The following budget is planned to carry out the activity.
|Web domain registration for 3 years||36|
|Prizes for the best photographs and best contributors||400|
|Certificates for the awarded photographers and jury members||20|
|Traveling expenses for promotion||100|
|Printing 10 best pictures and framing||150|
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!
- A great event that I'm sure will attract some new contributors and will help to illustrate Wikipedia (especially Albanian Wikipedia) Olsi (talk) 18:48, 26 May 2016 (UTC)