Please see the sample Contest application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Add or improve content
- Increasing number of freely licensed images of preserved areas and natural monuments in Malaysia;
- Recruiting new contributors to Wikimedia Commons
- Introduce local community to available resources from WMF
- Create awareness on the love of nature among Wikimedia project volunteers in Malaysia and the local community
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. What content will the contest focus on, and why is it important to your community?
- The contest will focus on pictures of natural protected areas and natural monuments in Malaysia. We have published a complete list of protected areas based on official lists by state agency in the contest site and Wikimedia project's sites.
2. How will you let people know about the contest?
- The most important way to advertise the contest will be central notice banner arranged by the international team.
- Posting announcements in local photo and tourism related forums and sites.
- Press release announcing the competition just some days before the starting date
- Collaboration with other non-governmental organization that have non-profit status
- Communication through our social media accounts (Instagram, Facebook) which have limited reach.
3. How will you judge the contest and award prizes?
- The jury will consist of 4-5 people from various background which are expertes in photography and nature protection, as well as a wikimedian. We will be using Montage for jury tool that provide easier handling in judging photos.
4. For photo contests, what is the strategy to get images used on projects?
- The lists of objects contain links to already existing articles on the topic. The community will be encouraged to create articles about the missing topics (we will also run a small article contest). Social media will be used to promote quality images without an article on the topic.
5. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- The project will go on even if not funded. We have already prepared all information pages for the contest and posted first announcements. We already have agreed with people from NGOs to promote contest and participate in the jury work.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more:
For photo contests:
- Number of participants
- Number of photos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons
- Number of photos used on Wikimedia projects
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- Human resources
- Members of UG MYS
- Individual wikimedians
- Professional and amateur photographers that helped as during the previous contests
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
|Number||Category||Item description||Unit||Number of units||Cost per unit||Total cost||Currency||Notes|
|1||Prizes||Gift cards for the best photographs and best contributors||N/A||11||N/A||1125.00||MYR||Gift cards will be awarded to the three best photographs (1st prize: MYR400.00, 2nd prize: MYR200.00, 3rd prize: MYR100.00. 4th - 10th prize: MYR50, Most submission with good quality: MYR75|
|2||Additional prizes for top 10 participants and juries||photos with the logo and the awarded photographs||15||15||20.00||300.00||MYR||Top ten winners and juries will be awarded a mini album (in polaroid) of their photo with the official logo of the competition.|
|3||Fees, delivery, etc||Postage fees to 10 winners and 5 juries||N/A||15||20.00||300.00||MYR||payments to the shipping agents for deliveries (prizes and other).|
|4||Gifts for NGO (presented by juries) involves||Plaque||5||5||40.00||200.00||MYR||Plaque of appreciations will be given to NGOs that joined as jury of this contest.|
|5||Printed books about Wikimedia Projects||There will be compilations of printed info of Wikimedia Projects and basic tutorials to participate||N/A||8||45.00||360.00||MYR||The books will be prepared by WCUG Malaysia which consists of summarization of Wikimedia Projects|
|6||Social media and offline promotions||Instagram, Facebook, Brochures||N/A||N/A||N/A||200.00||MYR||The fund will be use to pay ads in social media such as Instagram and Facebook; Offline promotions include making of and distributing brochures to public as soon as Restriction of Movement Order ends. We are really care about safety of our members.)|
Total cost: 2485 Malaysian Ringgit (USD570.29 on April 27th, 2020)
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!