Please see the sample Travel application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Increase awareness of Wikimedia projects
- Recruit new editors
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. What is the purpose of the event you're attending and why is it important that you attend?
- The 2018 African Summit on Women and Girls in Technology is the biggest gathering of women across diverse fields. The Summit will connect internet and women’s rights advocates, digital media and gender policy experts with broadband policy leaders, and leading and aspiring women technologists and innovators in Africa, creating a platform for participants to gain a clear understanding of key technology policy issues that affect African women and giving them a forum to contribute to ongoing processes to shape ICT policy, practice and investment on the continent. We believe the Summit is a great venue to build awareness around Wikipedia and Wikimedia projects to a key demographic for our movement - African women - and It would be a great place to recruit new editors and meet potential partners.
2. Will you be presenting at the event?
- Yes, I would be leading an edit-a-thon workshop in English.
3. What kind of outreach activity do you plan to do?
- Prior to the conference, I will be reaching out to participants through conference communication outlet to let them know of the edit-a-thon. We are working closely with the organizers, the Web Foundation, to ensure the Wikipedia edit-a-thon and workshop is effectively communicated to participants in advance.
4. How will you let other participants know about your outreach activity?
- I will be letting people know at the end of the edit-a-thon how they can get involved with Wikimedia projects starting with a mailing list.
5. Do you have a specific networking plan? (e.g. specific people, organizations, groups you would like to develop partnerships with)
- I will have a sign-up sheet at the session to gather contact information and follow-up with participants. I also plan to attend the pre-summit meet and greet so I can start networking with summit attendees before formal sessions start. I intend to use the pre-Summit meetings and the Summit to raise awareness of Wikipedia and the Movement and encourage participants to use Wikipedia to access knowledge and encourage those who are interested in sharing their unique knowledge to attend the edit-a-thon workshop so they can learn how to contribute to Wikipedia. I also intend to make impactful connections with women technologists, innovators, and digital media and gender experts to learn about their work, and discuss areas for future collaboration.
6. What is your plan to follow-up with new contacts?
- Based on the interest I will think about a follow-up in person meeting with interested parties. I plan to reach out to the contacts I make to continue discussions on areas for collaboration and/or elaborate on ideas discussed for projects or activities with the Ghanaian and/or Cote D’Ivoirian Wikimedians. If there is a Summit mailing list, I plan to join it to continue to engage on this community.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets as applicable:
- Number of presentation attendees: 20 or more attendees
- Number of new potential partners: 2 or more partners
- Number of outreach activity participants:
- Number of new editors: Introduce 20 participants to Wikipedia and train them on how to edit Wikipedia
- Number of of articles created or improved: Create 5 new articles and improve 10 new articles
What resources do you have? Include in-kind donations or additional funding.
- I have been a Wikimedian since 2015 and have lead more than 4 edit-a-thons in Ghana.
- Harriet Bayel – Harriet has been a Wikimedian since 2016 has assisted in the facilitation of a considerable number of edit-a-thons
- Colette - Colette is also an Experienced Wikimedian who will be facilitating the Edit-a-thon in French for the many French participants who will be present.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
Expense $USD Notes Transportation $100 From home to venue for three days Miscellaneous supplies $110 Printing worksheets, Wikimedia pins and stickers. feeding $150 This amount covers my meals during the three days of the summit Total $360 It’s the total amount in Dollar.
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!