Grants:Project/Rapid/Anass Sedrati/French Interpretation Regional Committees
- Encourage community participation by ensuring the inclusion of the French speaking Wikimedians in the English and Spanish speaking meetings
- Disseminate information about Community resources to the French speaking community
- Enable the French speaking wikimedians to follow the live events/workshops in their language
- Enhance diversity within the grant regional committees who have members speaking different languages
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. What will you and other organizers spend your time doing?
- The project regards French to English and English/Spanish to French live interpretation during a number of sessions that were organized for Grant regional committees, as well as coordination and preparation activities related to it, and translation of documents. The seven workshops in question were four global and three regional (Latin America and the Caribbean).
How will you let others in your community know about your project (please provide links to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions)? Why are you targeting a specific audience?
- The event organizers were responsible for the communication and to inform participants of the availability of French/English interpretation.
What will you have done at the end of your project? How will you follow-up with people that are involved with your project?
- This activity (live interpretation) was carried out during the sessions themselves. The documents were all translated.
Are you running any in-person events or activities? If so, you will need to complete the steps outlined on the Risk Assessment protocol related to COVID-19. When you have completed these steps, please provide a link to your completed copy of the risk assessment tool below:
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more specific to your project:
- More French speaking Wikimedians will be interested to participate/take part in regional committees when knowing that interpretation is available in their language, and that they can be included in these activities.
What resources do you have? Include information on who is the organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- The only support for this work will be the current grant application.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense:
The budget was calculated in effective number of worked hours times a fixed rate of 250 SEK/hour (average price for a similar role)
- Interpretation: 15 hours * 250 = 3750 SEK (~ 435 USD)
- Effective hours of live interpretation
- Communication: 4.5 hours * 250 = 1125 SEK (~ 130 USD)
- Emails, Telegram, Administration, internal coordination
- Written Document Translation: 22.5 hours * 250 = 5625 SEK (~ 652 USD)
- Slides/pre-session text translation: 15 hours
- Application form in Arabic: 4 hours
- Application form in French: 3.5 hours
- Preparation Meetings: 3.5 hours * 250 = 875 SEK (~ 102 USD)
- Weekly coordination meetings with the team (on Wednesdays)
- Specific Lexicon/vocabulary preparation: 1.5 hours * 250 = 375 SEK (~44 USD)
- Grant Application - 375 SEK (~ 44 USD)
- Grant preparation - update - follow-up - Emails: 90 min
- Transfer fee - 50 SEK (~ 6 USD)
- A fee that is taken by the bank on amounts received from outside EU.
TOTAL: 12175 SEK (~ 1412 USD)
The detailed breakdown of activity per session can be found at this spreadsheet.