Briefly explain what are you trying to accomplish with this project, or what do you expect will change as a result of this grant. Example goals include, "recruit new editors", "add high quality content", or "train existing editors on a specific skill".
- The project is to self-empower individuals through a rapid qEEG scan to help educate about brain health. Encourage individuals to seek and contribute on mobile Wikipedia application. They will see their brain scan in relations to others that participates. Bringing more awareness and support while closing knowledge gaps in grassroot and rural environment on biosensing and neurofeedback tools.
◦ Educate about brain health and technology for public health tech. ◦ Onboard more Wiki readers and editors from Hawaii. ◦ Initiate more cross-talk among communities through the exploration of Brain-Computer Interface (BCI) use to promote wellness and mental health stigmas.
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. What will you and other organizers spend your time doing?
- The project is to look at a population of brain health in Hawaii through qEEG visualization. The goal is to connect technologists in hacker and makerspaces to provide public health alternative approaches. The access to neurofeedback and biosensing technology can empower individuals with more awareness to their habits. Exploring open data on qEEG assessment as a community possibly could provide a better picture of the neurological attributes. Hawaii is undergoing changes through approaches to innovation in a rural and indigenous grassroot environment with knowledge gaps.
This project will challenge stigma and the perception of mental health, it is needed during these changing times.
May 10 As soon as project approves. Start SWAG Material Device setup the developmenting environment and educational material preparation
◦ Use an open source brain interface to start the discussion on access between public health and various shelters building indivdidual’s understanding of wellness. Situate at Oahu Makerspace and work with founder Ross Mukai. ⁃ Ultracortex “Mark IV” EEG Headset ⁃ https://shop.openbci.com/collections/frontpage/products/ultracortex-mark-iv?variant=23280741699 ◦ Work with Hawaii Pacific Neuroscience on educational material. Onboard more contributions in Wikipedia. ◦ The virtual brain is a great example on neuroinformatics. However it might be too overwhelming for non-technical readers. Therefore, Wikipedia provides an approacheable space to readers that wants to learn about the lastest findings applicable to them. http://www.thevirtualbrain.org/tvb/zwei ◦ Work out the data conversion through other’s neuroinformatics and neurotech initiatives on Wikipedia. Brede Wiki http://neuro.imm.dtu.dk/wiki/Main_Page ◦ Participate B4a1n.io and meet Christoph Guger of Brain Computer Interface BCI research and related activities. Christoph Guger will workshop the latest BCI development between software and hardware use. Acquire assistance for this project #AkamaiBr41nio
◦ Update educational material and development project after meeting Christoph Guger. ⁃ Respecting invididuals privacy, QR code each rapid qEEG assessment of individuals ontp Wiki Clouldservice. ⁃ Develop API and plug-ins for wikipedia to interface a visualization for qEEG. ⁃ Wikidata, Wikimedia Commons, Wikitech and Wikimedia Cloud Services
SWAG Material Ready for Outreach May 25
◦ Educate and Outreach onboard with Wikipedia app ⁃ Public Health agencies ⁃ Information Technology communities ⁃ Community Colleges ◦ Contribute documentations on #Akamai Br41n.io on Wikipedia ◦ Curate and communicate with onboard users from #Akamai Ba41n.io
◦ Honolulu Br41n.io ⁃ http://www.br41n.io/Honolulu-2018 ⁃ Participate ⁃ Documentation with 360 camera
July 25 Final Edit
How will you let others in your community know about your project (please provide links to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions)? Why are you targeting a specific audience?
- Subject to change on outreach duration for public health tech on brain health in grassroot environment.
Oahu Makerspace HICapacity Hawaii Technology Development Corporation Outreaching to public health agencies
◦ Mental Health America of Hawaii ◦ Agencies of the State Shelter Program ◦ Catholic Charities Hawai’i ◦ Hawaii Island Home for Recovery ◦ Family Life Center ◦ Family Promise of Hawaii ◦ Gregory House Programs ◦ Hale Kipa ◦ Waikiki Health Center ◦ Holomua Na Ohana ⁃ Onemalu Shelter (Transitional, Singles & Families) ⁃ Weinberg Village Waimanalo (Transitional, Families) ◦ Unofficial Hawaii Epilepsy Foundation (closed) ◦ Honolulu Community Action Program ⁃ Kumuhonua (Transitional, Singles & Families) ◦ Housing Solutions ⁃ Kulaokahua Shelter (Transitional, Elderly) ⁃ Loliana Shelter (Transitional, Families) ⁃ Nakolea Shelter (Transitional, Working Singles) ⁃ Vancouver House Shelter (Transitional, Students) ◦ Institute for Human Services ⁃ Ka’aahi Street Shelter (Emergency, Women & Children) ⁃ Summer Street Shelter (Emergency, Men) ◦ Kahikolu Ohana Hale O Waianae ⁃ KOHOW (Transitional, Singles & Families)
What will you have done at the end of your project? How will you follow-up with people that are involved with your project?
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets and feel free to add more specific to your project:
Document with a Samsung360 camera. - Upload audio visual documentation per meet up to Wikimedia commons. QEEG scans uploads to Wikidata. Create and/or improve articles on Wikipedia.
What resources do you have? Include information on who is the organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- Meetup venues for outreach
Promote Makerspaces (Work trade) Oahu Hacker / Makerspace
◦ Oahu Makerspace ◦ HIcapacity.org
Media outlets Collaboration with other communities and organizations (Subject to change as more are added during outreach)
Hawaii Public Radio - Bytemarks Café Hawaii Open Data - Burt Lum Hawaii Women in Filmmaking Olelo Community Media
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense:
Travel Cost $1000
◦ May 19-21 Honolulu to Ansilomar ⁃ Honolulu to Monterey, CA | Roundtrip $800-$900 airfare ◦ Meet Christoph Guger from G.tec ◦ Meeting community stakeholders
Donate a OpenBCI
◦ Purchase of Oahu Makerspace to encourage communities to come to them. ◦ Print it yourself @ $449.99 —> $508.00 to Hawaii ◦ https://shop.openbci.com/collections/frontpage/products/ultracortex-mark-iv?variant=23280741955
Aloha Culture is about sharing food. $200
◦ Food and refreshments either at venues ◦ Coffee Meetups
SWAGs and Educational print material $200 #Akamai B4a1n.io
◦ USBs ◦ Stickers ◦ Flyers
Unexpected costs $92
Total cost of project $2000