Please see the sample Photowalk application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Recruit new editors
- Increase skills for existing editors
- Add or improve content
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. How many walks/tours will you organize and how many people on each walk?
- We will organize 4 photo walks over a period of one month. We expect at most 15 people to attend each walk and expect them to come to multiple walks.
2. What kind of content will the walks focus on? Why is this topic a priority?
- The walks will focus on documenting the monuments in Abuja, capital of Nigeria. These monuments are an important representation of the city's cultural diversity, its artists, topography. The photo walk will also take photos of key sites, buildings of historic important. Currently there are a very little coverage of Abuja monuments that are on Commons and there are fewer articles with photo documentary that has a comprehensive coverage of Abuja monuments and the artists that created them on Wikipedia. We have created a list of all the main Abuja monuments below.
3. What is the plan to ensure images will be used on Wikimedia projects?
- Participants will select 5 monuments they would like to write about throughout the month. After each walk, participants will be encouraged to upload their photos and work on their articles. The event organizers will follow-up with participants throughout the week to see if they have questions, need help finding resources, and if they are making progress on their articles. After the last photo walk, we will organize an editathon to finish uploading any photos and continue working on articles. The goal is to get each article to at least a start class.
4. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them?
- Participants will be required to bring their own cameras. We will have two digital SLR cameras available for participants to use if they do not have a camera or want to use a better quality one.
5. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- We have received a lot of interest in this event on the photo walk, We have build a Abuja wikemedia group for the Photo walk as well as on creating the Abuja Wikimedians Facebook page . We have established a partnership with the Abuja based CarePhoto for a photography technical support and awareness about the event to their members. We will gather email addresses from participants and follow-up with them afterwards. We will continue to check-in on their user talk pages and will invite them to future events if this is successful.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please add specific targets (numbers) to the following measures of success and feel free to add more:
- Number of participants: 15 participants and 2 event organizers
- Number of photos uploaded to Wikimedia Commons: 3600 photos
- Number of photos used on Wikimedia projects: 25% of total number of photos uploaded (~900)
- Number of articles created or improved: 75 articles
We will be following up with participants to help them keep editing and improving their articles over the next several months. We hope that these walks create a group of people that are both interested in photography and contributing to Wikimedia projects. Our goal is to have this be the beginning of a series of themed photo walks in Abuja and participants.
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- We have two project organizers:
- Gundu Terso: Gundu is the Founder of Carephoto, is a professional photographer He will provide an overview of best practices for photographing monuments at the beginning of each walk and will help participants with photography questions as needed.
- Dike Clement: Dike has a deep knowledge of the history of monuments in Abuja. He will prioritize which monuments, key building and notable sites we will visit and will map out each walk to maximize the group's time.
We have secured the support from a Wikimedian who can help monitor new articles and provide online guidance to participants that are new to editing: Obi Ezeilo,
We will be getting the venue for the editahon from free. It will be held at the Nation Public Library, Abuja.
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list each expense and include a total amount.
- Rent for two DSLR Nikon cameras: 2 Canon Rebel cameras * $50/camera = $100
- Refreshment stop for each walk: 15 people * 4 walks * $7/person = $476
- Transportation for each walk for 15 people *$8 per person*15 * 4 walk= $480
- Refreshment for editathon: 17 people * $7/person = $119
- Internet access for uploading of works : 3600 contents = $40
- Customized T-Shirt for the group : each T-Shirt cost $ 6*15 people =$90
- Photo contest award for three best photographers : 3 Winner gets a total of = $100
Total = 1405 USD
It would be great if we could have 15 T-shirts to give away at our last editathon. We will give them to all the photographers who actively participated and a price money of $100 will be given to the three top participants based on content created -- a combination of photos uploaded and articles created.
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!