Please see the sample Editathon/Training application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Recruit new editors, mostly cisgender and transgender women, which are underrepresented communities in Wikipedia,
- Add and improve content about Peruvian women in different areas of cultural production (writers, visual artists, musicians, filmmakers, feminists, academics and actresses), which are under-represented in Wikipedia.
- Strengthen and expand the community of Wikipedia editors in Lima, men, and women.
- Expand Wikipedia culture in Peru from a gender equality perspective.
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. Are you doing one editathon or training or a series of editathons or trainings?
- We are doing one editathon focus on outstanding women in the arts and culture and one previus training targeted for cis and transgender women.
2. How will you let your community know about the event? Please paste links below to where relevant communities have been notified of your proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions.
- As in the past events, we’ll send targeted emails to academics and researchers, heads of departments and faculties of the main universities in the city. We’ll also send emails to the attendees of the previous events (around 150 people). For the general public, we’ll use social media like Facebook (our fan page has 1720 followers), our new pages on Instagram and Twitter (soon to be released). We’ll print posters that will be distributed among universities, cultural centers, museum and other cultural spaces. We’ll send press notes to digital and printed media. Besides, as in the past events, we’ll use a geonotice in Wikipedia.
3. Do you have experienced Wikimedia editors to lead the event?
- Yes. The main Wikipedian will be Yhhue91, leader of the Art+Feminism campaign in Peru, Regional Ambassador of Art+Feminism user group, a participant in the virtual course Wikipuentes 2016, held by Wikimedia Argentina. Along with the user Lapalabranecesaria, we have previously organized four editathones in Lima:
- I Art+Feminism Wikipedia Editathon in Lima
- II Art+Feminism Wikipedia Editathon in Lima
- III Art+Feminism Wikipedia Editathon in Lima
- IV Art+Feminism Wikipedia Editathon in Lima
- Throughout these events, we have created around 34 new articles on women Peruvians artists.
- The media impact of this campaign can be found here and here.
- The participating volunteers, selected in the previous events, will also be a key piece in the constant support that will be provided to the participants, according to their own levels of learning and interest.
4. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them?
- We’ll have a registration form that will allow us to know the training and knowledge of the participants about the theme raised in the editatón. However, the event will be open to all those who wish to contribute according to their possibilities.
- Throughout the experience we have acquired over the years, we have verified that many people in our city require training in issues such as writing texts and creating the basic structure of Wikipedia articles, so they can contribute with effective articles. For this reason, we have implemented one previous training in Wikipedia, from the technical and theoretical point of view, in which we ensure that participants receive the basic training to meet the stated objectives. In the training, as well as during the main event, we provide them with editing manuals and continuous advice. We will also encourage work in teams so that participants complement their knowledge.
- In addition to the general public, we will seek the participation of academic specialists in the subject matter.
- We try to ensure that the majority of participants have their personal equipment to edit. In case this does not happen, some tablets will be lent by the institution that will host the event. In addition to this, we have free access to internet.
5. How will you engage participants after the event(s)?
- To participate in the events, people must fill out an enrollment form that will record their data, including email. We will send emails after the event to check the progress of the participants in their articles. We will invite the participants to join the help group to edit in Wikipedia that we have on Facebook, which works as a permanent coordination group in which we will communicate after the event to encourage the members (40, up to now) to continuously improve the texts developed during the event.
- Through our social media pages, we will disseminate the results of the events through articles in Wikipedia, photographs and press media appearances.
- As in past events, we will select the most enthusiastic participants to actively collaborate in the following events and disseminate A + F activities between their social and professional environments.
- From this editathon we will implement a mailing list through which we will send informative and motivating emails to all subscribers.
6. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
- Since we implemented the A + F project in our country, we have expanded our interests by editing content in Wikipedia to other fields that we consider relevant and necessary. Since 2016 we have organized two events related to human rights in coordination with the Museum of Memory and the Ombudsman's Office of Peru. In addition, we plan to expand our activities outside the capital of our country, as well as implement training workshops in some national universities.
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets:
- Number of events: 2
- Number of participants: 40-50
- Number of new editors: 30-40
- Number of articles created or improved: 20-30
- Number of uploads to Wikimedia Commons: 10-20
- Number of repeat participants (for projects that include a series of events): 30
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- Espacio Fundación Telefonica will provide the following:
- The location for the events, which has free access to broadband wireless internet.
- 10 Tablets to participants who do not have personal equipment
- 2 laptops for running the workshops
- Security and technical support
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- Food and drink for 2 events, 50 people = $ 290
- Graphic design of poster, banner, brochure, pins, stickers, certificate = $ 400
- Printing of bibliographic materials and editing guides = $ 70
- Printing of reference materials and merchandising production: posters, 1 banner (reusable), brochures, pins, certificates and stickers = $ 250
- Transport of the organizers for the work of compiling reference material, 3 round trips = $ 30
- Volunteer team transportation, 3 round trips = $ 30
- Office supplies = $ 30
- Costs of digitalization of reference materials on the subject of editatón = $ 40
- Prizes for 5 outstanding editors (bags and commemorative t-shirts), 5 prizes valued $ 30 each = $ 150
- Video recording of the two events, including camera and tripod rental = $ 350
Total = $ 1640
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!