Grants:Project/Rapid/Ọmọladéabídèmí99/Yoruba Wikipedia Training: University of Lagos First Semester
Please see the sample Editathon/Training application before drafting your application.
Choose one or more of the following goals. You can add or delete goals as needed.
- Recruit new editors for Yoruba Wikipedia
- Improve the quality of contributors to Yoruba language Wikipedia
- Recruit experts and native speakers for Yoruba Wikipedia
Tell us how you'll carry out your project. Be sure to answer the following questions:
1. Are you doing one editathon or training or a series of editathons or trainings?
- Two-day training
2. How have you let relevant Wikimedia communities know about this proposal? You are required to provide links to on-wiki pages to inform these communities about your proposed work. Examples of places where this can be done include community discussion pages, affiliate discussion pages, or relevant project talk pages.
You may also provide information about external social media channels you may be using.
- Yoruba Wikipedia has been informed through the community village pump
- Yoruba Wikimedians User Group has been informed as well.
3. How will you let participants know about the edit-a-thon? In what ways will you be communicating with them?
For example, these can include on-wiki spaces, social media channels, mailing lists, messaging apps, or physical/online gatherings.
- We will inform the participants during our classes
- The department's social media platforms will be used as well as the department's noticeboards
4. Do you have experienced Wikimedia editors to lead the event? Please provide links to the usernames of these individuals.
For example: User:I JethroBT
5. Do participants have the equipment or skills needed to participate and contribute high quality content? If not, how will you support them?
6. How will you engage participants after the event(s)?
- There would be monthly edit-a-thons and we will use this opportunity to start a Yoruba Wikipedia fan club in the department. This way, we can effectively follow up with participants.
- Participants would be mentored using the outreach dashbboard
- We will create a WhatsApp group for participants. This way, we can quickly respond to questions and receive feedback from the new editors.
7. Are you running any in-person events or activities? If so, you will need to complete the steps outlined on the Risk Assessment protocol related to COVID-19. When you have completed these steps, please provide a link to your completed copy of the risk assessment tool below:
- See Link to completed copy of the risk assessment tool
8. Is there anything else you want to tell us about this project?
How will you know if the project is successful and you've met your goals? Please include the following targets:
- Number of events - 2
- Number of participants - 35
- Number of new editors - 33
- Number of articles created or improved - 33
- Number of repeat participants (for projects that include a series of events) - 30
What resources do you have? Include information on who is organizing the project, what they will do, and if you will receive support from anywhere else (in-kind donations or additional funding).
- Free hall
- Experienced editors to facilitate the training
What resources do you need? For your funding request, list bullet points for each expense and include a total amount.
- Meals and Drinks: ₦5,000 x 40 x 2 days = ₦400,000
- Projector: ₦10,000 x 2 = ₦20,000
- Public address system: ₦5,000 x 2 = ₦10,000
- Alternative Power Supply ₦10,000 x 2 = ₦ 20,000
- Local travels for coordinator : ₦20,000 x 2 = ₦40,000
- Phone call and internet data for facilitators: ₦50,000 x 2 = ₦100,000
- Rollup Banner: ₦ 30,000
- Digital banner for promotion: ₦10,000
- Router : ₦20,000 x 1 = ₦20,000
- Data Bundle for 2 days = ₦15,000 x 2= ₦30,000
- Nose Mask and hand sanitizer: ₦20,000
- T-shirts for 2 facilitators and 3 best participants: ₦5,000 x 5 = ₦ 25,000
- Certificate of participation: ₦40,000
- Stationery and Miscellaneous: ₦50,000
- Total = ₦825,000 (USD 2,000 ) (Oanda exchange)
Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!