Grants:Project/MSIG/WMSE/Content Partnerships Hub experimentation

statusNot Funded
WM SE/Content Partnerships Hub
We continue the planning and experimentation in the five areas of the Content Partnerships hub, in preparation for full implementation.
targetWikipedia, Wikidata, Wikimedia Commons, Wikisource, Wikibase
start dateJanuary 9
start year2023
end dateJune 31
end year2023
budget (local currency)1,545,162
budget (USD)149,000
grant typeorganization
non-profit statusYes
contact(s)• john.andersson(_AT_)• eric.luth(_AT_)
organization (if applicable)• Wikimedia Sverige
website (if applicable)

Applications are not required to be in English. Please complete the application in your preferred language.

Project Goal edit

What will be the outputs of your project and how will those outputs contribute to advancing a specific Movement Strategy Initiative

What specific Movement Strategy Initiative does your project focus on and why? Please select one of the initiatives described here

26 Regional & thematic hubs

Project Background edit

When do you intend to begin this project and when will it be completed?

9 January to 31 June 2023 (we would however like to start as soon as possible)

Where will your project activities be happening?

Globally, led by WMSE’s team in Sweden

Are you collaborating with other communities or affiliates on this project? Please provide details of how partners intend to work together to achieve the project goal.

Yes. We are working hard to engage different Movement stakeholders in each of the areas we are prioritizing. The goal has been to find practical ways for engagement for each of the focus areas and iteratively develop the collaborations with the aim to achieve impact as early as possible. During the project we will further plan the governance structures.

  • The work of the Helpdesk is guided by an Expert Committee, consisting of eight community members from a diverse set of communities from across the world. In 2023 we hope to engage at least five affiliates in the Working Groups. Each individual request also represents a small and focused collaboration with an affiliate or a community member. We believe that the experts contributing to the working group could get even further reach through WMF’s Let’s connect initiative.
  • For the Capacity building we have stated interests from affiliates in Germany, France and Czech Republic to join the Grand Tour of Wikimedia as so-called hosts. Dozens of affiliates and communities have stated an interest to participate in the initiative. Regarding the platform we are working with OpenRefine and the Community Development team at WMF and we intend to engage different movement experts to contribute to specific learning modules. We are working with WMDE around Wikibase.
  • For the work with IGOs we are coordinating with the Partnership team at WMF. We are also planning to work with 3–5 affiliates to develop the WiR training and lists of candidates. Several affiliates are already involved in the strategic and operational discussions. We will investigate the possibility to connect these efforts to the Organizer lab initiative at WMF.
  • For software development we are developing a joint funding and governance structure and are hoping for 4–6 affiliates to join. We are also coordinating with the Culture & Heritage team at WMF. Also other teams working with software development are of relevance to coordinate with, e.g. at WMF, WMDE and other affiliates. To that end we have done a detailed stakeholder analysis.
  • For strategic data we are teaming up with national teams and GLAMwiki staff members ongoingly around data that can be included. Around each of the individual uploads we try to initiate a collaboration with the affiliate that has provided the content in the first place. We also are working with the international Wiki Loves Monuments team to find more data about built cultural heritage and are hoping to work closely with the team behind the International Museum Day campaign.
What specific challenge will your project be aiming to solve? And what opportunities do you plan to take advantage of to solve the problem?

All the activities that are being worked on as part of this project is focusing on increasing coordination and capacity building amongst Wikimedia affiliates and volunteers in the work that is taking place around content partnerships.

Does this project aim to apply one of the examples shared in the call for grants and if so which one?

Planning Hubs

Project Activities edit

What specific activities will be carried out during this project? Please describe the specific activities that will be carried out during this project.

The Wikimedia Movement is increasingly becoming a central node online, building up towards “the essential infrastructure of the ecosystem of free knowledge”. The more central the Wikimedia Movement becomes online, the more important it will however be to collaborate with other actors in society, including cultural heritage institutions such as museums and libraries, as well as intergovernmental organizations (IGOs, such as UN agencies) and international non-governmental organizations (INGOs).

Given the state of the world, after a global pandemic, with new wars and conflicts and an imminent climate crisis, we believe that it only gets more and more important that we, as a movement, partner with other knowledge producers, to make knowledge freely available and shared, and especially when it comes to topics for impact and areas of high importance.

Essentially, the Wikimedia Movement will need to find the means, the infrastructure and close partnerships for making more content – media, data, text or any other form – available through the Wikimedia platforms. This is in essence what we mean by content partnerships, and what we aim to strive towards on a global level through the initiative for a Content Partnerships Hub.

In this project we are continuing the exploration we started in 2021–2022 around five areas currently underpinning the Content Partnerships Hub concept. These five areas were supported and refined through the Needs assessment we conducted in 2021–2022. All five areas are connected in a number of ways, but focus on solving distinct problems rather than building elaborate Movement structures.

Up until this date we have done a lot of preparation and are starting to have the clarity needed for implementation work as the next step. We have actively participated in the definition of hubs and conducted a needs assessment around content partnerships. We have iteratively worked on responding to the identified needs and we have introduced the Helpdesk and appointed an Expert Committee to guide the work of the Helpdesk and supported the first requests; we identified and activated platforms and structures for capacity building; we prepared for partnerships with several IGOs and INGOs and started drafting a WiR program; we improved hundreds of thousands of media files by adding SDC; and we provided ad hoc maintenance of three tools to learn more about them and continued to strengthen our ability to engage in advance software development work. These efforts have given us a good foundation and insights into important next steps to take in our experimentation and planning. Below we outline what we see as the next natural steps of our planning and experimentation which will provide us with the missing pieces needed for full implementation.

The first area is the Helpdesk. We launched the Helpdesk as a new service for the Wikimedia Movement in 2022. The Helpdesk provides hands-on-support to Wikimedian volunteers or affiliates trying to form content partnerships, especially for local communities in the underserved and underrepresented communities. In the Needs Assessment that we made in the early phase of the work with the Content Partnerships Hub experimentation, many actors in the movement expressed a need and wish for this kind of hands-on support. In that way, it responds to the needs that the actors within the movement request, when it comes to partnerships. It also acts as a network for creating contacts between actors within the Wikimedia Movement.

We have also established a first Expert Committee, consisting of a diverse group of experts from across the Movement, to help us prioritize between the requests and provide early guidance to the person or organization requesting help.

We have already received a dozen requests for support for the Helpdesk and as such feel confident that this is a structure that is needed in the Movement. The requests have ranged in kind from the entire ‘journey’ towards successful content partnerships – from how to do the early outreach and introductions, to making the final batch uploads. We have also realized that the kinds of needs in the communities vary greatly globally, and in the same way, that there is a need for a strong and diverse support mechanism for content partnerships. As per the communication with requestors, several of the projects now initiated or launched would not have taken place without the support of the Helpdesk.

In the coming months we will experiment, evaluate and plan three ideas we have conceptualized:

  1. Defining Expert Committee governance and function: The Expert Committee has started working on the initial requests for help and are ongoingly developing best practices on how to prioritize between suggestions and provide initial guidance to requesters. The Expert Committee is also working on developing their own governance structure and on how the Committee should be formed in the future. The preparations are supported by WMSE’s staff. In 2023 WMSE’s team and the committee will plan for the committee’s future role and structure, and how it should be elected in the future. The expert committee ensures equity in decision-making as WMSE is not deciding what requests to the Helpdesk should be prioritized. Their feedback will also help to identify topics for impact as they help to direct resources where they will have most value.
  2. Planning for interchapter working groups: When a request has been prioritized support has to be provided. Until this point this work has been provided by WMSE’s staff, but we think that this approach has a number of limitations. Thus, we want to explore how we can implement so-called Working Groups in the work. They will consist of movement experts and will help with answering the requests received through the Helpdesk. We expect to launch and test the Working Groups as soon as possible and also evaluate the structure and experience based on the first handled requests. The Helpdesk’s Working Groups is a structure that will increase coordination across stakeholders and has the potential to become a structure that facilitates the connection/matching of peers across the Movement for teaching and learning new skills, and to increase mentoring and peer-to-peer support.
  3. Supporting documentation and learning: When looking to answer a request to the Helpdesk we have realized the significant shortcomings on available material to point to. Therefore we want to explore how we can develop a model and process for how specific requests to the Helpdesk can guide long-term and ambitious capacity building efforts. I.e. if we receive a request about an issue where there is no documentation, learning material etc. to point to, this request could provide guidance that developing such material should be a priority. We also want to develop a plan for how such material could be created not just by the hub team at WMSE but with dedicated resources provided to other affiliates to encourage joint efforts. This work will help our internal knowledge management but also see where no material exists and where the insights will be of value for the entire movement to document well so that we keep on innovating.

We believe that the concept of a helpdesk can be a relevant support structure to implement also in other hubs in the movement. I.e. we will only focus on providing support regarding content partnerships, while e.g. the Wikimedia Language Diversity Hub might want to organize a helpdesk focusing on e.g. activities to support small language communities. Therefore we will share these processes with the wider Wikimedia Movement and especially with other hub initiatives.

The second area is capacity building. The Helpdesk, introduced in the first paragraph, works reactively in the sense that it supports projects requested by volunteers and communities. We are, however, already seeing how many volunteers, communities and affiliates struggle with the same or similar issues. In order to raise the capacities of the global movement on a general level, when it comes to content partnership projects, the second important area of work concerns capacity building. The Helpdesk will continue to support projects from across the entire ‘content partnerships journey’, but hopefully, with time, the capacity building efforts will make volunteers, communities and affiliates more able to do most of the work themselves. The requests to the Helpdesk will also feed into the capacity building, in the sense that we will hopefully – through the Helpdesk – be able to see patterns when it comes to where capacity building efforts are needed.

The capacity building is also an area of work that repeatedly has been pointed out as a major obstacle to engaging in content partnerships in our interviews through the needs assessment. In the preparatory work for the hub, it became clear that there are several different areas where capacity building is needed. Maybe the most prominent one is the fact that even though knowledge is produced and used in one part of the movement, it often stays there – among affiliates, user groups or even individuals. We must find better ways of finding, collecting, translating and sharing the local knowledge globally. Other issues are that there might be knowledge gaps, or outdated information, that could quite easily be updated and expanded.

Over the years Wikimedia Sverige has developed a comprehensive set of learning material covering the Wikimedia Movement and the platforms, as well as specific material around content partnerships. Our hands-on experience and hundreds of content partnerships have allowed us to refine the material. Such content can now be internationalized and repacked using new tools (e.g. and Wikibase). The material is however incomplete and not always recently updated and we believe that the work done by other affiliates will complement and add to these shared resources.

At this point we have focused on conceptualizing a couple of ideas that we would like to take into experimentation and planning phase:

  1. Developing a content plan for We are in contact with the Community Development team at Wikimedia Foundation to start experimenting with the learning platform We currently have a detailed plan for the basic learning modules needed for different target audiences (staff, volunteers, elected officials etc.). Therefore we can start experimenting with the platform from day one and use the experience to develop specialized learning modules needed for successful content partnerships. By the end of this short project we expect to have the basic structure up-and-running, a much clearer understanding of the cost to develop each learning module and an extensive list of modules to develop for the future. We intend to engage other chapters, the WMF and experts in the Movement to co-create the content for these learning modules. With the right learning modules and incentives people across the Movement can improve their skills and develop into strong leaders.
  2. Making content partnership information easy to find: The questions from the Helpdesk, and what we see are missing when we develop the learning modules, will provide us insights about the current state of documentation on Meta. From our work with software development (see below) we will gain insights on the status quo of training materials for tools. We intend to structure this information and also pilot the development, or improvement, of at least two different sets of documentation. From our conversations with affiliates and volunteers one problem highlighted has been the lack of findability of material such as reports, case studies and other resources created by the Movement. Therefore we have launched a WikiBase installation called MetaBase. In 2022 we started experimenting how the Movement content could be structured in it to improve searchability and findability. Early tests are very interesting and we have identified a contractor, co-funded by the Swedish unemployment agency as part of a work training program, that will start adding material in 2023. (If this grant is secured the Swedish unemployment agency will cover 80% of the salary for a half time role for a Wikimedian, with a medical disability, to work on this project and add data. His experimental work will form the basis for our analysis and future plans). We believe that this has the potential to really improve how we manage our internal knowledge and also could be an answer to how we host learning resources.
  3. The Grand tour of Wikimedia: We have developed a concept for an exchange program called the Grand Tour of Wikimedia. A main focus for this project is to plan the pedagogical approach and to encourage more Wikimedia affiliates to commit to act as so-called hosts. In the second half of 2023 (after this project) we aim to organize the first Tour together with a few Wikimedia affiliates and also apply for external EU grants (e.g. from the Erasmus+ program and the European Solidarity Corps). The Grand Tour of Wikimedia is an innovative way to invest in skills and leadership development – chapters will share best-practice with existing or up-and-coming movement leaders. We also think that the pedagogical approach and tasks for the people traveling will support the management and sharing of our movement’s internal knowledge.

We will dedicate resources to actively share the experiments we are doing around capacity building with other hub initiatives and efforts around the strategic implementation. For example we see great value if other regional and thematic hubs would contribute with other modules to, and will try to coordinate with them around style and form, but also around translations from the language based hubs. If the structure for MetaBase is successful the tool has the potential to include all types of information, not just for content partnerships but also e.g. material regarding lobbying efforts or education partnerships and hence benefit other hub initiatives. For the Grand Tour we are initially proposing a tour with focus on content partnerships, but other tours could be organized by other thematic hubs using the same structure. The entire concept could also be launched as part of regional hubs with a focus to increase exchange locally.

The third area is partnerships with UN agencies and other intergovernmental organizations. We see a strong need to dedicate resources in developing high value content partnerships with UN agencies, as well as other intergovernmental organizations (IGOs) and international non-governmental organizations (INGOs). The enormous amount of high-impact knowledge and content that these organizations produce all across the world, in many languages, has so far been underutilized in the Wikimedia Movement, as has their valuable expertise. This is to a large extent due to the fact that these partnerships do not fit neatly into traditional responsibilities.

Wikimedia Sverige as a chapter has worked closely with several UN agencies during the last few years. Between 2017 and 2022, WMSE partnered and provided a Wikimedian in Residence (a WiR) at UNESCO. This partnership with UNESCO has opened many doors within the UN agencies especially, but also at other IGOs and INGOs. The networks and expertise built up through the partnership has also put the Thematic Hub in a unique situation to reap the fruits of this partnership. It has also allowed us to deepen the collaborations between the UN and the Wikimedia Movement, to the benefits of the entire movement.

The work with IGOs and INGOs will also contribute to the interweaving of the different aspects of the Thematic Hub: (1) The resources made available through WiR positions will allow us to increase the resources for capacity building; directly, since the WiRs will be able to develop a lot of missing material such as learning and documentation and indirectly, as the WiR programs that will need to be developed will also contribute to fostering a new – and more diverse – generation of Wikimedians with important and specific qualities for future WiR positions. (2) The WiRs will also have an active role in sharing knowledge through the Helpdesk, if any requests are made that concern IGOs or INGOs. At this point, we have already had a request involving UNESCO, to give one example. (3) The IGOs will be an important source of strategic data. UN agencies and other IGOs are gathering national and regional data on a systematic and global level, and opening up this data for reuse and integration to Wikidata could radically improve Wikidata as such, but also enable global renditions of campaigns such as Wiki Loves Earth and Monuments. Through the work with IGOs, we will also get access to important channels for gathering information and data, such as the work we have done with UNESCO for gathering information about built cultural heritage and GLAMs.

Based on these insights, we are intending to experiment with two aspects of these types of partnerships in 2023:

  1. A Wikimedian in Residence program for IGOs: We have had multiple requests from the intergovernmental organizations for a WiR. They often want Wikimedians that master a specific language, that are experts on a specific Wikimedia platform or that are from different countries/regions. To fulfill their needs and be equitable about this opportunity we would need more WiRs to be trained and prepared for this possibility. This demands a prepared list of candidates, a tailored training program for IGO WiRs, establishment of a fiscal sponsorship and other kinds of structures and processes needed. If done right this could mean a steady flow of resources to affiliates across the world and thus help us to increase the sustainability of our movement. In addition, a WiR is an excellent foundation for a deeper cooperation with external content partners such as IGOs, and for establishing an appreciation and understanding of Wikimedia methods and culture in their organizations. The training and support to WiRs in strategically important international content partners also helps to develop skills and develop new leaders across the world and as such support a more equitable Movement.
  2. Building bridges between Wikimedia and the UN: In 2022 we have initiated discussions on partnerships with 10 different UN agencies and 5 other IGOs. For seven of them plans of joint activities are currently actively being developed. In the first half of 2023 we hope to plan these initiatives in detail, connect them with each other for maximum impact and launch them in the second half of 2023. The focus is on content covering three topic areas: gender, climate change and biodiversity, and health. The three areas have been chosen based on the importance of sharing high quality knowledge in the area, that all UN agencies are expected to have content in the areas from different perspectives and that there are active volunteers to work on the material. There will be a strong focus of coordination across stakeholders, both between IGOs/INGOs and between Wikimedia organizations. To that end we work to develop plans for cross-affiliate activities, and to further develop a clarity around roles and responsibilities with the WMF Partnerships team. This includes working with the content from the focus areas, but also to discuss and coordinate around if these are suitable topic areas also the following year to achieve maximum impact.

We believe that there are at least two important values that the IGOs and INGOs can bring to the strategic implementation: (1) They produce enormous amounts of content, in a wide range of areas. The strategic recommendation of topics for impact can efficiently be fed by collaborations with UN agencies, and this content can be of large importance regional or thematic hubs. We believe that the focus on content partnership with them will open up for partnerships with the regional UN offices for the regional hubs or affiliates to work on activities connected to the content. (2) Getting IGOs and INGOs interested in and invested in work with the Wikimedia platforms, and securing partnerships and MoUs with them, can open up many new doors for regional or thematic hubs or affiliates in the Wikimedia Movement, working on specific topics or in specific areas. In this way, the entire movement will be able to reap the fruits of successful collaborations with IGOs and INGOs through the Thematic Hub.

The fourth area is software. Since 2017 WMSE has supported the development and maintenance of different tools connected to content partnerships or content reuse. We worked closely with teams at the Wikimedia Foundation and Wikimedia Deutschland to develop our capacities and create detailed plans with the intent of developing Wikimedia Sverige’s software capabilities. We are planning to establish a more structured and systematic approach for supporting existing key strategic tools in the near term, and to develop missing tools and functionalities over the long term.

Without good tools all of the work with e.g. the Helpdesk, with IGOs and structured data is limited and weakened. By fully understanding the tools we are also better able to improve the documentation and other parts needed for capacity building. As the development work in the hub is done as an integrated part of real-world partnerships, where we bring content to our projects, we believe we can identify the needs and develop high quality tools.

In 2023 we will plan and experiment in two different ways:

  1. Supporting the maintenance of GLAM tools: Many tools are crucial for delivering content from different partnerships. The problems created for affiliates across the world when they break or fail to include new important functionalities are significant. This can be handled with dedicated developer and other staff time, good relationships with the volunteer developer community and active testing and feedback compilation about the needs of the Wikimedia community and content partners. Based on this needs assessment, a structured list of relevant tools, and a stakeholder analysis we have conducted we will initiate experimentational work on how to best provide maintenance and respond to feature requests. We want to do a year of experimentation (part funded with this grant) where we will target up to three strategically important tools, in close cooperation with the volunteer developers and with support from a number of affiliates. Until June 2023 we will engage other affiliates to pick which tools to focus on maintaining and how the work can support the initiative (this work has already started), plan the technical work based on the tools picked, plan what new features to develop and how this could be organized long-term. We will also investigate how we could take advantage of Outreachy and Google Summer of Code. Furthermore we will identify what learning modules should be included in and develop a detailed plan around the next steps of documentation and learning material for key tools. We will also develop structures for how affiliates can ongoingly provide dedicated support for the work – not just with funding but also with dedicated staff time from their teams. This will help to improve user experience and to innovate in free knowledge by identifying missing features.
  2. Sharing responsibilities for technical development: We strongly believe that there is a need for the Movement to distribute more responsibilities for technical development to the hubs. As part of earlier initiatives we developed detailed plans for this work but the plans have not been updated. We would like to revisit this material on how the Movement can provide better technical infrastructure for content partnerships. This will be done in preparation for work in 2024–onward that we hope will be possible. By innovating to develop our platforms and caring for the user experience for our content partners we will stay relevant for our content partners also in the future – hopefully even increase our role as key infrastructure.

As part of this project we are targeting tools that are of importance for content partnerships, but the same type of maintenance support is requested also for other types of tools. The structures that we experiment with could be replicated by other hubs that want to provide support to key tools. The more ambitious and strategic thinking around software development will help to keep the discussion of how power sharing could and should be done in focus.

The fifth area is strategic data. For affiliates to find new partners, organize activities that position them for content partnerships and for them to be able to share their success with partner organizations there is a strong need to improve and expand the available data on Wikidata and Wikimedia Commons. This is often highly technical and capacities are limited in many communities which mean that the backlog has continued to grow over the years. The Content Partnerships Hub team do have this capacity in-house and have developed good relations with the volunteer community around this work.

The work with strategic datasets connects to the other initiatives in a number of ways, e.g.: (1) The datasets are often gathered through the work with IGOs; (2) As we have been able to show the value we are already seeing affiliates requesting help with this work through the Helpdesk; (3) Both the work with Wikidata and SDC can function as a test bed for the tools that we develop; (4) By adding data about GLAM institutions (their locations, if they have had GLAMwiki partnerships and possibly their collections) we will gain insights into where there are gaps. This will in turn help us to work strategically and data driven to provide capacity building and other types of support to fill the gaps.

To improve the situation the Content Partnerships Hub team has experimented on how to collaborate with the global Wikimedia community to provide more data about GLAM institutions, about built cultural heritage sites and about Structured Data on Commons. The low-hanging fruit has been taken care of and we would like to prepare for the next step. We are aiming to focus on two things during the first half of the year:

  1. Exploring Wikidata to find possible content partners: We intend to conduct research to compile material about GLAM institutions. We are planning to work together with UNESCO to reach out to different national stakeholders (as such this is closely coupled with our IGO work). We have received an invitation by the Swedish delegation of UNESCO to co-organize an event targeting the national representations from the African and Middle Eastern countries. In preparation for the event we are planning to develop a number of engagement points with affiliates from the regions so that new content partnerships can form, especially around this valuable data. We are specifically interested in the countries identified as key priorities set by the Wiki Loves Monuments international team based on their DEI research, a team we have had a number of meetings with to discuss joint efforts around this. We are also planning to continue the collaboration with affiliates around the world to add the datasets they have already collected or update the data as needed. One key piece that is missing is how GLAM collections should be represented on Wikidata, e.g. a museum might have a hundred different sub-collections and there is currently no plan on how such information should be structured. Close cooperation with the Wikimedia community will be of crucial importance when planning and conducting this work. We are supporting a research proposal along these lines which, if the research is funded, will provide us with more detailed plans.
  2. Exploring ways to increase searchability and findability of material from content partnerships: Over the last couple of years the team has developed the needed skills and process to update large amounts of media files on Wikimedia Commons with structured data. We have so far focused on Wiki Loves Monuments and Wiki Loves Earth images and have worked on around ⅓ of the uploaded images. This allows us to showcase for the Wikimedia community on how work with SDC can improve the searchability and findability of content, as well as make it easier to identify areas for improvement and gaps in coverage. Using this as a concrete example we want to plan for the next steps and engage the smaller Wikimedia communities in working with SDC as part of their content partnerships (this ties into the capacity building efforts outlined above). Based on this experience we also want to research how uploaded material from content partners can be improved with SDC at scale. First we will examine how much SDC information has been added to the material uploaded in the context of content partnerships by volunteers and Wikimedia societies. We will pay extra attention to contributions from communities that have less resources, as some communities and their contributions are less visible to the global community. This is an opportunity to highlight and build upon their work. The insight into the status and how much work each collection will take gives us a basis for a larger application for work in the second half of 2023 and beyond.

Ensuring that key information about potential partners etc. are easily accessible for affiliates and volunteers is something that, arguably, is of relevance to ensure for all hubs. Similar initiatives around data compilation could be done e.g. about schools and universities for the educational hub or about organizations working with a specific language for the different language hubs. We will share our experience with other hubs and provide guidance and support if they would like to launch similar initiatives.

How do you intend to keep communities updated on the progress and outcomes of the project? Please add the names or usernames of these individuals responsible for updating the community

Yes we are, for each of the areas we have a dedicated lead person that is responsible for sharing material and the progress. Overall communication coordination is handled by Josefine Hellroth Larsson. For communication regarding software and strategic data Sandra Fauconnier is responsible. For discussion around different hub initiatives and coordination with them John Andersson is responsible.

Target group Channels
Wikimedia affiliates
  • Hub portal on Meta – including translation work
  • Individual conversations
  • Participating in Wikimedia events on- and offline
  • Ambassadors
  • Diff blogg
  • This month in GLAM
  • Mailing lists
  • Twitter
  • Telegram
  • Facebook groups
  • Hub portal on Meta – including translation work
  • This month in GLAM
  • Mailing lists
  • Facebook groups
  • Twitter
  • Telegram
  • Diff blogg
  • Ambassadors
  • Individual conversations with key volunteers
  • Hub portal on Meta
  • Individual conversations with teams. E.g.:
    • Partnerships
    • Community Programs (esp. Culture & Heritage)
    • Movement Strategy & Governance
    • Community Development
  • Diff blogg
Content partners
  • Individual conversations
  • Participating in industry events on- and offline
  • Mailing lists
  • Twitter
  • Facebook groups

; Who will be responsible for delivering on this project and what are their roles and responsibilities?

Focus area Lead Other staff
Project Management (tasks) John A Josefine, André
Communication (tasks) Josefine Eric, Jenny, Axel, Tore, John C
Helpdesk (tasks) Eric Alicia, Sebastian, Axel, Tore, John C, John A
Strategic data uploads (tasks) Alicia Tore, Axel, Sebastian, John C
Capacity building (tasks) Josefine Eric, John C, Axel, Tore, Alicia
International partnerships (tasks) Eric John C, John A
Software development (tasks) André Sebastian, Alicia, Sandra, Florence, Eugene, Nav

A list can also be found here: Content Partnerships Hub/People – Meta

Additional information edit

If your activities include community discussions, what is your plan for ensuring that the conversations are productive? Provide a link to a Friendly Space Policy or UCoC that will be implemented to support these discussions.
  • We will cultivate a safe and supportive environment for all participants by
  • Hosting a UCOC and Friendly Space Policy onboarding session and discussion round(s) with the team working with the Hub.
  • Introducing all participants at events we organize to the UCOC and Friendly Space Policy.
  • Offering digital “HR office hours” for participants to book one-on-one meetings with the organizers, in order to discuss concerns or air complaints.
  • Offering an anonymous form for reporting problems, with guaranteed communication in English.
If your activities include the use of paid online tools, please describe what tools these are and how you intend to use them.

Paid online tools for video calls and online collaboration tools will be organized by Wikimedia Sverige. None of the funds from this grant would go toward that expense.

Do your activities include the translation of materials, and if so, in what languages will the translation be done? Please include details of those responsible for making the translations.

Yes, we are discussing with a number of affiliates to support work in this space and are planning to launch a language ambassador program of some sort. We hope to engage the language oriented hubs in this work as well. Our team will ensure that material exists in English and Swedish.

Are there any other details you would like to share? Consider providing rationale, research or community discussion outputs, and any other similar information, that will give more context on your proposed project.

In some aspects we are far ahead in our work and have been working iteratively for a few years now in this space. We have also developed strong concepts, we have conducted a very large number of discussions with relevant stakeholders and we now have a strong international team in place. Therefore we have a very short starting time and are ready to get to work from day one. This is reflected in the ambitious and multifaceted plan we have developed, as we feel confident we can make strong improvements in our planning and conduct a number of key experiments. There are a large number of areas that are completely new to the movement that we are trying to achieve and we need the resources to continue this work.

Outcomes edit

After your activities are complete, we would like to understand the draft implementation plan for your community. You will be required to prepare a document detailing this plan around a movement strategy initiative. This report can be prepared through Meta-wiki using the Share your results button on this page. The report can be prepared in your language, and is not required to be written in English.

In this report, you will be asked to:

  • Provide a link to the draft implementation plan document or Wikimedia page
  • Describe what activities supported the development of the plan
  • Describe how and where you have communicated your plan to relevant communities.
  • Report on how your funding was spent

Your draft implementation plan document should address the following questions clearly:

  • What movement strategy initiative or goal are you addressing?
  • What activities will you be doing to address that initiative?
  • What do you expect will happen as a result of your activities? How do those outcomes address the movement strategy initiative?
  • How will you measure or evaluate your activities? What tools or methods will you use to evaluate your activities?

To create a draft implementation plan, we recommend the use of a logic model, which will help you and your team think about goals, activities, outcomes, and other factors in an organized way. Please refer the following resources to develop a logic model:

Please confirm below that you will be able to prepare a draft implementation plan document by the end of your grant:

  • Yes

Optionally, you are welcome to include other information you'd like to share around participation and representation in your activities. Please include any additional outcomes you would like to report on below:

Budget edit

How you will use the funds you are requesting? List bullet points for each expense. Don’t forget to include a total amount, and update this amount in the Probox at the top of your page too!

  • Research (time needed to review, perform analysis, or investigate any information needed to support implementation ideas or planning): 55,100
  • Facilitation (facilitation time including facilitator preparation, meeting facilitation time, and debriefing): 16,600
  • Documentation (document preparation time, time spent documenting of discussion, post-meeting work): 20,300
  • Translation (translation costs for briefs and global materials): 5,700
  • Coordination (coordinator work to manage or support multiple workflows to prepare for meeting): 29,600
  • Online tools or services (subscription services for online meeting platforms, social media promotion): 0
  • Data (internet or mobile costs for organizers or participants to access or participate in activities): 0
  • Venue or space for meeting (costs of renting a physical meeting space): 1,900
  • Transportation costs (costs of supporting organizers or participants to attend the meeting): 7,200
  • Meals (costs related to refreshments, lunches, or other meals during in-person activities): 500
  • Other: 12,100


Completing your application edit

Once you have completed the application, please do the following:

  • Change the application status from status=draft to status=proposed in the {{Probox}} template.
  • Contact strategy2030 to confirm your submission, as well as to request any support around your application.

Endorsements edit

An endorsement from community members (especially from outside your community) will be part of the considerations when reviewing your application. Community members are encouraged to endorse your project request here!