Grants:Project/Louvain Coopération/Wiki 4 Coop
What is the problem you're trying to solve?Edit
Similar problem at two different scales:
The NGO Louvain Coopération (L.C. NGO website info) and its multimedia department, are thinking of sharing their knowledge and digital files through the web for use ICT tool and program to share it with its global south audience. Connection and collaboration between the Wikimedia movement and this NGO does not yet exist and a win-win collaboration is possible.
The Belgium Federal Public Service Foreign Affairs has started a grant submission for a called Digital for Development (D4D) project to promote "partnerships between the EU and its member States as well as other key stakeholders, notably the private sector, civil society, and other donors and multilateral organisations that are active in the ICT sector, in order to enhance the positive impact of ICT on development" (website infos : English - French - Dutch). Connection and collaboration between the Wikimedia movement and the Belgian cooperation administration and NGOs do not yet exist while a win-win collaboration could be possible.
What is your solution?Edit
- (small scale) : Starting a Wikimedia in residence program in L.C. NGO with the co-author of this grant who is long term on line/off line wikimedian contributors/volunteer, administrator on fr.Wikiversity, actually working full time as employee in this NGO since the first of March 2017 until the first September 2018.
- (large scale), using the collaboration between Wikimedia movement and L.C. NGO as example for lobbying in Belgium cooperation administration and start a collaboration between Wikimedia movement and Belgian cooperation in the D4D project.
What are your goals for this projectEdit
- Transfer a larger part of the knowledge and digital files from L.C. NGO and Belgian NGO to Wikimedia projects.
- Involves L.C. NGO and Belgian cooperation stakeholders on Wikimedia projects as editors.
- Share Wikimedia project contents with Belgian NGO's global south audience in collaboration with Wikipedia Zero, Kiwix, Wiki Med, ect.
- Establish a Wikimedian in residence within L.C. NGO.
- Involve L.C. NGO staff on wikimedia projects as editors.
- Transfer a larger part of the knowledge and digital files of L.C. NGO to Wikimedia projects.
- Share this content with global south L.C. audience through programs such as Kiwix, Wikipedia Zero, Wiki Med, ect.
- Convince the Belgian Federal Public Service Foreign Affairs to involve Wikimedia movement within the D4D project.
- Start a collaboration between Wikimedia movement and D4D project.
How will you know if you have met your goals?Edit
With Louvain CoopérationEdit
- An experienced online / offline wikimedian take place in Louvain Coopération NGO staff for the period of the grant.
- A user account Louvain Coopération is ready to uploading NGO's files, creating new article, and present the list of NGO's staff to Wikimedia communities as paid editors.
- A wikimedia movement presentation is done during staff meeting.
- L.C. NGO staff members and volunteers has created a Wikimedia user accounts and start to contribute on Wikimedia projects for creating or improving articles (see next section for more details). They can take example of good paid edition the creation the Wikipedia article about Louvain Coopération fixed before the start grant.
- CC.BY.SA 4.0 compatible L.C. NGO's multimedia productions are uploaded on Wikimedia commons (see next section for more details).
- Wikipedia zero, Kiwix and other useful programs or tools are promoted and use by global south L.C. NGO's partners and audience to permit free Wikimedia projects access. Actions are related on public report and/or press coverage.
With Federal cooperation administration and D4D projectEdit
- Establish contact with Prime Minister and Minister for development cooperation Alexander De Croo for checking the political and cooperation actors interest about Creative commons licence and collaboration with Wikimedia movement is done.
- Lobbying in D4D project using cooperation between L.C. NGO as example is working.
- Collaboration and financially support of Wikimedia Foundation to the D4D project is negotiated with an hypothetical new grant submission (150.000 € will be founded by Belguim state to support D4D project but 20 % of this budget have to be found as co-founding for running the project).
- Collaboration between Wikimedia movement and D4D project start.
Do you have any goals around participation or content?Edit
- Total participants
|L.C. project national country directors||6|
|L.C. Global south projects staff||30|
|L.C. Global south projects partner||140 organisations|
|L.C. Global south audience||around 1 millions peoples directly and more indirectly|
- Number of newly registered users (small scale - Wiki 4 Coop / 1)
|L.C. Global south projects national manager||6|
|L.C. Global south projects national staff||15|
|L.C. Global south projects partner staff||undetermined|
|L.C. Global south audience||undetermined|
- Number of pages created or improved across all Wikimedia projects mainly in French, English and Spanish or global south local languages (small scale - Wiki 4 Coop / 1)
|WM Project||Page created||Pages improved|
|Wikiversity (lessons and research)||10||20|
|Other Wimedia sisters projects||20||40|
- Number of L.C. NGO files compatible with CC.BY.SA 4.0 licence uploaded on Wikimedia commons at 100 Mb/s (small scale - Wiki 4 Coop / 1).
|Type of files uploaded||Unit|
|Pictures||1000 unit + 10 Go sure and potentially 50 Go (depend of quality and compatibility with CC.BY.SA 4.0)|
|Videos||sure 50 +25 DVD contain and potentially 300 Go (depend of quality and compatibility with CC.BY.SA 4.0)|
|30 didactic resources|
- Number of Website
- Potentially 7 websites contain dedicated to student courses actually published on non commercial creative common licence (see multimedia department of L.C. NGO website list).
- Two grantee metric measures of success (small scale - Wiki 4 Coop / 1)
- = Done
- = In process
- = To do
- G.S. = Grant Starting
- G.E. = Grant Ending
|Tasks||Sep 2017||Oct||Nov||Dec (G.S.)||Jan 2018||Feb||Mar||Apr||May||Jun||Jul||Aug||Sep||Oct||Nov||Dec (G.E.)|
|Supervising the Wiki 4 Coop grant submission|
|Organizing grant reception in L.C. NGO and wikimedian in residence activity planing for the grant period|
|Maintaining Wiki 4 Coop schedule and report updated.|
|Lobbying in Belgium Deputy Prime Minister and Minister for development cooperation Alexander De Croo concerning D4D program to involve Belgian cooperation stakeholders in Wikimedia movement.|
|Contacting documents honers for CC.BY.SA 4.0 validation.|
|Uploading L.C. NGO files and knowledge on Wikimedia commons|
|Creating courses on French and English Wikiversity projects with L.C. NGO contain|
|Collaborating with Kiwix project to obtain plugs and forming L.C. Louvain Cooperation staff to use it.|
|Forming L.C. NGO staff and volunteers to use wikimedia projects and upload file on Wikimedia commons.|
|Creating and maintaining [[Project:Wiki 4 Coop]] pages on adequate French and English Wikimedia projects to involve communities and potential volunteers on Wiki 4 Coop porject|
|Organizing and making anthropological research, plug installation and formation of local staff during a first travel and actions on a global south L.C. projects (more detail in Talk page).|
|Keeping touch with global south L.C. NGO visited projects for technical support and evaluation on kiwix plug use.|
|Potentially start and supervise a new grant submission "Wiki 4 Coop/2" to continue collaboration between Wikimedia movement, D4D project and Belgian cooperation stakeholders.|
|Ending grant with report and evaluation.|
|Tasks||Sep 2017||Oct||Nov||Dec (G.S.)||Jan 2018||Feb||Mar||Apr||May||Jun||Jul||Aug||Sep||Oct||Nov||Dec (G.E.)|
|N°||Category||Item description||Quantity||Cost per unit||Total cost||Notes & explainaitions|
|1||Material purchased||Plugs Kiwix with SD card and wifi||10||€200||€2000||For installation and use on L.C. Global south Projects to share Kiwix off line contain with Projects audience.|
|2||Transport||Local travel for lobbying and meetings||12||€11||€131||Travel to meet Belgian cooperation stakeholders usualy localized in Brussel.|
|3||Transport||International travel to global south L.C. NGO projects||2||€2000||€4000||For anthropological researches, kiwix plugs installations and formation of local staff|
|4||Project Management||Organization and realisation of meetings, activities, works and project administrative tasks during 12 month and 251 working days (source)||251 hrs||€18||€4518||Financial support - Complete cost (€36 per hour) will be covered by NGO (Daily working time will be 1 office hours during 12 months)|
|5||Technical expertise||Staff formation and technical support on the use and enrichment of Wikimedia projects during 12 month and 251 working days (source)||251 hrs||€18||€4518||Financial support - Complete cost (€36 per hour) will be covered by NGO (Daily working time will be 1 office hours during 12 months)|
|6||Incidentals||Expenses that are not projected in the budget but may still occur||€300||€300||Return to the Wikimedia Foundation if not used|
- The L.C. NGO project should inspire a large scale D4D Belgians NGOs collaboration with Wikimedia movement.
- If large scale project works, Belgian cooperation stakeholders could get habit to collaborate with Wikimedia Movement for achieve their missions.
- Other countries could be inspired by the Belgian win win Wikimedia movement and NGO collaboration.
Measures of successEdit
- The user account user:Louvain Coopération already exist to be use for indexing files uploaded on Wikimedia commons.
- The users participation will be estimated by using magic button after creating on the user:Louvain Coopération page a list of user implicated on the project.
- Louvain Coopération NGO have the fix IP address 220.127.116.11 witch could be use as user account for non logged actions on Wikimedia projects.
- Public reports of activities and press coverage.
- Templates containing categories will be created for listing volunteers adhesion.
- Wikimedia project Volunteers on Wiki 4 Coop project pages + user templas.
- Specially Wikiversity communities where projects pages will be created to because a big part of NGO's contribution will be original didactic works.
- Wiki_Project_Med member as online medicine adviser for use of multimedia files and page edition (big part of L.C. NGO's resources are about medical topics).
- Potentially WikiJournal User Group as online adviser for use of multimedia files and page edition (an other big part of L.C. NGO's resources are about agronomic topics).
- Potentially Wikimedia Belgium as institutional partner and honer of purchased material.
- Louvain Coopération's staff as project experts in administration, agronomy, health, economy, communication, marketing, finance, illustration, web and multimedia.
- Lionel Scheepmans as expert in wikimedia projects involvement and Kiwix outreach and support.
- Kiwix team as partner for kiwix app and plug.
- Help from commons users already start.
- Link sent to WMB mailing list Done
- Messages on village pump projects Done
- Messages on user group pages (WikiMed, WikiJournal, etc) Done
- Facebook Done
Do you think this project should be selected for a Project Grant? Please add your name and rationale for endorsing this project below! (Other constructive feedback is welcome on the discussion page).
- As account for uploading contents. Louvain Coopération (talk) 14:38, 9 March 2017 (UTC)
- As fundraising and marketing manager of Louvain Coopération NGO, I fully support this project by working as adviser Feronthomas (talk) 12:16, 15 March 2017 (UTC)
- We at Kiwix know Lionel very well (and he's been a great evangelist for us in Belgium): he's actually getting a discount on the plugs because we believe there's potential for scaling. Overall the project looks good value for money, particularly with the potential extension described in Phase II. Stephane (talk) 07:52, 29 March 2017 (UTC)