Grants:Programs/Wikimedia Community Fund/SAPG 2022 Wikimedia Community User Group Uganda
This is an automatically generated Meta-Wiki page. The page was copied from Fluxx, the grantmaking web service of Wikimedia Foundation where the user has submitted their application. Please do not make any changes to this page because all changes will be removed after the next update. Use the discussion page for your feedback. The page was created by CR-FluxxBot.
- Wikimedia Community User Group Uganda
Have you received grants from the Wikimedia Foundation before?
- Applied previously and did receive a grant
Have you received grants from any non-wiki organization before?
Which organization(s) did you receive grants from?
What is your organization or group's mission?
- Our mission is to promote and create awareness of free and open access to knowledge in Uganda.
If you would like, please share any websites or social media accounts that your group or organization has. (optional)
- Twitter https://twitter.com/wikiuganda
Meta https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Community_User_Group_Uganda Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wiki.uganda/ Blog: https://wikiuganda.wordpress.com/ Instagram:https://www.instagram.com/wikiuganda/
Please state the title of your proposal. This will also be a title for the Meta-Wiki page.
- SAPG 2022 Wikimedia Community User Group Uganda
Where will this proposal be implemented?
Indicate if it is a local, international, or regional proposal and if it involves several countries? (optional)
If you have answered regional or international, please write the country names and any other information that is useful for understanding your proposal.
What are the main challenges you are trying to solve and your proposed solution?
- In Uganda today there is limited curated, freely accessible and reusable content on notable persons, customs, norms , heritage, institutions, languages, environment and settlements. There is also a gender digital divide in terms of participants and online content created.
In 2021, Wikimedia community User group Uganda executed projects that targeted community growth through increasing the number of editors, diversifying content and contributors and accessibility. This involved different language communities i.e English and Luganda, which has seen an increase in the number of editors of local language wikipedia and better quality articles. Using partnerships during the International Women’s day in March, wikigap has led to a creation of improved articles about prominent women in Uganda and higher female participation.
What has led to the success of the wikigap campaign has been the consistency of the event every year.
The documentation of heritage, nature, and other topics through photographic competitions has led to an increase in awareness of open knowledge and platforms. It has a low level barrier of participation and high level of excitement which brings in new editors.
Through the diversity program we have targeted marginalised groups e.g refugees, human rights groups, and local amatuer sports activities in association football. This has led to awareness of Wikimedia projects, and consequential development of wikimedia communities across the country as well as partnerships outside Uganda, for example in south sudan.
Wikimedia user group Uganda will be starting the process of developing a strategic plan in the year 2022. Which will also lead to the development of organisation policies.
What is the main objective of your proposal?
- The main objective is to increase the number and diversity of contributors on the wikimedia projects which in turn will lead to the increased content, images and videos about Uganda. This will be achieved through collaboration and creating awareness.
700 images 100 reused Images 200 New editors or contributors 500 content pages
Describe your main strategies to achieve this objective and the main activities you will be developing as part of these strategies.
- Diversity and Content Generation
This will focus on identifying and filling content gaps that exist within online content about Uganda. Through yearly events organised with specific themes.These programs will increase content on Wikimedia projects eg. wikipedia, wikidata, commons and wikisource. Through the identification of repeat editors , we will recruit them into the community and focus on the needs of these editors and how to improve their future edits.
- 2.Wiki for Human Rights
This is a month-long event focused on the creation of content about human rights activists, events and policies.
- 3.Wiki for refugees
This will entail workshops and photographic documentation in the refugee camps.
- 4.Wiki soccerthons
This will involve promotion of Wikimedia projects with a diverse group of volunteers involved in association football, having made an outreach in 2021, the focus will be around content generation in 2022 through editathons, and photo competitions. Education The Education Program focuses on the use of open education resources i.e luganda wikipedia in the education sector. This will be through workshops that would involve training the trainer. Where we focus on passing skills to educators who in turn can train others.This will be done as follows; Training the trainer Translator thon competitions School and university outreach GLAM Recruitment and local support for local librarians to participate in the 2 learning cohorts of the continental Wikipedia in African Libraries Project 1Lib1Ref campaign (bi-annually) Community outreach and Introductory sessions for various GLAM institutions through their collective associations eg ULIA (Uganda Libraries Association),UgCLIA (Uganda Community Libraries Association), CUUL (Consortium of Uganda University Libraries) Introduction and edit-a-thons for Wikimedia Projects particularly WikiData, Wikipedia and Commons Photographic Competition Three photographic competitions will be carried out i.e WLA, WLM and WLE. These will involve Photo Walks, Wikicamps, Upload sessions and edit-a-thons
Please state if you will be carrying out any of these activities within your programs? Select all that apply.
- Organizing Meet-up online, Organizing Meet-up offline, Workshops, Edit-A-Thons, Train-the-Trainer, Photowalk, Contest, Photo/Media campaign, Wiki Loves campaign, Central organizing for movement campaign
Are you running any in-person events or activities?
Please state if your proposal aims to work on any of the identified content knowledge gaps?
- Content Gender gap, Age (regency) , Geography, Language, Socioeconomic Status, Cultural background, ethnicity, religion, racial
Please state if your proposal includes any of these areas or thematic focus.
- Education, Culture, heritage or GLAM , Human Rights, Open Technology, Diversity
Will your work focus on involving participants from any underrepresented communities? Select all categories that apply.
- Geographic , Linguistic / Language, Socioeconomic status, Age, Digital Access
Please tell us more about your target participants.
- Geographic : we shall be working with contributors across the whole country. Through programs under diversity and content generation, GlAM and photographic competitions. The events will take part in the different regions in Uganda i.e North, West, east and central Uganda. Emphasis will be on encouraging female participation.
Ethnic/racial/religious or cultural background : Uganda is a multi cultural country with over 56 tribes. We encourage participation across all cultures but don't single out particular cultures as we have great challenges politically. Linguistic / Language : We target English and Luganda Speakers. The national Language of Uganda is English and Luganda is a predominant business language. Currently , luganda is the only Ugandan language with a wikipedia project and as such becomes our focus of improvement. Socioeconomic status : We work with Young volunteers who are either in university or fresh graduates. We groom them to be leaders in the community and contributors. This gives them purpose as they navigate their personal growth and development. Age : Our main age group are the youth as they have more capacity to volunteer their time and learn. Our events are open to all age groups and encourage participation from all but we see higher participation from the youth . Digital Access : Participants are required to have a laptop or access to one for participation
Do you have plans to work with other Wikimedia communities, groups or affiliates in your country, or in other countries, to implement this proposal?
Please tell us about these connections online and offline and how you have let Wikimedia communities know about this proposal.
- This Proposal is shared on the user group discussion page(https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wikimedia_Community_User_Group_Uganda#SAPG_2022) and links will be shared through our community social media lines
We held Annual General Meeting where we invited community representatives to hear about the annual plan. The usergroup Meta Page will be used to document activities Share on social media - twitter, facebook, telegram East African Wikimedians will be engaged as well through meta and social channels
Will you be working with other external, non-Wikimedian partners to implement this proposal?
Please describe these partnerships.
- we plan to partner with swedish embasy to carry out wikigap. They will cover event costs
How do you hope to sustain or expand the work carried out in this proposal after the grant?
- In most programs we do , we try to have external partners in implementation which entails a program that is beyond the user group. Mainly our focus is continued exposure of volunteer community and ensuring continued participation which has led to allround volunteers involved in all projects of the organisation and as such give continuity of programs beyond individuals.
We also ensure mentorship of volunteers , one could look at it as training future leaders. Then again this ensures programs are not individual or organization based and as such can go beyond those entities.
Do you have the team that is needed to implement this proposal?
- 1. Erina Mukuta (username :Erinamukuta)
Erina is the program lead for the education program which entails Project Management Training Event coordinator Reporting Erina is also incharge of administration work related to grant application , monitoring and financial reporting
- 2. Katerrega Geoffrey(Username:Kateregga1 )
Geoffrey is part of the diversity and content creation team . He is a lead for wikiGAp, Wiki for Refugees and wiki loves monuments. In these events, he assumes the same roles as Project Management Training Event coordinator Reporting
Geoffrey is the communication lead for the user group in charge of emails and social media channels
- 3. Alice Kibombo (User: Akibombo)
Alice is the GLAM program lead which also entails roles such as; Project Management Training Event coordinator Reporting
- 4. Sandra Aceng(User: Sandra Aceng )
Sandra leads the wiki for human events but is also a support to diversity and content generation programs.
- 5. Douglas Sebagala(User: Douglaseru)
Douglas is part of the diversity and content creation team as a lead for the wikisoccerthon program. The roles entailed are also Project Management Training Event coordinator Reporting
He also carries out administrative work in regards to partnerships grant application and monitoring
- 6. Accounting
This is outsourced to a company
- 7. Legal
This is outsourced
If we hired an administrator , they would be incharge of email communications, reporting, and accounting support.
In what ways do you think your proposal most contributes to the Movement Strategy 2030 recommendations. Select a maximum of three options that most apply.
- Increase the Sustainability of Our Movement, Provide for Safety and Inclusion, Invest in Skills and Leadership Development
Please state if your organization or group has a Strategic Plan that can help us further understand your proposal. You can also upload it here. (optional)
Learning, Sharing, and EvaluationEdit
What do you hope to learn from your work in this fund proposal?
- How many people edited beyond an event ?
Which events recruited long term volunteers? What style of training had a higher retention of volunteers?
Enter a description of the metric and a number in the target field. If the metric does not apply to you, enter N/A for not applicable.
|Number of participants||GLAM 50
EDUCATION 50 DIVERSITY AND CONTENT 150
|Number of editors||GLAM - New editors 10 old editors 5
EDUCATION -New editors 10 old editors 5 DIVERSITY AND CONTENT -New editors 20 old editors 10
|Number of organizers||GLAM - 2
EDUCATION -3 DIVERSITY AND CONTENT -5
|Wikipedia||GLAM - 50
EDUCATION -50 DIVERSITY AND CONTENT -150
|Wikimedia Commons||wla 200
wlm 200 wle 2000
If for some reason your proposal will not measure these core metrics please provide an explanation.
Enter a description of the metric and a number in the target field. If the metric does not apply to you, enter N/A for not applicable.
|Number of editors that continue to participate/retained after activities||N/A||10|
|Number of organizers that continue to participate/retained after activities||N/A||3|
|Number of strategic partnerships that contribute to longer term growth, diversity and sustainability||N/A||2|
|Feedback from participants on effective strategies for attracting and retaining contributors||N/A||N/A|
|Diversity of participants brought in by grantees||N/A||N/A|
|Number of people reached through social media publications||N/A||N/A|
|Number of activities developed||N/A||N/A|
|Number of volunteer hours||N/A||N/A|
What other information will you be collecting to learn about the impact of your work? (optional)
- Views of pages
Impact assessment of programs volunteer surveys
What tools would you use to measure each metric selected?
Dashboard Google analytics
How do you hope to share these results so that others can learn from them?
- Make a short presentation of the experience, Create a training workshop to show others what we learned, Share results on social media, Share results with our communities, I would like to receive support from the Foundation to discover how I can share my learning, Share it on Meta-Wiki
What is the amount you are requesting from WMF? Please provide this amount in your local currency. If you are thinking about a multi-year fund, please provide the amount for the first year.
- 194100000 UGX
What is this amount in US Currency (to the best of your knowledge)?
- 54052 USD
Do you want to apply for multi-year funding?
If you have calculated it, please provide an estimate of the year 2 or year 3 request.
Please share your budget for this proposal.
What do you do to make sure there is a good management of funds?
- Accountability is done on a general expense tracker where a receipt or invoice is attached to each expense line. An outsourced accountant reviews and creates financials , files taxes and donor financial reports. We use an online accounting software which can also be accessed by the foundation staff upon request
How will you contribute towards creating a supportive environment for participants using the UCOC and Friendly Space Policy?
- This policy will be shared with the community both offline and online engagements. The group will allocate a trust and safety desk to follow up.
Please use this optional space to upload any documents that you feel are important for further understanding your proposal.
- Staffing plan or organogram:
- Other public document(s):
By submitting your proposal/funding request you agree that you are in agreement with the Application Privacy Statement, WMF Friendly Space Policy and the Universal Code of Conduct.
- Please add any feedback to the grant discussion page only. Any feedback added here will be removed.