Grants:Programs/Wikimedia Community Fund/Rapid Fund/Wikipedia Edit-a-thon Outreach at Nnamdi Azikiwe University (NAU), Awka:Wikipedia pages wanting categories (ID: 21864432)
This is an automatically generated Meta-Wiki page. The page was copied from Fluxx, the grantmaking web service of Wikimedia Foundation where the user has submitted their application. Please do not make any changes to this page because all changes will be removed after the next update. Use the discussion page for your feedback. The page was created by CR-FluxxBot.
- Please provide your main Wikimedia Username.
- Please provide the Usernames of people related to this proposal.
- Are you a member of any Wikimedia affiliate or group, including informal groups like Wiki Fan Clubs, emerging language communities, not recognized Wikimedia groups etc.? Please list them all.
Yes, I am a member of the Igbo Wikimedians User Group and the co-ordinator of Ig Wiki Librarians Hub.
- M. Please state the title of your proposal. This will also be the Meta-Wiki page title.
Wikipedia Edit-a-thon Outreach at Nnamdi Azikiwe University (NAU), Awka: Wikipedia pages wanting categories
- Q. Indicate if it is a local, international, or regional proposal and if it involves several countries? (optional)
- Q2. If you have answered regional or international, please write the country names and any other information that is useful for understanding your proposal.
- R. If you would like, please share any websites or social media accounts that your group or organization has.
- 1. What is the change that you are trying to bring about and why is this important.
The challenge this event will solve is clearing the pages wanting categories backlog. It is important because it will help Wikipedia patrons to locate articles easily after this pages have been categorized by these participants.
- 2. Describe your main approaches or strategies to achieve these changes and why you think they will be effective.
I intend using librarians and library students because librarians are aware of importance of categorization. Adding categories to pages is similar to what is done in libraries known as classification. So these participants will be shown how to use hotcat gadget for categories.
- 3. What are the activities you will be developing and delivering as part of these approaches or strategies?
The activities would be campus campaign on Wikipedia editathon, registration of new editors, training session, interactive session (questions and answers), editathon contest, and follow ups
- 4. Are your activities part of a Wikimedia movement campaign or event? If so, please select the relevant campaign below. If so, please select all the relevant campaigns from the list below. If "other", please state which.
Other (please specify)
- Wikipedia pages wanting categories
- 5. Do you have the team that is needed to implement this proposal?
Volunteer experienced editors are user: AfricanLibrarian and user:Akwugo
- 6. Please state if your proposal aims to work to bridge any of the identified CONTENT knowledge gaps (Knowledge Inequity)? Select up to THREE that most apply to your work.
Content Gender gap, Topics considered to be of impact or important in the specific context, Cultural background, ethnicity, religion, racial
- 6.1 In a few sentences, explain how your work is specifically addressing this content gap (or Knowledge inequity) to ensure a greater representation of knowledge.
Pages wanting categories includes articles on women, culture, ethnicity, geography, etc. Participants adding categories to these will adress the content gap.
- 7. Please state if your proposal includes any of these areas or THEMATIC focus. Select up to THREE that most apply to your work and explain the rationale for identifying these themes.
Education, Culture, heritage or GLAM , Advocacy
- 8. Will your work focus on involving participants from any underrepresented communities?
- 9. Who are the target participants and from which community? How will you engage participants before and during the activities? How will you follow up with participants after the activities?
The targeting participants are Librarians and library student from the Nnamdi Azikiwe University community. Participants will be engaged by registering on Meta-Wiki and the event dashboard. They will be exposed to Wikipedia and other Wikimedia projects, and edit-a-thon contest on adding categories to pages. Participants will be followed up through the Telegram group, they will have access to resources (slides, videos,etc) that are pinned on the telegram group. Participants will also be invited to future events.
- 10. In what ways are you actively seeking to contribute towards creating a safer, supportive, more equitable environment for participants?
I will ensure Covid19 protocols will be observed, venue will be properly secured; the location of the venue is accessible.
- 11. Please tell us about how you have let your Wikimedia communities know about the planned activities and this proposal. Use this space to describe the processes you carried out to make the community more involved in planning this proposal. Please link the on-wiki community discussion(s) around the proposals.
I informed the community about this proposal to seek suggestions and guidelines. https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Igbo_Wikimedians_User_Group
- 12. Are you aware of other Rapid Fund proposals in your local group, community, or region that are being submitted and that align with your proposed project?
- 12.1 Did you explore the possibility of doing a joint proposal with other leaders in your group?
- 12.2 How will this joint proposal allow you to have better results?
- 12.1 What was the reason for you deciding NOT to develop a joint proposal? How will you guarantee coordination efforts to make sure that you are not duplicating efforts and that you can maximise your work and joint impact.
- My community approves a maximum internal micro grant of $500 which cannot cover this project cost.
- 13. Will you be working with other external, non-Wikimedia partners to implement this proposal? Required.
- 13.1 Please describe these partnerships and what motivates the potential partner to be part of the proposal and how they add value to your work.
- 14. In what ways do you think your proposal most contributes to the Movement Strategy 2030 recommendations. Select a maximum of THREE options that most apply.
Increase the Sustainability of Our Movement, Improve User Experience, Identify Topics for Impact
Learning, Sharing, and EvaluationEdit
- 15. What do you hope to learn from your work in this fund proposal?
It will expose me to newer ideas because as I am facilitating, I'm learning and gaining more experience. I will likely meet new editors that will in future contribute to Wikimedia projects.
- 16. Based on these learning questions, what is the information or data you need to collect to answer these questions? Please register this information (as metric description) in the following spaces provided.
|Main Open Metrics||Description||Target|
- 17. Core quantitative metrics.
|Number of participants||Target participants are librarians, library students and interested participants within the community||50|
|Number of editors||Returning editors that have participanted in previous training will register for the event as well. This is to promote involvement of existing editors||20|
|Number of organizers||2|
|Wikipedia||Each participants will add categories to at least 5 pages wanting categories.||500|
- 17.1 If for some reason your proposal will not measure these core metrics please provide an explanation.
- 18. What tools would you use to measure each metric selected? Please refer to the guide for a list of tools. You can also write that you are not sure and need support.
The event dashboard wilk be used to track activities of participants
- 19. & 19.1 What is the amount you are requesting from Wikimedia Foundation? Please provide this amount in your local currency.
- 19.2 What is this amount in US Currency (to the best of your knowledge)?
- 20. Please upload your budget for this proposal or indicate the link to it.
- We/I have read the Application Privacy Statement, WMF Friendly Space Policy and Universal Code of Conduct.
Endorsements and FeedbackEdit
Please add endorsements and feedback to the grant discussion page only. Endorsements added here will be removed automatically.
Community members are invited to share meaningful feedback on the proposal and include reasons why they endorse the proposal. Consider the following:
- Stating why the proposal is important for the communities involved and why they think the strategies chosen will achieve the results that are expected.
- Highlighting any aspects they think are particularly well developed: for instance, the strategies and activities proposed, the levels of community engagement, outreach to underrepresented groups, addressing knowledge gaps, partnerships, the overall budget and learning and evaluation section of the proposal, etc.
- Highlighting if the proposal focuses on any interesting research, learning or innovation, etc. Also if it builds on learning from past proposals developed by the individual or organization, or other Wikimedia communities.
- Analyzing if the proposal is going to contribute in any way to important developments around specific Wikimedia projects or Movement Strategy.
- Analysing if the proposal is coherent in terms of the objectives, strategies, budget, and expected results (metrics).