Grants:Programs/Wikimedia Community Fund/Rapid Fund/Building Wikipedia Awareness and Trainings In Borno State (ID: 21864970)
This is an automatically generated Meta-Wiki page. The page was copied from Fluxx, the grantmaking web service of Wikimedia Foundation where the user has submitted their application. Please do not make any changes to this page because all changes will be removed after the next update. Use the discussion page for your feedback. The page was created by CR-FluxxBot.
- Please provide your main Wikimedia Username.
- Please provide the Usernames of people related to this proposal.
- Are you a member of any Wikimedia affiliate or group, including informal groups like Wiki Fan Clubs, emerging language communities, not recognized Wikimedia groups etc.? Please list them all.
Wikimedia User Group Nigeria
- M. Please state the title of your proposal. This will also be the Meta-Wiki page title.
Building Wikipedia Awareness and Trainings In Borno State
- Q. Indicate if it is a local, international, or regional proposal and if it involves several countries? (optional)
- Q2. If you have answered regional or international, please write the country names and any other information that is useful for understanding your proposal.
- R. If you would like, please share any websites or social media accounts that your group or organization has.
- 1. What is the change that you are trying to bring about and why is this important.
Lack of Awareness and Trainings about Wikipedia and Sister Projects in Borno State: Building Wikipedia Awareness and Training in Borno is aimed at establishing awareness about Wikimedia Foundation projects among the people of Borno State. It will also train and sharpen the online literacy and research skills of the youths to enable them contribute local contents which will be in form of the history, culture, tradition, schools, cuisine, tourist's areas, tribes, languages and images of Borno State to Wikipedia.
Little Content of Borno State on Wikipedia: Borno State is the second biggest state in Nigeria with a landmass of 70,898, and also has one of the oldest empires in West Africa, The Borno Empire. However, there exists little information of Borno State in English Wikipedia. There has never been any Trainings or Awareness that can train people and notify them about the projects of the Wikimedia Foundation and how they can contribute to it.
Lack of Wikimedia Community in Borno: the trainings and awareness is going establish a community of Wikipedia editors in Borno State.
- 2. Describe your main approaches or strategies to achieve these changes and why you think they will be effective.
Building Wikipedia Awareness and Training in Borno State will be using the following Strategies;
Creating awareness about Wikimedia Foundation projects in Borno State.
Training and recruiting new editors for the Wikimedia Community in Borno State.
Improving the skills of the existing editor (if any)
Adding or improving local contents about Borno State on English Wikipedia and Wikipedia Common
Creating a community of English Wikimedia Editors in Borno State
- 3. What are the activities you will be developing and delivering as part of these approaches or strategies?
Building Wikipedia Awareness and Training in Borno State will consist of four different sessions with the establishment of Wikimedia community;
Online Onboarding Session: This is aimed at introducing the participants to the Wikimedia Foundation and its activities. This will be done via zoom and the link will be publicised. This activity will be effective because of the flexibility of online activities.
Offline Onboarding Session/ Creation of Awareness: This is a one on one onboarding session of the participants. The Avenue will also be used to sensitise the community on the projects of Wikimedia Foundation.
Online Training Session: This is strictly training on how to improve or contribute contents on Wikipedia and sister projects.
Offline Training Session and edit-a-thon: This is hands-on keyboard training where the new editors will be given the avenue to practice what they have learnt and existing editors will have the chance of polishing their skills. After the training, there will be a three weeks Edit-a-thon where winners will be awarded a certificate of excellence each.
Creating a group of Wikimedia editors in Borno State for sustainability of the project
- 4. Are your activities part of a Wikimedia movement campaign or event? If so, please select the relevant campaign below. If so, please select all the relevant campaigns from the list below. If "other", please state which.
Other (please specify)
- Creating Awareness about Wikimedia Projects
Training New Editors on how to contribute local contents to Wikipedia and Wikipedia Common
Creating a group of Wikimedia Editors
- 5. Do you have the team that is needed to implement this proposal?
Bukky658 is a volunteer and a certified trainer of the reading Wikipedia in the classroom program, the Project lead for WikiGLAM Awareness for Librarians in Kwara State, the project lead for Wikidata for Libraries and notable Librarians in Kwara State, the first prize winner of Wiki Activate 2021 and the organiser of Wikimedia Fan Club, Kwara State University Awareness Campaign. She is a facilitator of the project.
Gwanki is volunteer an experienced Wikimedia editor and an Administrator on the Hausa Wikipedia. He has organised and facilitated several Wikipedia projects Awareness in Kano Metropolis. He is a facilitator of the project.
Ibjaja055 is volunteer and an experienced Wikimedia editor. He is a volunteer and the overall winner of the edit-a-thon of Wikipedia Awareness and Training in Gombe. The Lead participant at the WikiProject Public Domain Contest Nigeria, a member of Wikimedia User Group Nigeria. He is the organiser of the project.
- 6. Please state if your proposal aims to work to bridge any of the identified CONTENT knowledge gaps (Knowledge Inequity)? Select up to THREE that most apply to your work.
Cultural background, ethnicity, religion, racial
- 6.1 In a few sentences, explain how your work is specifically addressing this content gap (or Knowledge inequity) to ensure a greater representation of knowledge.
Borno State is a heterogeneous state with different people with numerous cultural backgrounds, ethnicities and races. The contents of the programme will prioritize bridging the information gap by documenting them on English Wikipedia and also facilitates the uploading of Wikipedia Commons of heritage and historical places of Borno State
- 7. Please state if your proposal includes any of these areas or THEMATIC focus. Select up to THREE that most apply to your work and explain the rationale for identifying these themes.
Culture, heritage or GLAM , Other
- Creating awareness about Wikimedia Foundation
Training of new editors
- 8. Will your work focus on involving participants from any underrepresented communities?
Geographic , Ethnic/racial/religious or cultural background, Linguistic / Language
- 9. Who are the target participants and from which community? How will you engage participants before and during the activities? How will you follow up with participants after the activities?
Building Wikipedia Awareness and Trainings in Borno State project is an open proposal for Borno State Community. No prior experience with Wikimedia is needed to participate. We hope to engage these participants by working with students' union and writing organisations where the target audience are already actively participating as intellectual members. The call for participation will be done through effective local communication channels such as posters, social media and through students' union leaders.
During the project, I and the team member I will be actively involved in facilitating the training and also making sure that the participants get the act and art of contributing to Wikipedia and sister projects. Also, will be monitoring the three weeks online edit-a-thon for the new editors to make sure that Wikipedia is not vandalised out of ignorance.
At the end, the project will contribute and support wikipedia and wikimedia Commons in knowledge building as well as total development of wikimedia movement through relevant article development, creating more active editors and good quality photo uploading.
To ensure the sustainability of the project, I will Maintain tight contact with the participants involved in the project by creating WhatsApp group titled Borno State Wikipedia Editors' Community where issues related to the development of Wikimedia projects will be the subject matter. Also, information on the latest wikipedia events and workshops will be shared on it.
- 10. In what ways are you actively seeking to contribute towards creating a safer, supportive, more equitable environment for participants?
The General friendly space policy for Wikimedia events will be summarised and be read at the beginning of each event to remind the participants and the organisers of the importance of friendly space policy. In addendum, the following 24 hours phone numbers will be made available throughout the events; The organisers, Local hotel/venue security Local law enforcement Local sexual assault hotline Local emergency and non-emergency medical services Local taxi company
- 11. Please tell us about how you have let your Wikimedia communities know about the planned activities and this proposal. Use this space to describe the processes you carried out to make the community more involved in planning this proposal. Please link the on-wiki community discussion(s) around the proposals.
I have informed them at the Wikimedia User Group Nigeria for their suggestions and inputs. The link can be found here https://meta.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wikimedia_User_Group_Nigeria#Community_Notification_32
- 12. Are you aware of other Rapid Fund proposals in your local group, community, or region that are being submitted and that align with your proposed project?
- 12.1 Did you explore the possibility of doing a joint proposal with other leaders in your group?
- 12.2 How will this joint proposal allow you to have better results?
- Wikipedia Training and Awareness was carried out in Gombe, a neighbouring state, last month. We are going to recruit the Project Lead (Atibrarian) to also share his experience with the organisers and the participants.
- 12.1 What was the reason for you deciding NOT to develop a joint proposal? How will you guarantee coordination efforts to make sure that you are not duplicating efforts and that you can maximise your work and joint impact.
- 13. Will you be working with other external, non-Wikimedia partners to implement this proposal? Required.
- 13.1 Please describe these partnerships and what motivates the potential partner to be part of the proposal and how they add value to your work.
The Borno State University Students Union: The body will help to mobilise and communicate with the students by using their social media platforms.
- 14. In what ways do you think your proposal most contributes to the Movement Strategy 2030 recommendations. Select a maximum of THREE options that most apply.
Increase the Sustainability of Our Movement, Improve User Experience
Learning, Sharing, and EvaluationEdit
- 15. What do you hope to learn from your work in this fund proposal?
Did the project create community awareness about Wikimedia projects in Borno State?
Did the project train new editors to have the required skills to edit Wikimedia projects?
Was the project beneficial to the existing editors in Borno State?
Did the participants contribute local contents such as history, culture, tradition, schools, cuisine, tourist areas, tribes, languages and images of Borno State to Wikipedia?
Did the project create a sustainable group of Wikimedia editors in Borno State?
- 16. Based on these learning questions, what is the information or data you need to collect to answer these questions? Please register this information (as metric description) in the following spaces provided.
|Main Open Metrics||Description||Target|
|Creating Community Awareness about Wikimedia Projects||Students Union body, online and offline outlets will be used to create a massive awareness about the aims, goals and objectives of Wikimedia Foundation||50|
|Training of new editors||70% of the participants will be new editors and they will be trained by experienced Wikimedia editors in four different sessions. Two online and two offline sessions||35|
|Training of existing editors||30% of the participants will be existing editors and they will also benefit from the experience of the seasoned facilitators||15|
|Contribution of local contents to Wikipedia||A three weeks closely monitored edit-a-thon will be created that will ensure massive contribution/improvement of local contents about Borno State.||100|
|Creating a sustainable group of Wikimedia editors in Borno State||After the programme, a WhatsApp group titled "Borno State Wikimedia Editors" will be created to sustain the project and ensure the continuity of their contributions to Wikimedia||1|
- 17. Core quantitative metrics.
|Number of participants||Online and offline participants||50|
|Number of editors||70% will be new editors while 30% will be returning editors||50|
|Number of organizers||Facilitators - 2
Co-ordinator - 1 Community volunteers 5
|Wikipedia||Creating/ improving articles on languages, ethnic, culture, foods and tourist attractions in Borno State||80|
|Wikimedia Commons||Contributing original and non-copyright images of historical and places of heritage in Borno State||20|
- 17.1 If for some reason your proposal will not measure these core metrics please provide an explanation.
- 18. What tools would you use to measure each metric selected? Please refer to the guide for a list of tools. You can also write that you are not sure and need support.
Number of participants: Program and Events Dashboard
Number of Editors: Program and Events Dashboard
Number of Organisers: Program and Events Dashboard
Number of new content contributions to Wikimedia Projects: Program and Events Dashboard and Wikimedia Hashtag Tools
- 19. & 19.1 What is the amount you are requesting from Wikimedia Foundation? Please provide this amount in your local currency.
- 19.2 What is this amount in US Currency (to the best of your knowledge)?
- 20. Please upload your budget for this proposal or indicate the link to it.
- We/I have read the Application Privacy Statement, WMF Friendly Space Policy and Universal Code of Conduct.
Endorsements and FeedbackEdit
Please add endorsements and feedback to the grant discussion page only. Endorsements added here will be removed automatically.
Community members are invited to share meaningful feedback on the proposal and include reasons why they endorse the proposal. Consider the following:
- Stating why the proposal is important for the communities involved and why they think the strategies chosen will achieve the results that are expected.
- Highlighting any aspects they think are particularly well developed: for instance, the strategies and activities proposed, the levels of community engagement, outreach to underrepresented groups, addressing knowledge gaps, partnerships, the overall budget and learning and evaluation section of the proposal, etc.
- Highlighting if the proposal focuses on any interesting research, learning or innovation, etc. Also if it builds on learning from past proposals developed by the individual or organization, or other Wikimedia communities.
- Analyzing if the proposal is going to contribute in any way to important developments around specific Wikimedia projects or Movement Strategy.
- Analysing if the proposal is coherent in terms of the objectives, strategies, budget, and expected results (metrics).