Grants:Programs/Wikimedia Community Fund/Activating Botswana 2022/23
This is an automatically generated Meta-Wiki page. The page was copied from Fluxx, the grantmaking web service of Wikimedia Foundation where the user has submitted their application. Please do not make any changes to this page because all changes will be removed after the next update. Use the discussion page for your feedback. The page was created by CR-FluxxBot.
- 1. Shoodho
- 2. Kolobetsoo
G. Have you received grants from the Wikimedia Foundation before?
- Applied previously and did receive a grant
H. Have you received grants from any non-wiki organization before?
H.1 Which organization(s) did you receive grants from?
M. Do you have a fiscal sponsor?
M1. Fiscal organization name.
R. Where will this proposal be implemented?
S. Please indicate whether your work will be focused on one country (local), more than one or several countries in your region (regional) or has a cross-regional (global) scope:
S1. If you have answered regional or international, please write the country names and any other information that is useful for understanding your proposal.
T. If you would like, please share any websites or social media accounts that your group or organization has. (optional)
- These are social media site we usual use to create engagement and share our activities:
Facebook:WIKI LOVES AFRICA-Botswana Facebook : Art & Feminism BW Facebook : Wikimedia Community User Group Botswana
M. Do you have a fiscal sponsor?
M1. Fiscal organization name.
1. What is the overall vision of your organization and how does this proposal contribute to this? How does this proposal connect to past work and learning?
- As the Wikimedia Botswana Usergroup Community has been derecognized for about 3 years now and have been running events for on a individual grants with no strong ties to develop a solid community with a structured and planned activities to engage volunteers and retain editors. In 2019 we have been annually running Wiki Loves Africa furthermore we started hosting Wiki Loves Women and Art & Feminism in 2021and planning to host them again this yea with more events to recreate and help build our community.
Therefore rather than having reactive projects to implement it would bring a lot of change to the community to have better planned events to implement to help:
- 1. To increase the number of new editors and the retention ratio
- 2. To promote and increase age and gender diversity content
- 3. Our mission is to promote and create awareness of free and open access to knowledge in Botswana.
- 4. Increase Participation - cultivating sustainable communities of Setswana content creators, librarians to create content about Botswana & Africa both in Setswana and English languages.
2. What is the change that you are trying to bring about and why is this important?
- The first challenge is to increase the content and Bridge the gender content gap in Wikimedia projects (the most important being Wikipedia) in Setswana and English language. To achieve this, we will hold various competitions (Article Contests, Photography Contests which will be on the Setswana and English Wikipedia. This will increase more articles in our native Languages nd content about Botswana.
The second challenge is to increase the volunteers in Wikimedia project editors. (such as Photography contests and Article contests). These activities have parallel aims of improving content and attracting more participation from the target groups.
To address this challenge and to attract new volunteers and participants in the Wikimedia project in Botswana, we will carry out the following projects: 1- We conduct active training, workshops with students and librarians to increase awareness and implement editathons in educational institutions and for interested parties to recruit new editors and retain existing editors.
3. Describe your main approaches or strategies to achieve these changes and why you think they will be effective.
- With having only about 722 articles in Setswana https://tn.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page , this indicates that there is a huge content gap and underrepresentation about Botswana on Wiki in diverse areas such as culture, notable people, art and monuments, as well as having articles in our native language. The below strategies have been choosen to mitigate the challenges we have such as bridging the content gap in underrepresented communities, increase more articles in our native language, creating awareness about Wikimedia projects for people to understand what it is and how they can contribute and attract newbies and retain editors.
- 1. Develop diverse content and bridge content in underrepresented communities Botswana both in Setswana and English language.
- 2. Create engagement in setswana Wikipedia challenge editathon to create more articles in Setswana language.
- 3. Create awareness and host awareness campaigns through a youtube channel, sharing editing tutorials, panel discussion about Wikimedia Projects.
- 4. Diversity and Content Generation
This will focus on identifying and filling content gaps that exist within online content about Botswana. Through yearly events organized with specific themes.These programs will increase content on Wikimedia projects eg. wikipedia, Wikiquote, and commons. Through the identification of repeat editors , we will recruit them into the community and focus on the needs of these editors and how to improve their future edits.
4. What are the activities you will be developing and delivering as part of these approaches or strategies?
- The community of Botswana aim to focus on the following (diversity, capacity, access, flexibility and awareness): hence we are planning to host the following projects;
- Setswana Wikipedia Challenge - one of the events where we train the community to create more articles about Botswana and notable people in our native language Setswana. Hence with the great relation we have with University of Botswana Librarians we believe that we will be able to edit more articles in Setswana language especially with the great qualification background of the Librarians to edit quality articles.
- WikiGap, WLW, Artfeninism edit-a-thons - The Botswana community members have close relations with other established Wikimedian communities such as the Wikimedia Uganda Community user group who have hosted several events in the gender gap diversity and inclusion are, therefore we believe we would be able to get support and guidance on best practices to host such events and have the best outcome by also engaging more female editors.
- The Wiki Loves events gives the chapter a chance to enhance coverage of Botswana topics on Wikipedia by generating photographic content to illustrate relevant articles. We have been hosting these events since 2019.
The Librarian Workshop is mainly for the librarians as well as newbies to create quality articles about Botswana both in English and Setswana language.
As we aim to re-engage inactive editors in the community as we reactivate our user group, all these projects will be a way to build momentum and help us rebuild the community with a more structured timeline and dedicated time events to increase collaboration as well as retain volunteers and attract newbies as well. The main outcomes for the community user group are as follows;
- Increasing community diversity
- Grow number of articles in Setswana.
- Increasing public access to free knowledge through campaigns and panel discussions
5. Do you want to apply for multi-year funding?
5.1 If yes, provide a brief overview of Year 2 and Year 3 of the proposed plan and how this relates to the current proposal and your strategic plan?
6. Please include a timeline (operational calendar) for your proposal.
- Link to timeline: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1E1AKR8ap7DwCLInxNLu9xYH9CLhOsLc6rC96aoFwGTg/edit?usp=sharing
7. Do you have the team that is needed to implement this proposal?
- 1.Candy Khohliwe, Program Coordinator ,Responsible for the overall project implementation,evaluation and reporting.
- 2. Oteng Kolobetso, Project Assistant - help in overseeing all projects.
The following are links that we benchmarked the Botswana pay:
- 1. https://www.payscale.com/research/BW/Skill=Marketing_Communications/Salary
- 2. https://www.paylab.com/bw/salaryinfo/administration/project-coordinator?lang=en
8. Please state if your proposal aims to work to bridge any of the identified CONTENT knowledge gaps (Knowledge Inequity)? Select up to THREE that most apply to your work.
- Content Gender gap, Age (regency) , Geography, Language, Important Topics (topics considered to be of impact or important in the specific context), Cultural background, ethnicity, religion, racial
8.1 In a few sentences, explain how your work is specifically addressing this content gap (or Knowledge inequity) to ensure a greater representation of knowledge.
- 1. Outreach to local communities and organisations with similar mission and goals to bridging content gap and engage media houses/ use social media to expose the underrepresented communities content.
- 2. Visibility and impact: Share the activities that we do to bridge the content gap with other Wikimedia communities
- 3. We will maintain participants both online and offline by strategising the communication channels via emails and email newsletters and social media engagement.
9. Please state if your proposal includes any of these areas or THEMATIC focus. Select up to THREE that most apply to your work and explain the rationale for identifying these themes.
- Education, Culture, heritage or GLAM , Diversity
10. Will your work focus on involving participants from any underrepresented communities? Please note, we had previously asked about inclusion and diversity in terms of CONTENTS, in this question we are asking about the diversity of PARTICIPANTS. Select up to THREE that most apply to your work.
- Gender Identity, Geographic , Ethnic/racial/religious or cultural background, Digital Access
11. What are your strategies for engaging participants, particularly those that currently are non-Wikimedia?
- -To bridge the content gap and gender content gap in Setswana and English language - promoting knowledge in Setswana and aiding Setswana speakers to find information easily.
- Create more awareness and increase in the number of editors of local language wikipedia and better quality articles bridge the gender digital divide on online content and create exposure on WM projects.
- Increase Participation - cultivating sustainable communities of Setswana content creators and English editors such as researchers, students and librarians in Botswana to build and increase more information about Botswana.
12. In what ways are you actively seeking to contribute towards creating a safer, supportive, more equitable environment for participants and promoting the UCOC and Friendly Space Policy, and/or equivalent local policies and processes?
- This policy will be shared with the community both offline and online engagements. The group will allocate a trust and safety desk to follow up. Uphold to sharing Youth protection policy and gender balance policy to ensure safety and equity in the community.
13. Do you have plans to work with Wikimedia communities, groups, or affiliates in your country, or in other countries, to implement this proposal?
13.1 If yes, please tell us about these connections online and offline and how you have let Wikimedia communities know about this proposal.
- We have had a meeting with the Wikimedia Uganda Community to work together similar arts and gender gap projects. We are also collaborating with Black Lunch Table projects and Wiki In Africa projects, such as Wiki Loves Women.
14. Will you be working with other external, non-Wikimedian partners to implement this proposal?
14.1 Please describe these partnerships and what motivates the potential partner to be part of the proposal and how they add value to your work.
15. How do you hope to sustain or expand the work carried out in this proposal after the grant?
- - Increase our impact and scope by scaling to other projects and also identifying other enthusiastic and devoted members to work with within our community.
- Carry out project analysis, surveys to find the impacts created using available metrics counting tools ,challenges faced and how best to address them.
16. What kind of risks do you anticipate and how would you mitigate these. This can include factors such as external/contextual issues that may affect implementation, as well as internal issues, such as governance/leadership changes.
- If a lockdown was to happen in my country we would host most events virtually with regular online meet-up to build the community momentum and retain it.
We are small team and a growing community, in the instance where we realise we need more capacity we can identify active volunteers and share tasks with to successfully carry out projects.
Being a group of individual we may need some support official documentations to show our association with WMF inorder to help us build partners with other local organisations, hence support from WMF would be vital to accomplish this.
17. In what ways do you think your proposal most contributes to the Movement Strategy 2030 recommendations. Select a maximum of three options that most apply.
- Increase the Sustainability of Our Movement, Provide for Safety and Inclusion, Invest in Skills and Leadership Development, Identify Topics for Impact, Innovate in Free Knowledge
18. Please state if your organization or group has a Strategic Plan that can help us further understand your proposal. You can also upload it here.
Learning, Sharing, and EvaluationEdit
19. What do you hope to learn from your work in this fund proposal?
- 1. What makes participants more engaged and willing to continue participating?
- 2. How can we create a sustainable movement of volunteers and content creators?
- 3. What activities are more effective for generating content around various topics on each Wikimedia project?
- 4. What are the strategies that help generate the skills needed to promote youth volunteers as organizers of future activities?
20. Based on these learning questions, what is the information or data you need to collect to answer these questions? Please register this information (as metric description) in the following space provided.
|Number of participants||New participants - 60 to increase awareness on WM projects.
Returning participants - 5
|Number of organisers||3 organisers for events||5|
|Improved and new articles about Botswana||Wikipedia - 100 improved and new articles about Botswana||100|
|New or improved Wikiquotes articles on Botswana women||Wikiquote, Increase the number of new or improved Wikiquotes articles on Botswana women - 100||100|
|Number of new images on WikiCommons||WikiCommons, Add images related to culture, notable people and settlements - 300||400|
Here are some additional metrics that you can use if they are relevant to your work. Please note that this is just an optional list, mostly of quantitative metrics. They may complement the qualitative metrics you have defined in the previous boxes.
|Number of editors that continue to participate/retained after activities||N/A||N/A|
|Number of organizers that continue to participate/retained after activities||N/A||N/A|
|Number of strategic partnerships that contribute to longer term growth, diversity and sustainability||N/A||N/A|
|Feedback from participants on effective strategies for attracting and retaining contributors||N/A||N/A|
|Diversity of participants brought in by grantees||N/A||N/A|
|Number of people reached through social media publications||N/A||N/A|
|Number of activities developed||N/A||N/A|
|Number of volunteer hours||N/A||N/A|
21. Additional core quantitative metrics. These core metrics will not tell the whole story about your work, but they are important for measuring some Movement-wide changes. Please try to include these core metrics if they are relevant to your work. If they are not, please use the space provided to explain why they are not relevant or why you can not capture this data. Your explanation will help us review our core metrics and make sure we are using the best ones for the movement as a whole.
|Number of participants||Number of participants||60|
|Number of editors||Number of editors that continue to participate/retained after activities||40|
|Number of organizers||Number of new organisers||5|
|Wikiquote||Number of articles and number of articles created - 100||100|
21.1 If for some reason your proposal will not measure these core metrics please provide an explanation.
22. What tools would you use to measure each metric selected?
- We will use the dashboard to track user edits and Montage for photo contests as well as the #hashtag tool
23. & 23.1 What is the amount you are requesting from WMF? Please provide this amount in your local currency. If you are thinking about a multi-year fund, please provide the amount for the first year.
- 243747.6 BWP
23.2 What is this amount in US Currency (to the best of your knowledge)?
- 20000 USD
23.3 Please upload your budget for this proposal or indicate the link to it.
- Link to Budget: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1oPHX1Cr7yYZPs_OlWilMXjFvv_8LpGHFhrI2cTSU1ok/edit?usp=sharing
23.4 Please include any additional observations or comments you would like to include about your budget.
Please use this optional space to upload any documents that you feel are important for further understanding your proposal.
- Other public document(s):
By submitting your proposal/funding request you agree that you are in agreement with the Application Privacy Statement, WMF Friendly Space Policy and the Universal Code of Conduct.
- Please add any feedback to the grant discussion page only. Any feedback added here will be removed.