- Official project name
- WMFI 2013 - Wikimaps
- Project start date (include month, day, and year)
- January 1, 2013
- Project completion date (include month, day, and year)
- December 31, 2013
- Please describe the project in 1–2 sentences
- Wikimedia Finland seeks WMF funding for the costs of the Wikimaps project to complement the existing funding for 2013. A 1-month full-time working period is required to prepare the Wikimaps activities of 2014.
- Currency requested
- Amount requested in currency requested
- € 6,838.21
- Equivalent amount in US$ on the date of this submission
- $ 9 275.31
- List the exchange rate used to calculate the amount listed in US$
- 1 Euro = 1.3563 USD (November 27, 2013, Google)
See the eligibility requirements for more information.
- What is the official name of the organization requesting this grant?
- Wikimedia Suomi ry
- Are you an organization, an individual, or an individual submitting on behalf of a group?
- Are you a for-profit entity?
- Are you able to provide local proof of nonprofit status within your country?
- Does your organization currently employ any fulltime or part-time staff or contractors?
- Primary contact name
- Tommi Kovala
- Primary contact username or email
- User:Tommikovala, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Primary contact title (position within the organization)
If this project will be executed by someone other than the primary contact for your organization, please list that person's details here:
- Project lead name
- Susanna Ånäs
- Project lead username or email
- User:Susannaanas, email@example.com
- Project lead title (position), if any
- Wikimaps Project Manager (stepping down from the Vice chair position of the board for the project)
Goals and measures of successEdit
Please briefly describe what will be accomplished if the project is successful.
- Project goal
- The funding proposal covers advocacy work for the Wikimaps initiative. We request support for the travel expenses caused by it. The proposal also includes a one-month full-time working period for preparing the Wikimaps Nordic activities of 2014.
- Wikimaps is an initiative by Wikimedia Finland to gather old maps in Wikimedia Commons, place them in world coordinates with the help of Wikimedia volunteers and start using them in different ways.
- The project brings together and further develops tools for the discovery of old maps and information about places.
- Wikimaps Nordic will focus on Nordic collaboration with memory organizations, aiding them to open their cultural heritage treasures for further reuse, and providing an environment for developing reuse possibilities with other Nordic actors of cultural heritage.
- The work will include setting the collaboration platform in action - a new site or an environment. It includes coordinating the international design & developer network consisting of individuals from Wikimedia, OpenStreetMap and some from outside the two, and preparing the Wikimedia Nordic network consisting of Nordic Wikimedia chapters, OpenStreetMap volunteers and memory institution from Finland, Sweden, Norway, Denmark and Estonia.
Measures of successEdit
- Measures of success
- The project will be successful on having the collaboration practices ready for the work carried out in 2014. This includes
- making contracts
- setting up the communities for collaboration: The Wikimaps Design & Developers monthly online meeting & the Wikimaps Nordic monthly online meetings
- setting up the governance structure for Wikimaps Nordic: Organizing / steering
- planning the kick-off workshop
- starting new accounting and budgeting practices for Wikimedia Finland
Project scope and activitiesEdit
This section describes what will happen if this project is funded. Who will do what, and when?
- List of activities
- The WMFI project coordinator of Wikimaps will work on the following tasks
- Wikimaps & Wikimaps Nordic
- Establish the Wikimaps networks (Design & Developers, Nordic) and their regular online meetings
- Prepare contracts for the Wikimaps Nordic project for 2014
- Establish new accounting and budgeting practises for Wikimedia Suomi.
- Plan the kick-off event to take place in February 2014
- Design or coordinate the design of the wikimaps.org environment
- Advocacy work for the Wikimaps & Wikimaps projects: Presenting at international events
- Project budget table
|Number||Category||Item description||Unit||Number of units||Cost per unit||Total cost||Currency||Notes|
|1||salary||Wikimaps: Wikimaps coordinator 12/1/2013-12/31/2013||month||1||3,500.00||3,500.00||€||GAC|
|2||employer costs||Wikimaps: Employer expenses||%||30||3,500.00||1,050.00||€||GAC|
|3||travel||GLAM-Wiki, London: Accommodation||GBP||3||50.00||179.88||€||GAC|
|4||fee||International Conference on the History of Cartography, Helsinki, Finland: Participation fee||admission||1||100.00||100.00||€||GAC|
|5||travel||Amsterdam Hackathon: Flights||ticket||1||280.00||280.00||€||GAC|
|6||travel||Amsterdam Hackathon: Accommodation||nights||3||30.00||90.00||€||GAC|
|7||travel||Wikimania: Flights & accommodation 7.–11.8.||invoice||1||1,576.79||1,576.79||€||GAC|
|8||fee||Wikimania: Participation fee||USD||1||79.00||62.02||€||GAC|
- Total cost of project
- € 24,116.66
- Total amount requested from the WMF Grants Program
- € 6,838.69
- Additional sources of revenue that may fund part of this project, and amounts funded
|WMFI membership fees||€ 100.00||0%|
|GAC Grant||€ 6,838.69||28%|
|Wikimedia Sverige||€ 1,384.00||6%|
|Wikimedia UK||€ 201.38||1%|
|Finnish Ministry of Culture and Education||€ 14,975.20||62%|
|WMF Participation Support||€ 617.39||3%|
View online budget:
- Requests for non-financial assistance
- We expect to be in dialogue about the best practices for funding the chapter and funding projects, combining local external funding and Wikimedia resources.
Wikimaps Nordic participantsEdit
- Wikimedia Sweden (WMSE) / Jan Ainali
- Wikimedia Finland (WMFI) / Susanna Ånäs
- Wikimedia Estonia (WMEE) / Vahur Puik
- Wikimedia Denmark (WMDK) / Ole Palnatoke Andersen
- Wikimedia Norge (WMNO) / Harald Groven
- OpenStreetMap, Estonia, Finland / Jaak Laineste, Pekka Sarkola
Wikimaps Nordic NetworkEdit
- National Archives of Finland / István Kecskeméti
- National Land Survey of Finland, Aerial Image Archive / Juha Vilhomaa (FI)
- National Board of Antiquities / Vesa Hongisto (FI)
- Helsinki Walks / Prof. Laura Kolbe (FI)
- Brages Pressarkiv, Helsinki / Jessica Parland-von Essen (FI)
- Linked Data Finland / Prof. Eero Hyvönen (FI)
- Digisam, Swedish National Archives (SE)
- Swedish National Heritage Board / Lars Lundqvist (SE)
- Foreningen Historisk Atlas / Rasmus Lorentzen (DK)
- National Museum of Denmark / Jacob R. Wang (DK)
+ informally affiliated partners & individuals
+ tentative partners
Wikimaps International communityEdit
This is a a living list. More people join and more are involved without being listed.
- Jan Ainali, Sweden, WMSE User:Ainali is the CEO of Wikimedia Sweden. Wikimaps Nordic.
- Tim Alder, Germany User:Kolossos is active in working with Wikipedia coordinates exchanging data between Wikimedia and OpenStreetMap. WIWOSM, OSMGadget. Open Historical Map.
- Ole Palnatoke Andersen, Denmark WMDK User:Palnatoke Wikimaps Nordic.
- John Andersson, Sweden User:John Andersson (WMSE) GLAM coordinator for WMSE, has taken GIS classes in predicting the effects on natural catastrophes. Wikimaps Nordic.
- Maarten Dammers, Netherlands User:Multichill Network engineer by day, Wikimedia volunteer by night. Wiki Loves Monuments, Geographicus map donation. Maps in Commons.
- Katie Filbert, USA/Germany en:User:Aude works for the Wikidata project and she is an OpenStreetMap and GLAM pioneer.
- Arun Ganesh, India User:Planemad is an interaction designer with experience designing user interfaces and working with the openstreetmap environment. Wikimaps Atlas. Open Historical Map. Wikimaps.org.
- Sean Gillies, USA en:User:Sgillies is a programmer specializing in open source GIS software, an OSM contributor, and developer of a gazetteer of Greek and Roman places called Pleiades. One of the developers of GeoJSON. Open Historical Map.
- Harald Groven, Norway WMNO User:H@r@ld. Wikimaps Nordic.
- Tuukka Hastrup, Finland Code for Europe Fellow at Forum Virium, Helsinki. Helsinki Region Transport. Participated in the One Laptop Per Child project in Peru. Wikimaps Nordic.
- Chris Helenius, Finland fi:User:Nelg Interested in aesthetics, reconstructing/compiling historical data, open data, and user-friendliness. A blog/portfolio: oranse.net. Wikimaps Nordic
- Søren Johannessen, Denmark is an OpenStreetMapper from Copenhagen, blogs in http://www.microformats.dk/. Wikimaps Nordic.
- Tomi Kauppinen, Finland is a postdoc researcher at the Aalto University, the developer of CHANGE vocabulary. Project manager and researcher in developing Finnish spatio-temporal ontology (SAPO, Suomen ajallinen paikkaontologia). Wikimaps Nordic.
- Jakub Kaniewsky, Poland en:User:Jkan997 one of authors of ShareMap creative commons maps authoring solutions.
- Jaak Laineste, Estonia CEO of OpenStreetMap Estonia, http://maakaart.ee/, http://www.letsdoitworld.org Wikimaps Nordic.
- fi:Käyttäjä:Urjanhai, Finland User of Finnish language Wikipedia since 2008 with 57 000 edits by 2013. Wikimaps Nordic.
- Hugo Lopez, France User:Yug is a graphic designer, cartographer, started and maintained Wikipedia:WikiProject_Maps/Conventions. Wikimaps Atlas.
- Andy Mabbett, UK User:Pigsonthewing Involved in Wikipedia's coordinates and Geo microformats, also an OSM mapper.
- Jeff Meyer, USA runs Global World History ATlas, an animated, map-based, storytelling environment. Administers the Open Historical Map.
- Vahur Puik, Estonia is a project manager in http://Ajapaik.ee. GLAM coordinator in Wikimedia Estonia. Wikimaps Nordic.
- Pekka Sarkola, Finland OSM in Finland. Blogs in Paikkatieto.com. OSGeo, Wikimaps Nordic.
- Daniel Schwen, Germany/USA User:Dschwen WikiMiniAtlas
- Claes Tande, Norway WMNO. Wikimaps Nordic.
- Jarosław Tuszyński, Poland/USA User:Jarekt is a Research Scientist at SAIC and a Wikimedia Commons volunteer. Maps in Commons.
- Robert Warren, Canada is a Post-doc Fellow at University of Waterloo. http://www.muninn-project.org/. Open Historical Map.
- Tim Waters, UK User:Chippyy is a geographer, OpenStreetMapper, and developer. Developer of MapWarper open source georeferencing web application. Open Historical Map. Wikimaps Warper.
See project presentations
Blog posts etc
- Pekka Sarkola: SOTM Baltics – osa III
- Jerry Clough: History Workshop at SotmBaltics
- Wikimedia Suomi: Wikimaps around the world
- Wikimedia Suomi: Wikimaps maailmanympärimatkalla
Joining the community
Event & presentation history
- GLAM-wiki, London. April 11–14 (presentation)
- Wikimedia Amsterdam Hackathon May 24–26
- ICHC2013, Helsinki. June 30–July 5 (presentation)
- State of the Map Baltics, Tartu, Estonia August 3–4 & Wikimania, Hong Kong August 7–11 (presentation)
- State of the Map, Birmingham September 6–8 (presentation)
- Meeting of the Pelagios network, New York. September 2013.
- Wikipedia Academy, Oslo, Norway. December 2013.
Expectations, quotes from the survey with our future partners in Wikimaps NordicEdit
- Help to publish the old aerial imagery
- It would bring more users to the maplibrary
- People, perhaps earlier uninterested, groups would find new interest on local history (Helsinki).
- We have lots of projects concerning open data. Wikimaps could be beneficial to these ongoing and upcoming projects.
- More Open Data is more business opportunities ;-)
- Digitization of maps. Open access to digital maps. Crowdsourced metadata around our maps. A stronger focus on "all things geo"
- Expose our collections to new customers. Promotes research and education. Justifies our digitization efforts.
- Our task is to make more cultural heritage material accessible and used digitally, anything supporting this goal is a good thing for us.
- Better support for geodata in wikipedia/wikidata. Bridging gap between OpenStreetmap, open geodata from the Norwegian mapping authority (Kartverket), better support for/better understanding of how to integrate georeferenced photos and maps.
- No idea :) But I'm sure it could benefit our community, education of our children etc.
- By creating an open data application for georeferencing map collections - by crowd-sourcers
Fit to strategyEdit
- How will this project support the key organizational objectives of
- increasing reach (more people will access or contribute to Wikipedia or our other projects),
- participation (more people actually contributing),
- quality (more content, more useful content, or higher-quality content),
- credibility (more trust in our projects),
- organizational maturity and effectiveness (how it will move you or the Wikimedia community forward),
- or financial sustainability (how it will help you achieve more in the long run)?
- This statement should address at least one of the strategic priorities listed here specifically. See WMF Grants Program criteria for decisionmaking.
- Increasing reach
- Wikimaps addresses archival and cultural heritage institutions in the Nordic countries (Finland, Sweden, Norway, Denmark and Estonia). In addition we work with the Finnish Land Survey, OpenStreetMap and open data actors. The Wikimaps project is in tight cooperation with the Open Historical Map project.
- The Wikimaps project aims to leverage tools to import maps from archives, make them usable as geographic data and further take advantage of them in Wikimedia and beyond. In this we employ new mechanisms for participation and reach new audiences. The aim is to have easy-to-use tools for historical research and storytelling at the reach of everyone.
- The aim of Wikimaps is to enhance the maps experience in WIkipedia. Wikimedia Commons should become the go-to resource for online historical maps.
- Organizational maturity and effectiveness, credibility
- The year 2014 will be an important turning point for Wikimedia Finland. We expect to mature our organization to take a role in the international development of open online resources for knowledge discovery. Working together with other open knowledge actors in Finland we hope to establish a fertile environment for innovating with open knowledge, data and culture.
- Financial sustainability
- The collaboration with Wikimedia Sverige with the Wikimaps Nordic project will allow WMFI to learn from WMSE’s experience in creating further opportunities for association’s activities.
- If the project will benefit a specific online community, please tell us.
- The mapping community in Wikimedia, Historical mapping communities, Wikimedia Commons, GLAM
- Please provide a brief statement about how the project is related to other work in the Wikimedia movement. For example, does the project fit into a work area such as GLAM, education, organizational development, editor retention, or outreach?
- The Wikimaps project relates most intensively to work done in the GLAM sector, while it will provide tools that are useful in education. By creating new ways to contribute and finding new kind of contributors it also deals with editor retention and outreach.
- If successful, will the project have the potential to be replicated successfully by other individuals, groups, or organizations? Please explain how in 1–2 sentences.
- The Wikimaps Nordic is aimed to be a replicable model. It can either expand it’s activities to global level or provide a local example to be repeated. The work will always contribute to a global whole.
- Please list other benefits to the movement here.
- The work conducted in Wikimaps creates new connections to other open knowledge actors, especially OpenStreetMap. It also brings a community of GLAM professionals inside the discussion in Wikimedia.