Grants:PEG/WM UA/Wiki Loves Earth 2015
14,932.50 USD (total)
12,332.50 USD (WMF part)
incl. 4,202.00 USD to WMUA
incl. 8,130.50 USD to WMPL
Our goal is to coordinate local editions of Wiki Loves Earth 2015 contest. 16 countries from four different continents - Europe, Asia, Africa and America - took part in the first international edition. Such projects improve international cooperation and develop links between various Wikimedia chapters, thematic organisations, user groups and other communities, especially with countries that are still in process of developing local communities.
- November 2014 - January 2015. Discussions about the timeline, participation. At the moment 5 countries have already confirmed, 3 countries would like to participate in 2015. Grant request is to be submitted.
- February 2015. The International team is to be established. Contacting countries (chapters, user groups and communities) that took part in 2014 and the ones that have expressed their desire to take part in the contest last year, but could not manage it. International project partners are to be sought. Local organisers are to start preparations of the lists.
- March 2015. Presentations in other countries are to be done. If need be, international team is to help local organisers to create lists.
- April 2015. Local and international juries are to be established. Volunteers are to be asked to help with the lists, with the uploads pre-selection process.
- May 2015. The contest is underway. Everyday a post is to be published at wikilovesearth.org, twitter and facebook accounts are to be maintained.
- June 2015. Local juries are to work with the pictures provided and to choose ten local winners. Jury tools are to be suggested.
- July 2015. International jury is to select ten international winners.
- August 2015. The winners are announced. The jury report and calendars for 2016 are to be prepared and published. The winners are contacted and awarded.
- September 2015. The report is prepared and published on Meta.
International team responsibilitiesEdit
International team is responsible for:
- setting up clear timeline, rules, documentation of best practices;
- making sure that necessary technical infrastructure for uploading, monitoring tools are created and maintained;
- preparation of materials (leaflets, posters and press releases etc) to be used and/or built upon by national organisations;
- evaluating the project & competition as a whole;
- coordinating of national contests and organisers;
- supporting national organizers by specific suggestions (mostly online), collecting and answering questions, monitor relevant mailing lists;
- reporting on the use of budget at the end of the project;
- communicating with relevant staff at Wikimedia Foundation, fiscal sponsor (if applicable) and international partners;
- design and distribution of photo calendar or similar products, souvenirs, diplomas and prizes;
- maintaining wikilovesearth.org and social media channels with the necessary information;
- setting up jury processes (finding suitable jury members for the international jury, collecting results of national competitions, supporting the jury in their process, maintain timeline);
- Wikimedia Commons
- Wikimedia projects in national languages of the participating countries: Arabic, German, French, Polish, Portuguese, Spanish, Ukrainian etc.
- Wikimedia projects in other languages (via illustrating the articles)
Fit with strategyEdit
What crucial thing will the project try to change or benefit in the Wikimedia movement? Please select the Wikimedia strategic priority(ies) that your project most directly aims to impact and explain how your project fits. Most projects fit all strategic priorites. However, we would like project managers to focus their efforts on impacting 1-2 strategic priorities. Examples of strategic priorities can be found at here.
- Increasing quality (main priority): photo contest with associated edit-a-thons focused on integrating media on wiki projects; collaboration with active interest groups (nature photographers, ecological organisations)
- Increasing reach (secondary priority): presentations to the targeted audience (people interested in nature protection, nature photographers etc.), spreading the word about Wikimedia projects to underrepresented groups (by promoting the contest in areas with poor coverage of natural sites on Wikipedia and Wikimedia Commons)
Measures of successEdit
Please provide a list of both quantitative and qualitative criteria that will be used determine how successful the project is. You will need to report on the success of the project according to these measures after the project is completed. See the PEG Program Resources for suggested measures of success. Note: In addition to your project-specific measures of success, you will also be asked to report on some Global Metrics at the end of your final report. Please keep this in mind as you plan, and we'll support you as you begin your project.
- Number of participating countries: 15
- Number of photos uploaded: 50,000
- Total number of participants: 2,500
- Number of new users:1,000
- 4 months after the contest, 5,000 (and 10%) of photos are used on wiki projects
- 4 months after the event, 500 (and 1%) of uploaded photos are categorized as valued, quality or featured
- The prizes are handed out before October 2015 (with a possible exception for travel related prizes)
- At least 90% of the participating countries submitted nominees to the finale
Resources and risksEdit
- Team members
- Core team:
- Ilya (lists, jury tools, bots for categorization)
- NickK (coordination and communication, financial matters)
- Nabin K. Sapkota (social networks)
- Rodrigo Padula
- Other people helping us:
- Core team:
- Social media channels and website
- Previous experience
- Organisation of Wiki Loves Earth 2013 (grant report) and Wiki Loves Earth 2014 (international report, grant report to be published soon).
- Experience organising local editions of Wiki Loves Monuments and Wiki Loves Earth contests, international editions of Wiki Loves contests.
- Jury tool available (although improvable).
- Lists conversion tools and bots available from previous editions (may need adaptation for specific countries).
- Lists of monuments partly available from previous years (update and expansion needed).
- Potential partners available
- Fluctuating exchange rate and restrictions on use of foreign currency. Ukrainian Hryvnia is very volatile during the latest months, and our government makes us sell some 50% to 100% of incoming funds in foreign currency immediately upon reception.
- Solution: we would like to look for a fiscal sponsor to cover the expenses not in UAH.
- Huge differences between schedules between countries (in 2014 total duration of contest was about 2.5 months)
- Solution: clear deadlines, better work with local organisers to help them fit into the schedule; making sure that local organisers have all ressources in place to successfully organise the contest
- Problems with forming local jurys in particular countries (in 2014 Ghana was several months behind the schedule, India could not submit results on time as well)
- Solution: checking with local organisers in advance to make sure they have no such problems, providing them jury tools and jury members from abroad in case they cannot find local jurors.
Please provide a detailed breakdown of project expenses according to the instructions here. See Budget Guidelines. Grantees are subject to line-item scrutiny of expenses. Changes to the approved budget beyond 10% in any category must be approved in advance.
Project budget tableEdit
Exchange rate: 1 USD = 16.157817 UAH (as of 30 January)
|Number||Item description||Unit||Qty||Cost per unit (USD)||Total cost USD||WMF contribution (USD)||incl. WMUA part||incl. WMPL part||Other sources (USD)||Notes|
|1. Wiki Loves Earth 2015||
|1.1||International contest support||hour||300||66.29 UAH / 4.10 USD||1,230.00||1,230.00||1,230.00||0.00||We expect this work to be done by a part-time employee who is expected to work half-time from March to September. Ideally we would hire a student majoring in Communication, Public Relations or a similar sphere. The job would include coordinating international teams, international media support, research of partners and sponsors on the international level or contacting international jurors.|
|1.2||Post expenses (international)||project||1||
5,050.00 PLN / 1,300.00 USD
|0.00||1,300.00||All prizes and souvenirs to the winners of the international contest, jurors and local organisers will have to be sent by post, no international award ceremony is planned|
|1.3||Technical support||hour||300||81.00 UAH / 5.00 USD||1,500.00||200.00||200.00||0.00||1,300.00||We expect that most of this work (list conversion, monument search, geolocation tools etc.) can be done by volunteers, we have several members of our team with necessary skills and some international volunteers that have previously worked on WLM. We may need some external help (estimated at 40 hours) if we lack volunteers with specific skills|
|1.4||Prizes (international contest)||contest||1||80,789.00 UAH / 5,000.00 USD||5,000.00||4,000.00||0.00||4,000.00||1,000.00||As for Wiki Loves Monuments, we expect to provide a full scholarship for Wikimania to the main winner. We also expect to provide prizes to all authors of photos in top-15, some of them are expected to be funded by sponsors.|
|1.5||Souvenirs (international contest)||contest||1||10,099.00 UAH / 625.00 USD||625.00||325.00||325.00||0.00||300.00||Souvenirs to be distributed among participants of international contest, some of them may be funded by sponsors.|
|1.6||Presentations in other countries||trips||
|10,099.00 UAH / 625.00 USD||
|0.00||0.00||We will send volunteers to present the contest in other countries (to reach our target audiences, f. ex. WikiArabia 2015, ESEA Meetup etc.). We are planning to send people with good WLE experience and knowledge of local context that will be able to help setting up local cooperation.|
|1.6a||Wikimania presentation scholarship||scolarship||1||7,230.00 PLN / 1,875.00 USD||1,875.00||1,875.00||0.00||1,875.00||Scholarship to make a submission at Wikimania 2015: wm2015:Submissions/Wiki Loves Earth: why it is cool and how you can join.|
|1.7||Publishing WLE calendars and post cards||copies||
|70.00 UAH / 4.00 USD||
|0.00||0.00||Postcards and wall calendars with the best pictures from the contest. We are going to print them out on the recycled paper|
|1.7a||Publishing WLE calendars||copies||325||70.00 UAH / 4.00 USD||1,300.00||1,300.00||1,300.00||0.00||Wall calendars with the best pictures from the contest. We are going to print them out on the recycled paper. They will be made in Ukraine as production costs are much lower there (a similar calendar would be about 40 PLN = 10 USD in Poland) and will be shipped to Poland in a single batch (for example, with a Wikipedian travelling there). However, an average cost per copy will increase due to smaller quantity (printing less than 500 copies is more expensive in Ukraine for technological reasons).|
|1.7b||Publishing WLE post cards||sets||500||4.00 PLN / 1.00 USD||500.00||500.00||0.00||500.00||Sets of postcards with the best pictures from the contest. We are going to print them out on the recycled paper. They will be distributed during the events for promotion of Wiki Loves Earth.|
|2. Administrative expenses||
|2.1||Bank expenses||month||323.00 UAH / 20.00 USD||
|2.1a||Bank expenses in Ukraine||project||1||680.00 UAH / 42.00 USD||42.00||42.00||42.00||0.00|
|2.1b||Bank expenses in Poland||month||7||380.00 UAH / 98.00 USD||98.00||98.00||0.00||98.00|
|2.2||Website hosting||month||7||250.00 UAH / 15.00 USD||105.00||105.00||105.00||0.00|
|1,000.00||357.50||10% of the total grant sum. This includes unforeseen events as exchange gain/loss, transportation problems (e.g. cancelled flights), increase in air ticket fees (e.g. due to travel from remote airport insteaf of the one in capital) etc.|
Total cost of projectEdit
Total amount requestedEdit
- incl. 4,202.00 USD to WMUA (preferrably 1,050.50 USD in first installment, with 1,050.50 USD and 2,101.00 USD in further installments)
- incl. 8,130.50 USD to WMPL
Additional sources of revenueEdit
2,600.00 USD are to be fund-raised from our partners (prizes and souvenirs - 1,300.00 USD). Our volunteers are an additional source of revenue as well, as some work is to be done by them (around 1,300.00 USD).
See a description of non financial assistance available. Please inform the Wikimedia Foundation (WMF) of any requirements for non-financial assistance now.
- We will need informational support for Wiki Loves Earth, in particular, post(s) on WMF blog and an international banner in the SiteNotice;
- We would be glad if Wikimedia Foundation could provide a Wikimania scholarship to the winner of the international part of Wiki Loves Earth, otherwise it will be funded from this grant
- We may need supplies, printed materials and other merchandises (T-shirts, stickers, badges, calenders, posters etc) for outreach from Wikimedia Foundation
You are responsible for notifying relevant communities of your proposal, so that they can help you! Depending on your project, notification may be most appropriate on a village pump, talkpage, mailing list. Please paste a link below to where the relevant communities have been notified of this proposal, and to any other relevant community discussions. Need notification tips?
- the project page on Commons
- wikilovesearth lists.wikimedia.org (subscribe)
- IRC wikilovesearth
- wle wikimedia.org
- WMUA Board support
- WMUA mailing list
Do you think this project should be selected for a Project and Event Grant? Please add your name and rationale for endorsing this project in the list below. Other feedback, questions or concerns from community members are also highly valued, but please post them on the talk page of this proposal.
- An international contest is very important for the success of the project in several contries. There are already a good number of countries planning this contest for May. The international team could be a good work with this grant. Millars (talk) 22:48, 5 February 2015 (UTC)
- For grantees
If you are the grantee or representative that wrote this grant submission, you may request changes by using these links:
- This type of project promotes the development and exploration of diverse and rich natural territory. Excellent work. Brazil The Photographer (talk) 14:38, 23 April 2015 (UTC)